ETA-ROC - Anyone Going?

I went to the RTA. It was nice. But I went to a meeting at 2:15 where the speaker didn’t show up. The woman next to me said this is the third time it happened at this conference. If you are going to agree to give a speech at the conference, you should go.
Also the program book they gave me didn’t give me a very clear idea on what each workshop would really be about.

Well, nasty comments aside. I have read Krashen and Ellis and I have seen them. Reading them is better. I saw Ironlady at ETA and that is th eonly reason I went. The workshop took an hour and the coffee afterwards another. Time very well spent.

Did anyone actually go?

There was hardly any fuss this year about it…? I only remembered about it two weeks AFTER it was over!

Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Did anyone actually go?

There was hardly any fuss this year about it…? I only remembered about it two weeks AFTER it was over!

Kenneth[/quote]
Part of the problem with Taiwan is that English speaking events are not properly promoted :2cents: .

Whole Lotta Lotta said:

I agree! That’s why I set up this list:

ELT Conferences 2012

Well, frankly – and I hope someone from ETA reads this – when you have someone coming in from overseas to present, and you charge her for the conference, when she is not going to ATTEND any of the conference other than to give the presentation – that is poor.

It’s not that it’s that much money. It’s the principle of the thing. If I were of a more adventuresome ilk, I would use this year’s (or last year’s) name tag to walk in next year (not that I wore the nametag from this year anyway. Anyone with a foreign face could have walked in and gone anywhere.)

[quote=“ironlady”]Well, frankly – and I hope someone from ETA reads this – when you have someone coming in from overseas to present, and you charge her for the conference, when she is not going to ATTEND any of the conference other than to give the presentation – that is poor.

It’s not that it’s that much money. It’s the principle of the thing. If I were of a more adventuresome ilk, I would use this year’s (or last year’s) name tag to walk in next year (not that I wore the nametag from this year anyway. Anyone with a foreign face could have walked in and gone anywhere.)[/quote]
I know a few people who did just that.

Perpetuating the stereotype that all white people look alike?.. :whistle:

Nope.
Proving that even at an English speaking and teaching conference, the majority of Taiwanese people are afraid of approaching foreigners and speaking English to them.
Actually I have heard that there are so many people that it is impossible to control who has paid and who hasn’t.

[quote=“ironlady”]Well, frankly – and I hope someone from ETA reads this – when you have someone coming in from overseas to present, and you charge her for the conference, when she is not going to ATTEND any of the conference other than to give the presentation – that is poor.

It’s not that it’s that much money. It’s the principle of the thing. If I were of a more adventuresome ilk, I would use this year’s (or last year’s) name tag to walk in next year (not that I wore the nametag from this year anyway. Anyone with a foreign face could have walked in and gone anywhere.)[/quote]

I walked into one room and was asked if I was the presenter.

*** UPDATE ***
Is anyone here planning to attend the ETA-ROC this year? I attended last year, and saw some good presentations. I will definitely be there. How about you?