Employment Services Act, new Article 51

According to what I know of the application procedures, you should not have any problem.

Just got our Permanent ARC’s and am looking into the OWP… A few questions to those who have done it:

1. As holders of PARC’s, did you just fill out the work permit (personal) application form and that’s it?

2. I’ve seen the form and it doesn’t say any specific field of work – is this right? Does this mean that I can do consulting work for a business here and perform music there?

3. I’ve heard something that you have to specifically apply for a certain type of work (like teachers, religous workers, artists, etc) and once you’ve done so, there’s no way to change over to a different field. Is this correct?

4. Once you have this OWP, any rescrictions that the authorities “left out”? Any experiences from those who have OWPs?

Thanks for any info on this!

quote:
Originally posted by Hartzell: According to what I know of the application procedures, you should not have any problem.

Think this subject belongs in a place where everybody can see it.

Richard, do you need a copy of my OWP?

The CLA seems to be in doubt regarding whether you have to renew the OWP when you renew your ARC.

I’d like to inquire. How do I do that?

Holger

[Moderator’s note: It is not necessary to renew your OWP when you renew your ARC.]

Got my OWP last week. 15 days after applying via mail. Thanks for the help everyone.

Congrats.

So far as I know an OWP will be valid as long as you renew your ARC.

There is no expiry date on the OWP. So as long as one has a valid ARC, one’s OWP is valid.

Let’s not complicate matters and add an extra trip to the CLA every year or three.

[quote]There is no expiry date on the OWP. So as long as one has a valid ARC, one’s OWP is valid.

Let’s not complicate matters and add an extra trip to the CLA every year or three.[/quote]

That’s what I thought at first - as long as you have a valid ARC, you don’t have to renew your OWP. But looking at the work permit carefully with my wife, I think you MIGHT have to renew it when you get the ARC. Sorry, I can’t remember the wording, but my impression was that it was unclear, and to be on the safe side you should check when your ARC expires.

Has anyone with an OWP had their ARC expire yet?

Brian

Hi guys:

According to this news:

portal.gio.gov.tw/cna/20030108/2 … 11632.html

Does it mean that we won’t need to apply work permit anymore?

as it said:

“In addition, the committee also approved a revision to the same
law permitting foreign brides who marry Taiwanese men to have the
right to work immediately upon receiving a residence permit without
having to make an application to the CLA.”

As I’ll renew my JFRV ARC soon, it’d good to clarify this issue :wink:

cheers,

SDB Wrote:
"Has anyone with an OWP had their ARC expire yet? "

I have just renewed my ARC, and quite frankly, I’m not going to bother with my OWP, as the wife said there was no need to and I certain no one will ask.

If the wording is so vague, shouldn’t we just leave this stone unturned?

well the other problem is that when you renew your ARC this time, you should have changed to the new 10 digit ID number, so it won’t match the number specified in your OWP… :shock:

Ah, but I have have both numbers on my ARC.

The new number is just an amendment on the back of my renewed ARC. My ARC therefore still states my original ID number, so I don’t foresee a problem.

What is this leaving the country for at least 40 days about???
Fill me in
Oh ok, a bit more reading shows that this is for blue collar workers - is that right?

[quote]I have just renewed my ARC, and quite frankly, I’m not going to bother with my OWP, as the wife said there was no need to and I certain no one will ask.

If the wording is so vague, shouldn’t we just leave this stone unturned?[/quote]

God no don’t. I was kicked out of the country for 14 months (despite being married to a local woman) because I did not read the fine print on my JFRV. Actually it was more like a case of not getting the print to read in the first place. Yes, the notice was available, but it was tucked into a cubby hole across the office and no one told me or more wife to go look at it. Ignorance of the law, in Taiwan or anywhere, is no excuse should the authorities catch you.

I suggest you spend a little more time finding out what to do. Get whatever answers you can in writing. It’s easy to avoid the law in Taiwan. Once it catches up to you though you’re in for a rough ride.

Much Man,

You’ve lost me. my visas are all in order. I have just received a three-year extension for my ARC.

What is this about the JFRV?

Alleycat don’t you already have an OWP. If you don’t, I’d say like Mucha Man, you’d be better off getting one rather than risk getting booted out.

Thanks Amos:

I have:
An ARC based on my marriage, recently renewed;
An OWP, and employment based on it; I will not renew it even though someone said earlier that there was some vague wording on the OWP stating that it needs to be renewed. In other words, it is not certain whether we need to renew. So I won’t.

I don’t want the extra trip to the CLA, or add extra red tape, where it may not be needed.

Sure, as far as I understand the OWP is valid as long as your marriage-based ARC is.

[quote]That’s what I thought at first - as long as you have a valid ARC, you don’t have to renew your OWP. But looking at the work permit carefully with my wife, I think you MIGHT have to renew it when you get the ARC. Sorry, I can’t remember the wording, but my impression was that it was unclear, and to be on the safe side you should check when your ARC expires. [/quote]Far from certain to say the least. Anyway, didn’t Richard say somewhere that as long as you keep your ARC valid, the OWP is too? Pretty sure it’s buried here somewhere.

I said that. The thing is, even with my wife’s help, we couldn’t understand the legal Chinese. Is it really that the OWP is valid while you have a valid visa, or that your OWP is valid while your visa is valid (which could mean the current visa, which would mean that you have to renew the OWP when you renew the visa (in the same way that you have to renew your driving licence). It would be useful for everyone if someone with an OWP is getting their ARC renewed were to make the effort to go down to the CLA and try and get a definitive answer. Now who could that be …

Oh Yeah, PS what Mucha Man is getting at here, is that if the police come checking and you pull out your OWP and they say “I’m sorry, that’s expired, you should have renewed it when you renewed your ARC” and you say “but the wording isn’t clear and nobody told me” they’re not going to give a toss and when you say “but my wife and my whole life is in Taiwan, I can’t leave” they’re going to give even less. Might only be a small chance, but do you want to take it?

[Moderator’s note: You do not have to renew your OWP if your “ARC status” remains valid. ]

My boss just told me that he read in yesterdays newspaper that spouses of local citizens no longer need a work permit, an ARC based on marriage will be sufficient. He said it was in all the newspapers. Is it true? I can’t find it in the online editions.