šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡ŗ šŸ›‚ Europe | American making EU/Schengen Runs

Rule is 90 days per 180 day period.

Visa runs do not work in the EU.

Note this period is for ALL of Schengen, so going between Schengen countries do not work. You have to leave at the end of 90 days and stay in that other country for 90 more days before you can come back. There are not many such countries around the EU thatā€™s good for this except for various African countries, possibly the UK (I have no idea the rule for the UK, but upon Brexit UK citizens lost their privileged status)

1 Like

So youā€™re saying country X hires the remote web designer under this scenario?

Where is the company that hires the remote worker located?

This is true. Know a Taiwan guy has Polish boyfriend in EU, his 90 days was running out and no way out, so back to Taiwan for him, maybe they can marry somewhere in EU to bypass it or marry in Taiwan.

Many countries, rightly or wrongly, seem to want ā€œdigital nomadsā€ including Taiwan. Hence the soon to be rollout of the ā€œdigital nomad visaā€ that makes no sense but the govt is clamoring to unleash.

Within a year, about half of the countries in the world will offer digital nomad visas. Theyā€™re probably not all the kind of countries you think they are. But I donā€™t know.

The idea is that there is no quota and digital nomads are a net positive. Iā€™m not sure this is an accurate assessment but thatā€™s the purpose.

They are starting to, yes. Usually countries that have not yet reached their quota, and need more tax-paying foreigners.

Every country in the world absolutely has immigration quotas. Unless, of course, they are so far away from reaching their population goal because nobody wants to move there that they donā€™t even need to set a quota.

Digital nomads seem to be at the bottom of the immigration barrel (meaning, least priority), invited only when a country canā€™t satisfy their quota with other types of workers.

In my example, the business is located in Country X.

How is he a digital nomad if he works and lived in the same country?

I donā€™t think the EU will revoke your ETIAS or visa free unless you violated the 90 day in a 180 day period rule.

I did show up at Schipol airport claiming to want to study at a language school in Germany, and he asked if I understand how long I can stay, I said yes, and he stamped me through.

So it does appear that you can indeed to visa runs in the EU but again, you must respect the 80 day in a 180 day rule, and it looks like you might be able to do this as many time as you like as long as you respect that rule.

1 Like

Ok, letā€™s say he intended to work remotely for a company in another country then. Why would Country X grant him the visa, instead of the dentist, if no company in the country will benefit from his labor?

The only benefit Country X gets out of the digital nomad guy is his tax dollars and perhaps his local spendings, both of which could be obtained from the dentist, if they gave the visa to the dentist instead.

I wonder thoughā€¦ I have multiple passportsā€¦ Could I theoretically do visa runs using different passports?

Itā€™s probably not legal and I suppose you can try especially if the names on each passport is different. It would take an investigator to cross reference all the various passports and find that they all belong to the same person. Not something border agents can do. Unless the computers they use can automatically facial recognize the passport photos and pop out alerts for matchesā€¦ that seems something really computationally intensive to do at scale.

But Iā€™d exit and enter at different airports.

And besides would an investigator really care? Itā€™s not like doing visa runs is an earth shattering crime, unless it led to problems.