"Employment gold card" for some foreigners



I checked that post and my reading of it is that I can apply for this, but, I suspect I’m not “supposed to”(I’m a special case they didn’t take in to consideration and might be a bit miffed


Perhaps give Ms Qiu at Ministry of Finance a ring and see how you go …



Can we ask in English? I emailed Ms. Lin (林文琦) from Ministry of Economic Affairs the questions below and has not got a reply.

Dear Ms. Lin,

I would like to apply for the 3-year Employment Gold Card under the Economy field and qualification of previously holding a position with monthly salary of at least NT$160,000. My questions are:

  1. Can I use my previous employer paystubs from 2017?
  2. What happens if my monthly salary in Taiwan is lower than NT$160,000?

I just want to make sure that I can still use paystubs that are within 3 years old and would like to get an official answer if the gold card will still be valid if my earning drops below 160K.


Generally, yes.

However, using older information may render your application non-qualifying. The requirement is “Previously or currently holding a position in a foreign state or in the ROC with a most recent monthly salary of at least NT$160,000.”

When I attended a workshop on the gold card last year, this statement had different interpretations at different ministries (eg how to avoid scamming the system by having one abnormally large pay slip). I think subsequently the NDC issued guidance, but can’t find that document right now. However, my understanding of what the speaker from the NIA said is if you’ve got a new job since your >160k per month job, you may be of luck.


For those who applied with the 160K criteria, did you have to have your documents checked, by who (the “embassy”, your ministry of economy, your ministry of foreign affairs ?) and how long did it take ?



I guess divide this into two categories:

  • Qualification documents
  • Identity documents

Qualification documents explain why your application should be approved, and vary depending on which category and field you applying under. These are submitted through the online portal, and are checked first by the Workforce Development Agency in addition to the relevant ministry. We’ve seen a best case of a few days, but normally this takes a few weeks, potentially longer if multiple rounds of vetting are required.

Identity documents are submitted to your local outpost of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Inside Taiwan, that’s the Bureau of Consular Affairs. Outside Taiwan, that’s your local embassy or trade office. This takes anywhere from an hour to 6 working days depending on your arrangements. This step comes after your qualifications have been approved.


If I understand well, it means that, as I am already in TW, I don’t have to have anything done by the administration of my own country, no certification of the documents I will provide or anything like that.
That is a relief, because it would take forever…


That’s my understanding :slight_smile: Haven’t come across anyone who needs that yet.


Thanks for amazing thread and tons of useful info.

Is there any updates on procedure for a spouse? As I understand spouse should get regular tourist visa to get into the country and change visa type at NIA locally, right?


I was informed that my spouse and kids ideally need to enter TW on a resident visa and then get the ARC within 15 days.
They can enter on another visa also but the paperwork is then similar to that required for a resident visa anyway so we’re doing it that way.


  • Foreign spouses with residency rights in Taiwan

  • Foreign Minors under 20 years of age and dependents of foreign parents with residency rights in Taiwan