The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Hi everyone,

For those of you who saw my post in the last months you will remember that I was approved for my Gold Card application but unfortunately couldn’t be processed while in Taiwan because I am currently in Taiwan on a WHV (Working Holiday Visa) due to the fact that this type of visa couldn’t get transferred into any other type of visa.

So since today there was an update, but be informed that this might only concern French citizens (like myself) because an agreement was found in order to allow people holding a WHV to be able to transfer it to other visa type (including a Gold Card visa).

I went to BOCA today to re-submit my passport and will collect it back on Friday. Only uncertainty for my side is that I’m flying to France on Saturday and I’m guessing the actual card might not be ready by then so I’ll have to get it mailed to me in France…

Will keep you posted here. But yeah, this came late but this is good news.

3 Likes

Hum i have this kind of issue…I am french living in Canada, my 2019 T4 (annual tax document) shows a number slightly under the 1 920 000 TWD. Do I really need the 2020 T4 and wait February 2021 to get it to apply? Especially because every salary stub shows the progressive annual income earned and this one is over the requirement for few weeks already :confused:

Regards

Follow up of my post from 2 days ago, I just received a call from my contact at MOFA that my application was approved and that I will be able to pickup my passport at BOCA tomorrow and then go collect my gold card at NIA. I understand that this is a bit exceptional due to the particular situation I was in so I think my case should probably not be setting expectations in terms of how fast the card can be produced. But I’m extremely happy to hear that they were able to accommodate me in this way. Will post on the channel tomorrow to confirm that I got the card :slight_smile:

what was your time frame?

The full timeline is something like that:

• Applied back in August
  • Got approved for technical review in early October
  • Submitted my passport but got it back 2 days after because MOFA cannot process my visa application (I explained why in my earlier posts)
  • Got a call from MOFA this Tuesday to inform me that my government and Taiwan government found an agreement that would allow me and others to transfer from a WHV to other visa type
  • Submitted my passport at BOCA this Tuesday
  • Getting back my passport tomorrow (Friday) and supposedly my IC card as well

But once again, this was due to exceptional circumstances and should not be used as a reference if you want to apply for the gold card under normal circumstances.

2 Likes

Yes, the tax statement must show an annual income of at least 160,000x12 NTD, not a single cent less. If yours from 2019 doesn’t, you will need to wait until you have the new one (smoother way) or try and contact the Gold Card office (tougher way) to check whether a statement from your company about your current salary will do.

Just an addition that came to my mind. Considering that the Taiwanese dollar appreciated against many currencies this year, maybe the conversion rate that you used is more unfavourable than the one that will be applied during the assessment. It might even turn the “slightly under” that you mentioned into a “slightly over”.

I kind of remember NDC stating the official rate used for the conversion somewhere. Am I wrong? It might be worth checking.

I just got the email from Nyasis for the passport control.
Timeframe:
Applied 14.11
9.12 request for more information. They didn’t like my income statement from Austria as a self employed. Gave them a call and got told to write a letter explaining that freelancers in Austria are kind of self employed - and the same tax rules applies. Freelancers seem to be officially okay - but they want to see your contracts or similar. I therefore explained what I do and posted my website that I run for work as self employed. So better give them more info than too little if you are self employed/freelancer. Make sure they can see you’re not a cheapskate just barely making the 1.92M NTD, and that your income is from work and not from capital.
17.12 - Got the email for passport control.

Just got a date on Monday for checkup - however the Austrian Teco doesn’t know what to do! They have never had someone with a gold card. What shall I tell them on Monday to check for in my passport? Just check that I am the owner of the passport and print out my Taiwan Gold Card application so that they can see it matches - and tell them to report that to the Gold Card responsible department in Taiwan? I know I need to bring a printout of the Passport submission notice from he portal.

Should I get any kind of stamp into my passport - or nothing? I put pickup of the gold card in Taipei…

Final update here with my gold card in hand :tada:

If some of you need special assistance from MOFA regarding your gold card application, I’d recommend to get in touch with Victoria Lai whom has been of great help in my case. Her contact is in the list of contacts provided on Taiwan Gold Card FAQ. Also thanks to Taiwan Gold Card office here for their help!

Happy holidays and merry Christmas to all!

3 Likes

I have a question regarding annual income on tax statement. My current salary is over NT 160,000 and I’ve been paying Taiwan taxes as a tax resident. My taxes in the last 3 years have been pro rate by the number of days I’m in Taiwan since I stay >183 but <300 days. However, the gross income on my tax statement is showing the pro-rated amount after the NT$200k deduction, which makes it less than NT160k a month. Does this mean I’m not qualified for it? Or they will still accept it if I show my full tax return calculation?

Thank you!

1 Like

There was an article in Taipei Times on relaxing the criteria for the financial category (linked).
Buried in there was another interesting statement which suggests easing of criteria in other categories too:

"Foreigners who have never worked in the financial industry could also apply for a gold card if they have worked in the fields of fintech, e-commerce, digital economy, technology or renewable energy for more than three years, down from the current five-year requirement, the commission said.

They do not need to have worked in finance-related positions, but their work content or contribution should be relevant to finance, Huang said. "

Any thoughts on that?

Hi, just saw this and I am a bit similar situation working for a regional organization. Did you finally reach someone or received the gold card visa? Thanks

Just wanted to double check, are we still at the stage where we need to use a pdf compressor to compress and/or split up our documents for uploading? That’s the best practice given the current system? TIA

Welp I just wasted 300$usd and a month of waiting for nothing.
Ministry of culture rejected my application. Gave no further explanation no further ability to give more documents. Sealed shut and done.
Kinda bummed out. I had a letter of recommendation from my cities biggest private art organization/curator and 10 years of experience with also proof of invites to events in Taiwan that were literally government sponsored… Magazine interviews I’ve been in…I’m gonna investigate and try to get a real answer from somebody. What a horrible process. They had the answer a week ago but they never updated it because of all the confusion amongst the enormous amount of government groups they have dealing with the thing. I talked to someone else who had gotten a gold card under arts and all he had submitted was a few pics of a magazine he had been in and he got in! Lmao…Wish me luck trying untangle this… I may apply for the artist work permit since it’s easier and more concrete on their requirements but I guess it’s gonna be the same people from the moc reviewing it so might not even be worth the damn hassle. What a joke.

I forget the file size limit (1mb maybe?) but I uploaded a copy of my taxes which was about 80 pages (320kb).

1 Like

The Ministry of Science and Technology slightly relaxed its qualifications for Employment Gold Cards in technology.

2 Likes

New CDC rules in effect as of Jan 1st.

I chose to pickup the gold card in taiwan. So technically dont have an ARC just the entry permit.

Do you know if this will cause issues ? Would love to hear from someone traveling in early Jan with just the permit from the portal.

4 Likes

Print the form in the portal. It’s a document saying you have an ARC :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d like to know this as well. I’ve just emailed Gold Card support for confirmation, will let you know what I hear.

1 Like

They got back to me, we’re good to go. No issues since were technically residents.

1 Like

I’m expecting my approval next week (assuming I get approved), and the nearest diplomatic office is 3 hours from me. For the passport verification, I know that you can mail it, but can you also have someone go for you? Either to take it to them, or to pick it back up a few days later? When I applied for a visa to China I had to do something at the embassy 3 hours away and I hired a visa service to go for me. Can I do the same?