English language ATMs

I use a Cathay Bank ATM in my local Family Mart. There doesnt seem to be an English Option, BUT, when I put my card in, it presumably detects the Country of Issue (Australia in my case) and up comes an English menu.

Hmmm…too smart for its own good? Not everyone using a local bank account is Chinese. It reminds me of the problems I have getting Google to talk to me in English here, Would be good if they just gave you the options and you vcould choose.

It would not surprise me if Taishin has decided to ‘improve’ its interface in the same way.

Face recognition! See foreign face, switch to English!

1 Like

It seems “switching to English UI” is a popular means of scamming people. They do this because most here can’t understand English so they can basically tell them to transfer their life savings.

This thread is limited to FamilyMart. They’ve fucked up with a premature interface change. All other ATMs have functional English language options. The only exception, IME, is when they need to link to another bank for a money transfer. Then it often reverts to Chinese.

I just know about the Taishin bank ATMs in Family Mart. That is where I see them.I did all my bank transactions from these machines and the clarity was great. Every month I transfer money to several saved local account numbers without breaking sweat. But that is all over if this bank has changed its interface to only Chinese.

That might explain why my European card kept generating Chinese after starting in English. But these Taishin ATMs are the only ones I have used since that experience.

But reading BD I wonder if he is saying all Taishin bank ATMs outside of Family Mart are unchanged? It is FM that FU…not the bank?

It’s not FamilyMart’s fault, they just rent out the space.

2 Likes

Yes. I am wrong about this. Although also right in that the problem is specific to ATMs in FamilyMarts.

Ghost month?

Could be. The English option is in Chinese, if that helps.

How does ‘English’ look in Chinese? I can check easily enough but often there is some ‘slip between cup and lip’ (two words for English, etc). I guess the easiest way is to ask someone in the shop to point out the button for English. After that it should be easy enough to move ahead and remember that button for the future. I hope the English interface is the same and it still remembers my saved account numbers. Where I work there is an ATM for this bank inside an OK store, so I am hoping that one is not affected (closed for the last week, but open on Monday)

Anyway, things seem clearer now. Thanks. ‘English’ written in Chinese seems rather hilarious.

I can’t read much Chinese, so I’d need to go to a FamilyMart and photograph it for you.

Can you not go to another convenience store that isn’t run by retards? That would be simplest.

Sure, it is not a problem. This Taishin bank seems to be mostly in FM–But there is a branch of the bank not far away. Also, the OK is in my work place. I hope these interfaces are unchanged. I will just ask someone in FM to show me the button. I know them and they are still sensitive to the ATM changes. Google translate will do it.

Thanks again.

Update

To change the language of the Taishin ATM to English ,you can change the settings before insert the card , it should have a “language” option

4 Likes

Thanks. That is very useful. I will check tomorrow.

1 Like

I just used the one by my house and it has an English option:

EDIT: Whoops, I see that @chydals already posted that

3 Likes

I had the same issue when transferring rent payment to my landlady. Pretty annoying. I do hope the problem you mentioned is temporary.

I just used it for the first time. I set the language option before inserting my card. The interface that came up seemed to have the same options as before but was accompanied by a distractingrobotic voice and seemed slower than before. I just made a withdrawal and that seemed fine. I did not try the Transfer option. Did anyone do this and discover if the new interface has saved numbers regularly transferred to before the interface change? I will have quite a bit if inputting to do if the numbers are not still saved in memory. But my next transfer is not due for a couple of weeks,

The ATM in the loca; OK store had also changed–so it’s not on;y FM. I imagine it’s a general change–or soon will be.

1 Like