The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Thanks!

One more => Is there a minimum time period after receiving the Gold Card that one is supposed to travel to Taiwan? It might take me a few months to move there. I’m considering applying soon for the fear of missing out i.e. rulles change, quota being enforced, processing times going through the roof etc etc

Quick update:
9/26 Received email from BOCA that passport had been validated
9/28 Received email from NI that Gold Card had been approved
9/30 Picked up passport from BOCA (didn’t take ticket or queue, per guidance from BOCA approached window on 2nd floor and was given passport immediately - saved me an hour or more of queuing).
9/30 Headed over to NIA and received my Gold Card (after providing printout of the application fee from the website) - 5 mins

Overall process start to finish from 8/28 through 9/28

Very grateful to this group for insight and guidance on the process - very helpful!

3 Likes

Summary: I applied under Science and Technology after arriving in July on a COVID special entry permit (90 day visitor visa).

8/12 Submitted online application with PhD diploma (from a top 200 university), Google scholar page, most highly-cited research paper, recently published textbook link, recent USPTO & WIPO patent, company offer letter detailing exec compensation, 2018 W2, recent company case-study. Left out certifications/regional & industry awards/open-source projects as I thought these would not be fully appreciated by the evaluators.
8/13 Status changed to “Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency”
9/14 Application received by Ministry of Science and Technology (heard there was a delay in processing the August applications at the Ministry of Labor)
9/24 Application approved by Ministry of Science and Technology,
9/30 Went to NIA in the morning to renew 90-day visitor visa (free, took 3 min for agent to stamp my passport and update their computer system). Rule is to go exactly 15 days before the expiry of the visitor visa, but due to Mid Autumn holiday/weekend I went in early.
9/30 Received email in the afternoon stating my Gold Card application has been approved, status changed to “IC Card in Process”

Hope to pick up the card next week at NIA. Since I arrived in Taiwan on a visitor visa, I did not have to verify my passport and there is nothing to download under Resident Authorization or Passport Submission Notice.

Hope this helps others applying under Science and Technology.

2 Likes

I applied for a Gold Card a little while ago, and sent a notarized copy of my passport to TECO SF a few weeks ago. coa.immigration.gov.tw says that the status is “Application Awaiting Supplementary Documents”, and the review comment is “Please correct the validity of your passport”. I also got an email reading:

You are applying for Employment Gold Card on 2020/08/06. After the examination by the department and the enterprise competent authority, the relevant information shall be made up.
Within 30 days after receipt of this notice, please re-enter the system and complete the online refill/supplement (or the applicant who needs to apply for materials abroad, and the time is 6 months). After completion of the supplementary information, the department and the competent authorities will handle the follow-up examination as soon as possible.
You can use the online bidding system to check the application status in < to-do zone> and make up the replacement parts.

I called Angela, and she said that they’re sending the passport to Taiwan, and that I should hear back within a week. Now it’s a week later, and I called and she said I should hear back by October 15th. I’m a little bit concerned by the “Please correct the validity of your passport” comment and the email (especially the 30-day notice), has anyone else experienced this? What happened on the coa.immigration.gov.tw website for other people who sent in a notarized copy to TECO SF?

Here’s my timeline, for the curious, applying under the “Economy” category using my W2 for the income requirement:

• 2020/08/06: Status: Submitted (Under Review)
  • 2020/08/10: Status: ćŸ…äșŒćŻ©
  • 2020/08/11: Status: Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency
  • 2020/08/31: Status: Passport Submission by Bureau of Consular Affairs or Overseas Missions of R.O.C. (Taiwan)
  • 2020/09/09: Sent notarized passport copy via USPS 1-day priority mail
  • 2020/09/14: USPS tracker shows envelope is delivered
  • 2020/09/14: Status: Under inspection
  • 2020/09/14: Status: Modified/Supplementary Documents
  • 2020/09/23: Talked to Angela, she says there should be an update within 1 week
  • 2020/09/30: Talked to Angela, she says there should be an update by October 15
3 Likes

Can you tell please is there a webpage that says the rule is exactly 15 days? I thought I understood “at least 15 days” when I spoke with NIA, but we were communicating in English so I may have missed something.

I haven’t understood this part. Perhaps visa renewal substitutes for passport inspection? The time for me to renew my visa may be before there is a change in my Gold Card application status from “Under Inspection”.

small detail 
 at some point in the past 20 days, my application status changed from “Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency” to “Under inspection”. I thought that I would receive an email notice for status changes, but I can’t find an email notice for this change. Anyway I hope it represents progress toward Gold Card issuance!

