Enrolling in graduate school in Taiwan but concern about military conscription

Hi everybody! Hoping somebody here is able to help with this question - I am a Taiwanese American that has a passport with household registration. I was interested in potentially enrolling in a master’s program at a Taiwanese university, but there is a concern of being drafted as I am within age of conscription. I heard from a friend recently though that if you are enrolled in school that they don’t actually count the days towards the 183 days you can stay in the country… can somebody here confirm that or refer me to any resources? Appreciate it so much, thanks!

Conscription Regulations for Naturalized Aliens & Returning Overseas Chinese
article 4

In case of a draftee-to-be as an Overseas Chinese returning for schooling, the period conforming to the requirements of deferred enlistment shall not be counted into the period of residence.

1 Like

Thanks for the fast reply!! I’m wondering what exactly is considered “return for schooling”… does taking language classes at Shida or something count? Or does it have to be enrolled in an official program?

Also, how would they know if you are in school or not so that they don’t count those days into the period of residence.

Enforcement Regulations for Draft Exemption, Restriction, Deferred Call & Draft
articles 11~18

Act of Military Service System
article 35
The Conscription Age Male who should be inducted to serve Active Service or Military Training of Standing Soldier Service with any of the following situations can be deferred:

1. Students who are studying in senior high schools or above, or participating in the non-school-based experimental education of equivalent level to senior high school.
1 Like

What does “non school-based experimental education” mean?

kind of high school
Enforcement Act for Non-school-based Experimental Education at Senior High School Level or Below