Ever felt like you should help someone in the gym

I never wanted to be “that guy”… the one who tells others that they are doing something wrong and they should do it this way.
But my gosh have I seen some horrible form when it comes to lifting weights at the gym.

I go to the gym by CKS memorial, and there are allot of people who DO know what they are doing and have great form. But there is an unequal amount of noobs in the gym who have no clue. I wish the staff was more effective in seeing this, but I guess it will take someone dropping in pain before anything happens.

I have seen such horrible form and people lifting obviously too much weight in contorted directions that the human body’s shoulders and arms are just not designed to bend. Or the complete opposite… a guy on the bench who could easily bench 100lbs at a minimum, but instead is benching 20lbs.

That is even more annoying.

What is it? fear?

My mandarin is not up to the level to speak fluently about exercise… which irritates myself - watching people just wreck their bodies with bad form - especially the much younger guys. The older guys ( older than me…) allot of them just seem to be in a race to lift more weight than me regardless of proper form.

I put on my headphones and try and ignore it all. I kinda gave up.

Would it be disrespectful to offer help on how to do a certain lift properly?

I think you should help. Someone should have helped my fiancee in jkt before she ended up straining her back. And now shes cant go to the gym for a week (my recommendation).

No way should you offer to “help” someone else at the gym unless you work there. That’s what the trainers or “trainers” are there for. I say that because you get what you pay for, which is next to nothing, at the public gyms.

Just don’t do it. You aren’t legally allowed to coach them as a non-employee.

Trainers here, though, will NOT correct someone’s form unless that person is in a private session at the time. They’re actually prevented from intervening by most gym owners.

At our gym, I’ve done the opposite and instructed our trainers to correct grossly bad form in anyone. We use it as a teaching moment that shows the value of our private sessions but it also helps all our clients get good results, and that’s why we’re here anyway.

Seriously, you guys shouldn’t underestimate the environment you work out in. These public gyms are pathetic and attract the least motivated, least experienced, least knowledgeable people. Some environments like ours will really push you. Most of our clients are quite knowledgeable and it’s much more motivating working out around people that will push you.

I see no reason to worry about what others are doing or to try to tell them that they should lift more, less or another way. Does it matter if you feel that people should be lifting 5x more than they are even though you don’t understand their reasons, background or physical history before offering up such device?

If they are a danger to themselves, others or the equipment, it’s the people who operate the gym who should step in. If people ask for help, which is quite common here, that’s another story though unsolicited advice is never welcome, in this situation or in others.

Do you walk up to smokers in the street and tell them to quit?

Always see people doing 1/4 ROM, awful form… looking like they’re going to snap their sh-t up. I never offer help though. It’s not my business, I’m not insured and I don’t want to spend 20 minutes mentoring someone how to do an ATG squat when it’s got nothing to do with me. If they cared, they’d ask.

On the other hand, that guy benching 20kgs might be coming off the back of an injury or surgery… Don’t worry what other people are doing, focus on your own goals.

it’s difficult. i’m in a simular position to the OP Mando wise. You see people doing crazy stuff all the time. I think it is OK to help. I helped a couple of girls the other day. No prizes for guessing my motivation. But it was also because they apparently had no idea how to use the machine. I saw a group of guys doing waste-of-time situps (bad form) or a guy not getting the full range of movement out of the lat-pulldown. The first group I didn’t help because they were all helping each other and someone might lose face. The second guy I just observed because I was interested to see his form. He was into it so no way would I interrupt. I figure I will help someone if (a) I’m quite sure of what I’m talking about (b) they look like they are going to be receptive, or, © they are in real danger [i.e. they are nubile young ladies]

But mandarin does make it more difficult.

I read somewhere that all those idiots who have no idea what they are doing (and probably lack the motivation to find out) are the people who sign-up and never come back - thereby keeping prices down for the serious folk. So there is always that.

We all help our friends, though, even then, one has to be careful not to come off like a know-it-all. We just exchange ideas.

In general, I have tried to change my whole attitude. I used to just ‘go in’ and ‘get it done’ but now I try to be much more relaxed and positive. Being defensive and getting pissed-off by the assholes & idiots turns going to the gym into a really negative thing. I really don’t need that. I have (thanks to my trainer’s guidance) actually turned that around.

So, in short, I’m ready to help; generally I try to be outgoing and positive; but I am careful not to get in the way and cause further damage.

You might make them feel they’re losing face even if you’re just trying to help. The best thing you can do is lead by example. If you’re in good shape they’ll usually take a peek at what your doing and how you’re doing it. If you’re not in good shape then maybe someone should be giving you advice instead. Another way to go is be open and friendly with everyone regardless of their fitness level. After establishing a friendly rapport, if you give some pointers to them in a friendly and non-condescending manner then it’s more likely to be well received

I say, let them lift their own weights. why should you chip in?

I might do this in the west, I do not (mostly) do this in Asia where an offer of help can be seen as embarassing for them. I actually get aggressive responses (and the occasional thank yous), and I only do so where the guy/girl is REALLY doing something dangerous.

These are the same folks who do not (and do not even consider/like/used to) switching in and out ie sharing a piece of equipment between sets especially when that is the only equipment there AND most of these guys tend to hog it and rest for 5-10 minutes!!! between sets, chatting on the phone, etc. mostly.

Why?

I don’t know, sometimes it’s just nice to help someone in need… :angel:

suddenly feeling so charitable

What is the reasoning behind putting your feet on the bench while bench pressing? I swear 95% of the people at my gym who bench press keep their feet on the bench. And none of them go over 60 kg. They do 10 sets of 12-15 reps. Surprisingly some of them are pretty big but none have low body fat. They look more like power lifters than bodybuilders, which is not what I would expect with those rep ranges.

I’ve also heard the gym trainer say that if you can’t do 12-18 reps, the weight is too heavy, and you need to lower it until you can do 12-18 reps. :loco:

Meanwhile I’m off to the side doing my 5-10 reps per set, actually gaining strength every week, instead of being stuck in permanent stasis at 50-60 kg. Unfortunately I’m still skinny, though I have gained weight, so they’re probably looking at me like I’m crazy.

[quote=“shengou”]What is the reasoning behind putting your feet on the bench while bench pressing? I swear 95% of the people at my gym who bench press keep their feet on the bench. And none of them go over 60 kg. They do 10 sets of 12-15 reps. Surprisingly some of them are pretty big but none have low body fat. They look more like power lifters than bodybuilders, which is not what I would expect with those rep ranges.

I’ve also heard the gym trainer say that if you can’t do 12-18 reps, the weight is too heavy, and you need to lower it until you can do 12-18 reps. :loco:

Meanwhile I’m off to the side doing my 5-10 reps per set, actually gaining strength every week, instead of being stuck in permanent stasis at 50-60 kg. Unfortunately I’m still skinny, though I have gained weight, so they’re probably looking at me like I’m crazy.[/quote]

They’re doing a bodybuilding type bench press:

I get why they’re doing it but I don’t teach it this way. You will be very unstable with your feet on the bench and must squeeze your core and chest more than most people know how to do. The result is often a half-ass, not locked down bench press that is unstable. You also can’t use any appreciable weight like that. But if you’re advanced, this is doable (hint: most people aren’t).

Instead, I’d teach beginners to put the feet flat on the floor and press their hips into the bench. You’ll find this causes an intense contraction of the core and you maintain that contraction while you bench. This allows you to use a heavier weight while getting that bodybuilder activation in a safer manner than feet-on-the-bench. Try it out and see if that helps.

I feel the same way as the OP, but I agree it’s not our place to interfere (unless the boob size warrants it, of course :wink:).

One of the things I don’t miss about Taiwan is watching the girls on ellipticals watch their soaps at 0 resistance, but with all the right fashion accessories … and NOT be able to do anything about it :slight_smile:
But then I would just remind myself not to be judgemental. They’re not hurting anyone, after all :slight_smile:

yep - feet on the bench is not what those guys are supposed to be doing.
I follow this guy and now know that many of those trainers (esp the ones I see in my local World Gym) can teach me anything.
Compare and contrast:

Ok, I’m going to comment as a person who’s on the receiving end…

A person comes over and tells me that I’m doing stuff wrong, I’d assess whether this person is full of shit or not.

If they’re not (and I agree): I’d be grateful and thank them, then look up on Youtube or discuss this method with my other friends to see if it’s true or not and test it out myself.

But if they’re obviously full of shit and I can smell it miles away: I’d tell them that they don’t know shit and ask them politely to feck off.

But seriously, I think you can tell them if you want. Cos your knowledge in working out might not be right anyway, so why worry so much.

thanks for your opinion
I think the consensus is correct: desist.

These are just some of the examples of what I have witnessed at the gym in Taipei.

This is the top one really… after searching around some more: youtube.com/watch?v=vIS4FYhNxEY

Here are the rest:

youtube.com/watch?v=dKahgSwLvpM

youtube.com/watch?v=rtEyYvbdgn8

youtube.com/watch?v=er5GBIg2s8k

youtube.com/watch?v=hKMqzduyQfM

youtube.com/watch?v=7KXvBJ3HO6w

youtube.com/watch?v=6JfQUxkhoMQ

youtube.com/watch?v=GIqSqfevniw

youtube.com/watch?v=q6s9XCaCcBc&NR=1

youtube.com/watch?v=JPTDKv7cjv8

youtube.com/watch?v=nlZtN9DX6Zk

I used to see some doozies at the gym in Taiwan too. And a LOT of men went without shirts and were in bare feet.

The best was when my husband was doing something with his arms (can’t remember what) and a Taiwanese man approached him and told him that he should arch his back and swing the weights instead of lifting them in a controlled way.

‘How To Throw Your Back Out’ 101!