🇪🇺 Europe | Winter in the Baltics and Finland

Tons of empty tankers stretching north and south of harbor.
So easy for one to meander toward harbor entrance and sink for reasons to be known later.

1 Like

ok, so like a normal day with ships offshore! Bikini’s too I guess (friend sent photos from the Eastern beaches trying to surf, saw many Bikinis ha)

2 Likes

A few bikinis by Cijin beach. Some even there for surfing.

1 Like

:eggplant:

1 Like

So, your at Kiekkobussi Areena - Lempäälän Jäähalli?? Play or watch a game or something else interesting?

Nope, just an immature meme I saw. Kind of fascinating how the river(?) meanders in such a fashion, geologically speaking.

Finland is pretty high on my temporarily-held visit list, still. I’ve been recommended it so many times by people that have lived there that I would fit into the culture that i’m curious if it indeed would be the case.

1 Like

Enjoy the warm air, its -5 or lower now here ! (still the love for Ukraine and hate for the supreme leaders)

2 Likes

Flew into Riga, Latvia (been there before via car from Vilnius), got riped off by bandit cab paying a lot more than I should have. Its the only Baltic Airport with people (a lot)outside the international exit asking you bring you somewhere. Talinn is good and has trams (local free, non local 1,5 euro), Vilnius has cheap nice bus, one Euro cash or less with local IC Card, my Riga bandit cab paid 35 euro all city centres. At the KHH bullet train terminal there was someone asking if I needed a ride which is not normal but there has been a shortage of cabs there and at times at KHH airport.

Vilnius is good with red bus,

KHH Airport ???

If you happen to visit Prague, it is also known for its “Bandit” Taxi Drivers.

1 Like

Not sure why you bring up KHH while talking about Baltic states and then go to the bullet train station (Zuoying?), which is not exactly at the KHH airport.

You get approached by cab drivers at Zuoying, but what does that have to do with Latvia?

I flew from the Baltics via Finland to Taiwan, and out of KHH (Kaoshuing) airport to the EU, so all within six days and one trips. So maybe did not detail write it well. I tried to say at the Bullet train station the bandit cab drivers are the same as in Riga airport.

really love Finland and Baltics for the nice seafood dishes, markets too lots of fish and seafood choices and cheap(er) fish eggs that are harder and expensive in Taiwan.

2 Likes

oohh looks good

1 Like

Love the sauna, easy chit chat, but like going Japanese public hot spring.

It seemed be a mild winter, very light snow the times I went last few months.

Shop is gone! Estonia is becoming higher cost place, somewhat prefer Vilnius and Riga

Riga on cold fall night

I’m reading about it now and it is a fascinating place. Their WW2 history in particular, but linguistically as well.

1 Like

Yeah, something to do with a group of nomads who split north/south, south settling in Hungary or something?

1 Like

Finnish is a member of the Finnic group of the Uralic family of languages; as such, it is one of the few European languages that is not Indo-European. The Finnic group also includes Estonian and a few minority languages spoken around the Baltic Sea and in Russia’s Republic of Karelia.

Finnish demonstrates an affiliation with other Uralic languages (such as Hungarian) in several respects including:

Several theories exist as to the geographic origin of Finnish and the other Uralic languages. The most widely held view is that they originated as a Proto-Uralic language somewhere in the boreal forest belt around the Ural Mountains region and/or the bend of the middle Volga. The strong case for Proto-Uralic is supported by common vocabulary with regularities in sound correspondences, as well as by the fact that the Uralic languages have many similarities in structure and grammar.[6]

Apparently it is thought that Finnish had made the Finns quite nationalistic, like enough to not only hold off the Russians in WW2 but to figure out how to deal with them as little guy, big guy neighbors.

It’s almost time for a Finland Thread in IP, given their recent shift away from Russia and into NATO. It must be quite a big deal for them.

More on Finland later, here the old Jewish area in Vilnius.

Was in the area last month, with new Taiwanese (Estonia based) staff, went to old Jewish cafe I like, mean time my co worker walking and reading history on the streets

a bit north about 300m, another street