You sent a copy (notarized) of your passport, not the actual passport itself to SF TECO?

I sent my actual passport to SF TECO for verification and had it back in days.

No website, but the 15 day limit was confirmed both via telephone and in person at NIA. They almost asked me to come back at a later date until I explained that 15 days prior was a Sunday, and NIA is closed for Thu-Sun.

Not sure, but normally BOCA handles passport verification and not NIA. I think others have mentioned that they did not need to verify their passports.

1 Like

I entered Taiwan in mid March on tourist landing visa for 90 days - after I spoke with NIA (via phone - asked for my name, nationality and passport #) they let me know the “updated” extension date. They told me they track this in their systems so there is no need to go to the NIA Service Center to get my passport stamped. Last time I called them (about 2 weeks ago when I was trying to figure out some flights) they told me my landing visa was valid through early Dec. There was no mention of 15 days

I believe there were special extensions for people who arrived in March. No such luck for those late to the party

1 Like

I sent a notarized copy, not the original. When I first got the email saying I needed supplemental documents, I planned to just send in the original instead, but after calling them, they said that it was OK, so I’m not sure what’s going on :confused:

1 Like

When did you do your application?
I received notification a week or two ago that my application was approved but I still haven’t received my passport back and the tracking on my return package indicates it hasn’t been mailed yet by them. I’m wondering if they’re waiting until they receive the card and then they’ll send both to me at the same time.
Not sure who to ask about this since consular affairs’ extension number always goes to voicemail. I know everyone is slammed because of covid.

Hello, first time posting on Forumosa :slight_smile:

This is a long shot, but has anyone here used the gold card to become a resident in Taiwan but also maintain residency in a third country (i.e., not their home country)?

I live and work in Japan now. Would rather be living in Taiwan, but would like to keep my job in Japan (which requires keeping residency here). Japan and Taiwan appear to have a double taxation treaty/agreement. I would like to know if anyone has advice or a tax accountant they can recommend to ask about this situation where via the tax treaty I could be exempt from taxes in Taiwan by showing that I’m paying taxes in a third country.

Hello and welcome to Forumosa.

This information on when one becomes a tax resident of Taiwan might be useful:

Note that tax residence and residence for immigration purposes are mostly separate ideas in Taiwan.

1 Like

Technically there should not.
I got my Gold Card in July, I was supposed to move in September, but I might end up moving next June - the TECO in Singapore basically told me they have no clue but since the card is valid 3 years, 3 years it is.
So I hope no issues, I will let you know in a few months haha

Hello. I have a UK passport, am 50, work freelance as a writer (just starting a three-book contract) and have been editors and translators of various books, art magazines for over 25 years. Sounds good and just the sort of thing to get me a Gold Card, eh?

The only problem is that I have nothing spectacular to show, it seems to me, to be successful in the “Culture and Art” category - and that is the only one where I stand any chance (do not qualify on income).

Are there any firms in Taiwan which can help with the application by providing advice on what to select (I have no shortage of back experience, but maybe spread too thin over many areas) for my application to stand a better chance?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1 Like

Just to update on that one: Didn’t need to show any test when flying in.

When I showed my Gold Card at the airport (Frankfurt, Germany - one of the largest in Europe; flying with China Airlines) they looked quite surprised and had to call their supervisor who then asked me if I also have a “blue card” (or had one before). I denied that and also showed the resident authorization PDF which they also studied in detail. Finally they asked me if they could take a picture of my Gold Card to inquiry “why they haven’t been told about this kind of new card” yet. But finally accepted that card.

So my recommendation is to also carry the resident authorization PDF (printout) just in case the people at the airport don’t know about the Gold Card yet
 I think showing that one definitely helped.

3 Likes

Hello there,

I applied for the Gold Card visa back in August and after back and forth communication and sending new documents, it was finally approved this Tuesday. I then printed the receipt that they give and showed up at BOCA and successfully submitted my passport being said that I can come pick it up in a week (next Wednesday).

But today to my great surprise I got an email from BOCA saying that the following “Please be informed that regarding your employment gold card application we are unable to process it, therefore you may come to pick your passport at our counter with your receipt.”. So I’m a bit puzzled at the moment. I forwarded that email to Mrs Chien to ask her if she knows about this but I’m also curious if any of you might know what that actually means?

Thanks!

Update on this, Mrs Chien said that she has no clue what is this about. So I’ll try contacting them directly.