🇪🇺 Europe | Why Europeans Think Asia is Poor and Backwards

Of course, the impression of backwardness doesn’t come from Europeans telling me directly (that’d be kinda rude). It’s what I gather from this and other forums.

The only Asian country Europeans tell me they visit widely and consistently is Thailand.

They have no interest in the Far East, as far as I can discern.

They like to talk about/bash the United States, often to my face. Which is fine with me, I like talking about the United States. Americans generally don’t give a fig if you think we “eat huge portions,” or you get your impressions of us from Homer Simpson.

Was this moved here from another thread? I feel like I’m missing context or something.

2 Likes

Nope.

1 Like

So your whole point is that Europeans think Asia is backwards because they have only been to Thailand? I would argue Thailand is one of the least-backwards places in Asia in some ways. I don’t understand what you’re getting at. (I’m a US American, long-time Taiwan resident, and frequent SEA visitor, if that matters.)

1 Like

Ha, seems that way, a very random outburst, without much context.

4 Likes

I think it would be wise to first define Asia. You mean, all it?

Yes

Yes

Uh oh that’s not good.

I think we need to define what you mean by “backwardness”. I consider some of the things I saw in Europe pretty backwards, as well as things in Canada and the United States.

5 Likes

and too many for not necessarily ethical or cultural reasons…

I reckon more visit JP tbh.

2 Likes

Yeah, seems a bit silly. I don’t imagine Europeans think Japan or Korea ar backwards, just far and not tropical.

What are they going to come to Taiwan for, the food? The beaches? The nightlife?

Cambodia probably gets a lot because of Angkor Wat, despite being a “backwards” country

Chinese cities are not backwards, but Europeans could have plenty of reasons to not want to go even though there is a lot to see

Thailand offers a lot. The tourism industry is well developed and that makes it easy. Part of the reason it is cheaper and easier to go there is because so many people go. Part of the reason for that is sleazy, but also harks back to Vietnam War R&R. Today Thailand has a tourism authority the had been promoting the country for years. It is also a major MICE destination. It’s “famous” and gad a reputation of being a beautiful fun and exotic place. Thai people are fun, vibrant, feisty.

If they’re only going to travel to one country in Asia in their life, Thailand is kind of a obvious and easy good choice.

Must be some large numbers going to Vietnam, China, and India though. But Asia is far for them, and most places just don’t have a lot going on for people that have to choose 1 destination.

Why not go somewhere fun with great food and exotic culture and friendly locals and vibrant nightlife and beautiful nature? Why would someone chose Afghanistan, or Bangladesh, or Mongolia? Actually those countries aren’t well developed.

I don’t imagine Europeans think Taiwan is backwards, there just isn’t much reason for them to come here. The ones who do probably don’t go home and gush about the food, even if they do make youtube videos about it…

1 Like

Europeans think everywhere else is poor and backwards.

3 Likes

As much as Europeans make fun of Americans for being America centric and don’t have passports. Europeans are pretty Eurocentric in my experience. They don’t know too much outside of Europe besides the well travelled and educated population that are familiar with other countries.

I’ve had several experiences of Italians thinking I came from some rice paddy farm or something like that.

2 Likes

I also think it’s the fault of the media.

Have you guys ever watched news on your home country or somewhere you’re familiar with. I watch the news about the US or Taiwan in Europe and I’m like that’s not really how it is.

3 Likes

Saw this comment on a Taiwan-related Facebook group earlier today asking for recommendations as to beach locations with active nightlife, good restaurants and bars, and swimming:

ItsNotThailand

:sideeye: :sideeye: :sideeye:

It reminded me of those “Fast. Cheap. Good. Pick two.” kind of things. Except in this case you’re only allowed to pick one (at most), it definitely ain’t the food, and swimming is probably forbidden. :whistle:

3 Likes

In my experience, they’ve been good about treating me like I’m American. This Dutch woman once said, I’m “Americanized, like a cowboy.”

Why would Europeans need to come here to know if any country is backwards and poor or advanced and rich? Can they not read?

Many of them have this hilarious delusion that their healthcare makes them better than America, lmao.

It would be funny if it wasn’t so fucking sad and pathetic.

1 Like

Europe is a great tragedy. There’s still tremendous potential with a highly educated population. But they have voted for policies and embraced a way of life that’s just not competitive.

1 Like

When people I know are told “Far East” they think Japan or Korea, and they think either Tokyo is a futuristic Cyberpunk-esque technical magical city, or Seoul is where everyone is a 16 year old pop star.

Do you have any evidence to back up your blanket claim on what Europeans think, or is this just one of those inspirations generated whilst scrolling on the shitter?*

*No disrespect by this either, I have a lot of them. But most, I flush :smiley:

7 Likes