English language ATMs

The interface doesn’t save them, it’s on your card and has to be read-out by the system.

Family Mart is my favorite ATM for foreigners. English friendly.

7/11s are not good for foreigners. But I get my coffee there.

This one near Taipei train station tried today and seems to be new system and let’s you pick language.

Family Mart
No. 26號, Xuchang Street, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City,
https://goo.gl/maps/nsUUgTq6z88AT6DG8

2 Likes

Seven language choices. Always works for me.

Apparantly English speakers don’t need to do services like deposits, etc.

6 Likes

I think that might just be a temporary issue with that ATM to be honest - it seems to be a CTBC machine, and the deposit feature is usually there…

that was an annoyance for me when I couldn’t read Chinese. I was trying to do a payment to my credit card on that machine (and I bet its the CTBC 7-11 one isn’t it), and I didn’t see that option in English. I went into the branch for help and they had to show me on the machine where the cash deposit option is in Chinese.

1 Like

But…I’m always depositing money into my CTBC account at both branch ATMs and 7-11 ones, and the icon is usually there! :thinking:

It’s been like this since I arrived 12 years ago. I remember because I quickly had to learn the Chinese for deposit. It surprises me that it’s still this way after more than a decade. Could it be only ATMs in Taoyuan?

Oh that’s weird. I can just confirm that I regularly deposit money into CTBC ATMs and have no idea what the Chinese word for deposit is haha. I’ll try to take a photo next time I’m doing it!

This is what I just got at a CTBC ATM in 7-11 after choosing the “English” option:

And you got stuff like this which makes banks not want to do much for English interface…

So strange, because the screen I posted above, without a deposit option in English, is what I always see. I’m curious, are you in Taipei? I’m in Taoyuan and I wonder if the machines have different software somehow.

Yes, this is in Taipei. I’ve used a few different ATMs and that’s the screen I always see…weird!

Interestingly enough, it seems that CTBC has now “upgraded” its ATM software and removed the English option. A completely different layout to before too. This was in Taipei at two different ATMs (one in a 7-11, one inside a branch).

I guess we’ll have to wait until Taiwan becomes bilingual in 2030 to have the English option again? :sweat_smile:

(I might send an email to complain actually, if I can find an email address and the motivation for futile acts.)

3 Likes

I stopped by a CTBC machine a few days ago and it had a new interface - the English was available if you hunted for it a bit though would have been hard to find if you weren’t able to read enough Chinese to do so.

3 Likes

I just used the CTBC ATM and was slightly taken aback when I noticed a new interface… I usually only make deposits when using the machine and out of habit I was looking at the top right for the 存款 button …Anyway, for those needing an English option with the upgraded software, we have to first insert the card, key in your password and then you will see an English option on the top of the screen.

1 Like

Yes, well…

It does have cute ducks (I think they’re ducks).

The English option’s in English?

That’s good to know - thanks! I did search briefly for an English option, but there didn’t seem to be anything obvious on the initial screen (there were a few options at the top that seemed to take me to a business login/cardless login or something). I didn’t notice anything after entering my PIN either, so I’ll have to take a closer look next time.

The deposit process actually seemed a lot more convoluted than before, notwithstanding the language issue - IIRC, I had to choose the deposit option, then that I wanted to deposit TWD rather than JPY (?), then choose which of my accounts I wanted to deposit it to (the TWD one of course?), then confirm the account number, then do something else, then put in the money, then confirm the amount (maybe twice, actually), then confirm God knows what a couple of times, then choose whether I wanted a receipt or to display the details on screen or neither, then decide which stupid NT$3 vouchers I wanted (none)…the English version I used previously seemed a lot faster (insert card, enter PIN, choose English, choose deposit, enter money, confirm, choose receipt or not, job done).

1 Like

I just checked. The icon is very small and in the top right hand corner.

2 Likes