Enlightening Critique, Please: Pentagon Culture

Old news, but new ideas (at least, new to me).

A couple of weeks ago I got around to reading Blink (a thoroughly engaging read) and the discussion of ret. Lt-Gen. Paul Van Riper has stuck with me.

In 2002, he played the Red leader in the most expensive war games ever staged, and apparently managed to out-think and out-fight the Blue team, which was caught up in a web of ideologically-driven minutia.

I’ve since tracked down a couple of related pieces which I would appreciate having critiqued. Please, keep the debate over the actual war to a minimum: this is (I believe) about where the intellectual rubber meets the road (or spins off of it, as the case may be). Maybe it’s better to say it seems to be about institutional conditions in the planning for war, rather than the current conduct of the war. Either way, I’m sure that there’s a lot to be learned about being too tied into a particular program, the difficulties of thinking (and responding) outside the box: both of which are politically significant.

I have a number of questions, but being ignorant of a large number of factors, I’m not even sure how to pose the questions (nevermind what they should be). I am acutely interested in what others think/ know/ see in this.

If you’ve read Blink, that’s a great place to start. The articles I’ve been reading in addition to that are this PBS piece Interview: Paul Van Viper, At the breaking point, By Robert Schlesinger(access requires membership or not paying attention to a commercial. It’s too long so I’ll not post it.), and Army Times

Background highlights from a London Guardian article:

[quote=“London Guardian”]At the height of the summer, as talk of invading Iraq built in Washington like a dark, billowing storm, the US armed forces staged a rehearsal using over 13,000 troops, countless computers and $250m. Officially, America won and a rogue state was liberated from an evil dictator.

What really happened is quite another story, one that has set alarm bells ringing throughout America’s defence establishment and raised questions over the US military’s readiness for an Iraqi invasion. In fact, this war game was won by Saddam Hussein, or at least by the retired marine playing the Iraqi dictator’s part, Lieutenant General Paul Van Riper.

In the first few days of the exercise, using surprise and unorthodox tactics, the wily 64-year-old Vietnam veteran sank most of the US expeditionary fleet in the Persian Gulf, bringing the US assault to a halt.

What happened next will be familiar to anyone who ever played soldiers in the playground. Faced with an abrupt and embarrassing end to the most expensive and sophisticated military exercise in US history, the Pentagon top brass simply pretended the whole thing had not happened. They ordered their dead troops back to life and “refloated” the sunken fleet. Then they instructed the enemy forces to look the other way as their marines performed amphibious landings. Eventually, Van Riper got so fed up with all this cheating that he refused to play any more. Instead, he sat on the sidelines making abrasive remarks until the three-week war game - grandiosely entitled Millennium Challenge - staggered to a star-spangled conclusion on August 15, with a US “victory”.

If the Pentagon thought it could keep its mishap quiet, it underestimated Van Riper. A classic marine - straight-talking and fearless, with a purple heart from Vietnam to prove it - his retirement means he no longer has to put up with the bureaucratic niceties of the defence department. So he blew the whistle.

His driving concern, he tells the Guardian, is that when the real fighting starts, American troops will be sent into battle with a set of half-baked tactics that have not been put to the test.

“Nothing was learned from this,” he says. “A culture not willing to think hard and test itself does not augur well for the future.” The exercise, he says, was rigged almost from the outset. [/quote]

(this is from memory…pardon any mistakes)

I was under the impression that many of the Pentagon’s theory/practices was based on the OKW model. The first gulf war showed the influence that the OKW’s and,especially Guderian’s, theory of the armored warfare. I can’t believe that the Pentagon would go from a textbook plan of operations to a clusterfuck.

Tactically speaking, I don’t see any major errors with the offensive operations in Gulf war 2. The problems stem from after the war was won.

Jaboney,

Please… The Guardian is the proper title, not the “London Guardian”, That is as irritating as “The London Times” (The Times of London is OK). And anyway, The Guardian orginated in Manchester not London and is still associated more closely with that city. Oh and please, never do as the American media do and refer to “London England”. It is really annoying having our place names dumbed down for people in New York, United States or Toronto, Canada :grrr:

BroonAltrichamEveningNews

[quote=“BroonAle”]Jaboney,

Please… The Guardian is the proper title, not the “London Guardian”, That is as irritating as “The London Times” (The Times of London is OK). And anyway, The Guardian orginated in Manchester not London and is still associated more closely with that city. Oh and please, never do as the American media do and refer to “London England”. It is really annoying having our place names dumbed down for people in New York, United States. :grrr:

BroonAltrichamEveningNews[/quote]

I do believe that Jaboney isn’t an American…you might want to change your erroneous portrayal of New York to Queen Victoria’s Secret or whatever major city our neighbors in the north call a capital city.
:secret:

[quote=“Durins Bane”][quote=“BroonAle”]Jaboney,

Please… The Guardian is the proper title, not the “London Guardian”, That is as irritating as “The London Times” (The Times of London is OK). And anyway, The Guardian orginated in Manchester not London and is still associated more closely with that city. Oh and please, never do as the American media do and refer to “London England”. It is really annoying having our place names dumbed down for people in New York, United States or Toronto, Canada :grrr:

BroonAltrichamEveningNews[/quote]

I do believe that Jaboney isn’t an American…you might want to change your erroneous portrayal of New York to Queen Victoria’s Secret or whatever major city our neighbors in the north call a capital city.
:secret:[/quote]

Yes I realise that he isn’t an American so I have amended the above post to more accurately reflect his origins. I am very sorry to have caused offence. It is so unlike me. I am trying to google Paris on the computer but I can’t find anything and at times like this I wish I had a copy of USA Today handy so I could find it.

