The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Wow, I missed this part. This means that I can apply for this gold card based on my salary here in Canada? Which already is over that amount? Wow … It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

FYI

Qualification of Foreign Special Professionals
https://foreigntalentact.ndc.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=128B875DE9CBEBE3&s=0FCDB188C74F69A0

Picked up the gold card today!

Now that the process is complete, here’s some details about how it went for me:

• Applied (and received) the 3-year gold card as a technology professional based on the salary requirement
  • It took about 25 days between submitting the application and having the documents in hand
  • I did the whole thing in Taiwan on visa-exempt status
  • The application process can be done completely online and in English; in my case there was no need to translate or authenticate any documents. The application took me less than 1 hour to complete
  • Besides completing the application, the only other thing you need to do is submit your passport for inspection
  • If you’re a U.S citizen, the application fee for the 3-year card is NT$9260. I think it differs for citizens of other countries
  • The personal photo you submit for your application is the one that will appear on your ARC

Overall it’s a pretty simple and straightforward process.

8 Likes

@zackg,

I know it is 1-3 years, but is it an open work permit, or just a work permit belonging to you, and you still should work in the field of your profession, and the minimum salary for foreign professions is applied? Can you work as a freelance?

1 Like

Has anyone applied simply on the basis of having a doctorate from a ranked university? That would be sweeeeeet.

Zackg,
Do you have a link to the application? I rummaged around the information site but didn’t hit it. Might just be me. :frowning:

Here ya go!

https://coa.immigration.gov.tw/coa-frontend/four-in-one/entry/golden-card

2 Likes

Have a look at the criteria that’s linked above. Handing out this card to folks with doctorates is not what this new scheme is about.

Guy

The work permit is not tied to any employer, but I don’t think it’s an “open” work permit. I believe that you are still required to be engaged in “professional” work as described in article 46 of the labor standards act http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?PCode=N0090001.

I don’t believe that there’s any requirement that you work in your professional field.

Not sure about the minimum salary requirement / freelance work.

1 Like

I did look at the linked criteria. (Holding a doctorate from a ranked university, I am capable of reading. LOL)

A1:A foreign special professional with special expertise in the field of education must meet one of the following requirements:

1.They graduated with a doctoral degree from one of the top 200 universities in the most recent QS World University Rankings, Times Higher Education World University Rankings, or Academic Ranking of World Universities.

2.They have been engaged in teaching and research for more than five years, and in the past five years, they have worked at one of the top 500 universities in the most recent QS World University Rankings, Times Higher Education World University Rankings or Academic Ranking of World Universities.

3.They have won a Yushan (Young) Scholar award in Taiwan.

4.Their most recent monthly salary in a former or current position in another country or in Taiwan was at least NT$160,000.

Under “education”, that is a sole criterion (and the first one on the list): holding a doctorate from a ranked university.

2 Likes

Interesting! I guess I should also brush up on my reading comprehension skills. : P

Guy

1 Like

I just hope that really is all that’s required. It seems too easy.

1 Like

You seem right .

I’ll just put this quote from the article here. :neutral_face:

The minister [Scitech Minister Chen Liang-gee (陳良基)] said that there are things one cannot say in classrooms in China or that one cannot research, problems that he said do not exist in Taiwan.

“Taiwan is just like the U.S. You can do anything,” he continued.

"Taiwan is just like the U.S. You can do anything,” he continued.

Anything? Hmmm

I used this category (PhD from ranked university) and picked up my three-year Gold card today. Submitted the application in mid-Feb, just before New Year.

In the application, I provided a TECO-certified copy of my diploma. My previous ARC was on the basis of working for a national university (not a tenure-track position).

The application took 10 min. After the review period, I got an email asking me to print something from the application site and submit my original passport to the consulate. My passport was ready to pick up after about a week. Then I got another email saying that I needed print my application payment receipt and stop by immigration for the new ARC/gold card.

10 Likes

Congratulations! I’m glad to read that this is working out for some fellow forumosans.

Guy

1 Like

How long did it take between your application and the final answer ?
And then to get your physical ARC ?
Thanks

Which documents did you provide to prove your income ?
Thanks