The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Unforunate to hear. What are your next steps? Do you plan on reapplying under another category?

Did the office recommend anything or just simply say tough luck. Sorry not sorry lol.

Crazy. I wonder what the denial reason is that they will give you if you meet all of the requirementsā€¦
Iā€™m on my fourth round of review now, second application, was hoping to get approved next week, but this doesnā€™t sound good.

Thatā€™s a bummer (Iā€™m still anticipating that my application will get rejected tbh) :frowning:

When did your application move to ā€œProfessional Review by Workforce Development Agencyā€? Mine has been stuck there since 1/19/2021ā€¦

Most Taiwanese companies check the Bank Of Taiwan (台ē£éŠ€č”Œ) or The Central Bank of the R.O.C (äø­å¤®éŠ€č”Œ) when they need to get the exchange rate. The way they calculate it is they add up the buy/sell values of the Spot Rate (å³ęœŸåŒÆēŽ‡) and divide it by 2 or they will just check the closing rate of the previous day (éŠ€č”Œé–“ę”¶ē›¤åŒÆēŽ‡) given by the Central bank. Of course, the rates will differ a bit between the previous and current day so it is up to both parties to come to an agreement on which exchange rates they will use going forward. I use the mid-point exchange rate of the BOT when dealing with my customers.

You can also check this Yahoo page for all the different bankā€™s exchange rates.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to apply for Science and Technology under the new salary provision. I prepared almost 10 supporting documents including a presentation I gave at a conference and even the results of my performance review.

If this does not go through, itā€™ll be clear to me that Taiwan no longer wants to issue gold cards.

Thatā€™s interesting. I wonder about renewals.

Latest statistics:
February 2021, +116 cards were approved. Total at 2,243
Application field of cardholders:
Tech: 241 (+13)
Economy: 1541 (+73)
Education: 138 (+10)
Arts: 169 (+5)
Sport: 1
Finance: 146 (+14)
Architecture: 7 (+1)

1 Like

Hey, what document did you provide to show the University rank?

Hi Andrew, you mentioned in one of the post that you switched your field to Education (top 200 university) later. What document did you provide to show that your University lies in Top 200? And was it overall world ranking or ranking by subject?

They allow you to use one of two world rankings lists. I donā€™t think you necessarily have to provide a document to show it. They can just reference and your school either made the top 200 or didnā€™t. But I guess if you screenshot the ranking it might just make life easier for everyone.

QS World Rankings: QS World University Rankings: Top global universities | Top Universities
Times Higher Ed: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings

Edit: Hmm, I see that Andrew already replied to you a few weeks ago with the same links and you said you werenā€™t top 200. Not sure what is going to change for youā€¦

1 Like

Based on ranking by subject, Times Higher Ed places my University in Top 500. Not sure if they will consider the overall work university ranking based on subject.

Nothing specific - just the PhD certificate and the staff check for themselves. Itā€™s the university ranking they use.

1 Like

I didnā€™t provide any documents on the ranking. They looked it up themselves. And they care about overall university ranking rather than ranking by subject.

1 Like

Applied on 14th January and receive this comment and a request to resubmit additional documents.

" Application result: documentation is insufficient. 1. The Ministry of Labor had consulted the Ministry of Economic Affairs on 22 February 2021 regarding this case. According to the Ministryā€™s reply on 26 February 2021, the applicantā€™s company mainly operates recycle business of metal, electronic devices, and city wastes. However, it is not within the economy field. Therefore, it is advised that you change to another category or field of which you may meet the criteria."

Iā€™m not sure if I should hire someone to help me with this or this should be the end of it if recycling is not qualified under economy field? I wonder if recycling can be partly related to green energy and I should apply it under 8 years of experience in such field.

May I ask what your timeline was like, please? For PhD from top 200, Iā€™m not really sure what Workforce Development Agency has to do except receive confirmation of ranking from Education Ministry - or quick Google search. This criterion does not seem to have a subjective element so should, in theory, be straightforward and fast to process.

Does anyone know if the foreignerā€™s freelance artist work permit is easier to get than the Arts/Culture gold card? And is it frowned upon if you apply for both at the same time? I applied for the GC but not sure if Iā€™ll be approved, and I wonder if itā€™s the same people evaluating the candidates for both

1 Like

19 October 2020: Created account in the system
20 October 2020: Submitted my application and payment
26 October 2020: You uploaded the wrong passport image
27 October 2020: Submitted the right passport image
20 November 2020: You need to submit additional docs to prove youā€™ve got 5+ yearsā€™ research and teaching experience
25 November 2020: Submitted additional documents
16 December 2020: Please bring your passport to our office - lolz weā€™re closed for Christmas though ā€¦
4 January 2021: Brought passport in
6 January 2021: Come get your passport back; weā€™re done with it
8 January 2021: Hereā€™s your passport ā€¦ And hereā€™s your card ā€¦ Syke! Surprise interview time! So, why do you want to go to Taiwan?
11 January 2021: Congrats! You passed the test! Now wait for your card ā€¦ itā€™s still in Taiwan
17 February 2021: Come pick up your card
24 February 2021: Pick up card

Now that I look at it properly, they didnā€™t take as long as I thought they did processing the card. Most of the delay is my fault lol ā€¦ and because we had Christmas and CNY in between.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. That was quite a roller coaster!

Applied on 14th January and receive this comment and a request to resubmit additional documents.

" Application result: documentation is insufficient. 1. The Ministry of Labor had consulted the Ministry of Economic Affairs on 22 February 2021 regarding this case. According to the Ministryā€™s reply on 26 February 2021, the applicantā€™s company mainly operates recycle business of metal, electronic devices, and city wastes. However, it is not within the economy field. Therefore, it is advised that you change to another category or field of which you may meet the criteria. "

Iā€™m not sure if I should hire someone to help me with this or this should be the end of it if recycling is not qualified under economy field? I wonder if recycling can be partly related to green energy and I should apply it under 8 years of experience in such field.

This is the same message I got with a job clearly within the ā€˜transportation toolsā€™ industry. Scroll up to my previous post for their response after I called.

Anyone else get a registered letter from their local TECO to the address you provided in your home country? They sent one to my parents placeā€¦ I was confused why I got it and wondered who sent it until I saw how they spelt my name (last name, first initial, middle name). Then I called the post office to confirm.

Hope itā€™s not important as Iā€™m here and its there!