Europe pension taxable in Taiwan?

I will start having pension which is taxed in my home country in Europe. But should I pay tax also to Taiwan? Assume that I need to declare my foreign pension as income in Taiwan? Any recent experience :thinking:

Check if Ur country has a DTA with Taiwan, you might pay only taxes if any tax difference arises between Ur country and TW (i.e. if TW tax rate is higher than Ur home country, u will need to pay that difference to tw)

I think the pension should count as overseas income which means that the first 6.7 (?) million NT$ per year are tax free. You need to declare it in the basic income category if it’s more than 1 million NT$ per year.

Also, if your home country has a double-taxation treaty with Taiwan, this could affect taxation both in your home country and in Taiwan.

It might be worth to ask a tax professional.

4 Likes

My home country has no tax treaty with Taiwan, I believe that this is because of Taiwan status; still many countries have not fully recognized Taiwan as independent state. I think that the 6.7 million rule will apply, has anybody experience if this?

That doesn’t stop countries from having a tax treaty with the authorities governing the region of Taiwan :wink:

Right now, the following European countries have tax treaties with Taiwan:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, North Macedonia, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Sweden, the U.K., Switzerland.

See this site for more information:

Basically, all your foreign-sourced income (pensions, capital gains, dividends, … but not employment income as that one counts as Taiwan-sourced if the work was performed in Taiwan), will be summed up together and if it’s more than 6.7 million NT$, you have to pay a flat tax of 20% on the surplus.

2 Likes

then all DTAs with HK, Macao and/or other non-sovereign jurisdictions would be void according to your thinking. TW has quite some DTAs, check the list @qwert_zuiop provided, below the official list from the MOF:
https://www.mof.gov.tw/Eng/singlehtml/191?cntId=63930

1 Like