English to Chinese web browser software

Hey friends,

Y’all know phone apps like The Chairman’s Bao and other similar ones? Basically, they write specialized news articles and embed a feature within each character, so if you don’t know the character you can click it to get a simple dictionary translation. Anyone know of a similar program or google plugin that will do the same thing that serves that function for a web browser? Even a special website where I can copy and paste an entire article and have the ability to point in on and translate specific characters will do good. I know there’s some good translation websites, one exellent one is baidu fanyi, but I’m tired of using a dictionary to translate individual character for character; even using Pleco screen reader isn’t quite convenient. I’m searching for something I can use on my laptop.

If there’s not yet a web browser plugin for that, someone get on it. It’s a million dollar idea, I’d pay like $20 for such a thing, the technology is out there and it’s surely just a few years away at the most.

have you tried google translate chrome plugin ?

1 Like

Hey Taiwan friend, great suggestion. That’s the first time I’m seeing that. Is there a way to toggle on an option to see pinyin too?

Could start a new topic, but this seems relevant too, (i.e. the Google plugin may still be the best option).

Looking for a good browser (any browser) plugin for translation of traditional characters to English. There’s quite a few of them nowadays but they seem to be mostly mainland Chinese or Hong Kong derived - even when they support traditional characters my wife says the pronunciation still isn’t right for Taiwan.

In a perfect world I’d be able to just highlight a line of text and have both an English and Pinyin translation pop up along with a button for audio with Taiwanese pronunciation.

Does that exist yet? :ponder: