eReaders in Taiwan

Boox is now available at Syntrend.

All e-readers are now located on the 3rd floor.

1 Like

Kindle, can only purchase books from Amazon.

Boox, can purchase books from anywhere including Amazon. Android based so can also use like tablet and add apps, keyboards, etc.

1 Like

Never paid for a book… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Well that’s a different situation altogether.

A popular book site has been shut down in the last few days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en/article/7k8qby/feds-seize-one-of-the-largest-sites-for-pirated-books-and-articles-z-library

1 Like

Just a drop in the bucket, as they say.

Nova Hsinchu has a good ereader selection but no Kindle.

NOVA

1 Like

Recommendations for a high quality light 6-7inch E-Reader? I guess I can make do with 16GB, 32GB or more would be better. I plan to only use ePub and do not need any online stores or libraries.

Moon Reader would be great, but I am ok if the built-in reader is decent. Dropbox or wireless transfer would be nice, but I can accept USB.

Kobo Clara if you plan to add your own non-drm protected ePub or other books. Linux.

Onyx Boox Poke if want access to multiple ebook stores because it is Android based so can add all the apps.

8 GB Clara holds 6-8,000 epubs. Don’t need huge memory unless using PDFs or other

2 Likes

Sorry my brain was not working. I thought that would only fit 6-8. Of course you are right.

So is that the Kobo Clara 2E ? I see that on Shopee.

Clara 2E is the latest and best Kobo version in that size category with 16gb I think. I have its predecessor Clara HD which is outstanding even now but not waterproof.

2 Likes

It arrived!

4 Likes

Hope you have a good case with strong stiff cover over the screen if you’re carrying it around at all.

1 Like

I will probably keep it home most of the time, but I have not looked into that yet. How come, does it damage or scratch easily?

No the screen does not damage or scratch easily.

But if you’re throwing it into a bag that could be packed full and then thrown around and bags n things thrown on top of it then it could be squished.

I carry hiking biking walking beach pockets waistband airplane everything couple years already still good as new.

1 Like
1 Like

Kobo now has unlimited reading plan similar to Kindle.

Don’t know if it works in Taiwan but probably works if using a credit card from one of the supported countries like US or UK.

3 Likes

Phone size ereaders.

Xiaomi Inkpalm still can’t find in Taiwan stores, only online from China ~NT$4500

Boox Palma is coming out but overkill capability and crazy price ~NT$9000.

The Boox Palma looks great if it functions as a phone as well. Thats perfect. As long as i can still do Maps and Spotify and answer emails.

I have the kindle oasis 10th gen and it is hands down the best e-reader. I used it mainly for epubs and it works perfectly. There are shitloads of leds to make the background light consistent. You don’t see any bleed. I tried all the e-readers in that big mall next to Guanghua and they are all not as good in quality. They all have shadows left from the previous pages. Although they have android and Google play and some of them also have colour eink they all seem to be more expensive and not as fast. For books I recommend “title author ePub vk” in a Google search. This Russian Facebook ripoff is the go to for epubs and audiobooks. No sign up required, direct download

3 Likes

For people who read Chinese get an android eReader. Then you can read for free using the HyRead app and Taipei library card, some people collect library cards around Taiwan, but the Taipei have lots already.

2 Likes