BroonAlberta

There’s London to a Canadian. Not sure if it’s paper’s called the Gruniad or not though.

I use to think Canucks were the easiest to get riled up, but living overseas I can say without a doubt the English are by far the champs :smiley: If you are bored and looking to entertain yourself try the passive aggressive approach. When they say they

So what are you all saying?

:sunglasses:

What is to be said about the material that you’ve presented? Not surprising. Many on this forum believe the Bush Admin/Neocons to be ideologically driven, and as masters of the military, it is not surprising that this process has been passed on to the military as well. It is interesting to see that not all military men are dingbat sycophants.

Bodo

[quote=“Bodo”]What is to be said about the material that you’ve presented? Not surprising. Many on this forum believe the Bush Admin/Neocons to be ideologically driven, and as masters of the military, it is not surprising that this process has been passed on to the military as well. It is interesting to see that not all military men are dingbat sycophants.
Bodo[/quote]Bodo -
But you infer that most are “dingbat sycophants.
And you base this comment on your many years of experience with various military personnel and groups?
It is comments such as this - ones based on a lack of knowledge rather than any real world sourcing - which hinder a n objective discussion on topics such as this.
But please, don’t let this hinder the cliche’s from flowing. We all enjoy the entertainment.

HG has started a relevant thread concerning am article by a British general on the war in Iraq. You might read the two links I provided on that thread and gain some further perspective on subjects relevant.
Its a quite good article and should provide some interesting head food for debate.

Agreed. I see quite a bit of overlap here in relation to the articles you linked TC, but then again I’ve not read the book Jaboney is referring to.

Just to be clear, that article, Changing the army for counterinsurgency ops
does refer more generally to the role played by the US military and how it came about. It is a critique, but also highlights the positives. A very balanced and interesting read IMO.

Also mentioned are aspects of the culture within the military, such as the “can do” attitude, concentration of power and at times a lack of desire to hear or be the bearer of bad news, which may go someway towards explaining the results of those war games.

Thanks again for the links TC.

HG

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Bodo”]What is to be said about the material that you’ve presented? Not surprising. Many on this forum believe the Bush Admin/Neocons to be ideologically driven, and as masters of the military, it is not surprising that this process has been passed on to the military as well. It is interesting to see that not all military men are dingbat sycophants.
Bodo[/quote]Bodo -
And you base this comment on your many years of experience with various military personnel and groups?
It is comments such as this - ones based on a lack of knowledge rather than any real world sourcing - which hinder a n objective discussion on topics such as this.
But please, don’t let this hinder the cliche’s from flowing. We all enjoy the entertainment.

HG has started a relevant thread concerning am article by a British general on the war in Iraq. You might read the two links I provided on that thread and gain some further perspective on subjects relevant.
Its a quite good article and should provide some interesting head food for debate.[/quote]

TC - I apologize. Obviously, I have offended you. I know that you have past military experience, and so very strongly identify with the military. In no way am I saying you are a dingbat sycophant, nor am I calling my brother who’s a colonel in the US Air Force a dingbat sycophant, or my brother who’s a Captain in the Army one, or my father who is retired one or my cousin’s (one a Naval aviator and the other an Airforce pilot) one or all of the other folks I’ve known growing up like General Richard Milnes or Colonel Al Corey and so on sycophants and dingbats. I grew up in the D.C. area, and even worked for the defense industry and held a security clearance at one time. Please try to refrain from assumptions about me and my background. You don’t know me. And despite my flippant comments, I may know a little more than you think I do. Please try not to be so condescending in the future - it doesn’t make for an conducive debating environment or one that encourages sharing ideas and opinions.

Bodo :frowning:

[quote=“Bodo”][quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Bodo”]What is to be said about the material that you’ve presented? Not surprising. Many on this forum believe the Bush Admin/Neocons to be ideologically driven, and as masters of the military, it is not surprising that this process has been passed on to the military as well. It is interesting to see that not all military men are dingbat sycophants.
Bodo[/quote]Bodo -

Its a quite good article and should provide some interesting head food for debate.[/quote]

TC - I apologize. Obviously, I have offended you. I know that you have past military experience, and so very strongly identify with the military. In no way am I saying you are a dingbat sycophant, nor am I calling my brother who’s a colonel in the US Air Force a dingbat sycophant, or my brother who’s a Captain in the Army one, or my father who is retired one or my cousin’s (one a Naval aviator and the other an Airforce pilot) one or all of the other folks I’ve known growing up like General Richard Milnes or Colonel Al Corey and so on sycophants and dingbats. I grew up in the D.C. area, and even worked for the defense industry and held a security clearance at one time. Please try to refrain from assumptions about me and my background. You don’t know me. And despite my flippant comments, I may know a little more than you think I do. Please try not to be so condescending in the future - it doesn’t make for an conducive debating environment or one that encourages sharing ideas and opinions.

Bodo :frowning:[/quote]
I’m not anti-semitic! I’ve got lots of Jewish friends! :unamused: