Everyday Mysteries?

Is it dangerous to stand too close to the microwave? (I don’t take chances and stand back a couple of paces.)

Do cell phones cause brain damage?

Which is more harmful: a soda packed full of sugar or one full of aspertaine or nutrasweet or whatever the alternative is?

Which is more damaging to the environment: paper bags which result in deforestation or plastic bags made from petroleum?

Why are cats afraid of water?

Do blind people dream? In color?

Would the bus driver know if I paid with foreign money or just NT$13?

Why do cockroaches alway die on their backs?

[quote]Why are cats afraid of water?[/quote]Because it’s wet, cold and messes up your fur.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Why do cockroaches alway die on their backs?[/quote]Because if they fall over they can’t right themselves on a smooth floor and they starve.

They get an erection which in turn flips them over.

Wrong, it’s cuz they’re pussies.
:roflmao:

At some people apparently yes. Especially when they yell into their phone like there’s no tomorrow.

Ok, here’s another.

Outside my office window they’re building a 12-story steel-frame building using a giant crane that is standing in the middle of the building (they build the floors around it), poking through the top floor and extending another 12 stories up into the sky. No walls, floors or ceilings are installed yet. It’s just a bunch of steel beams and the crane is being used to lift them up into place.

How the hell do they get that massive crane out of there when they’re done? It’ll be totally walled in by steel beams. Obviously, they must dismantle it somehow so they can load it onto trucks and drive it away. But how does one gently dismantle a massive 12 story tower of crane, with a huge counterweight, that projects higher than anything around it?

:ponder:

Roaches flip over as they’re dying because their back legs spasm. Fish flip over because they have an air bladder in the lower half of their bodies. Maybe they get a bigger crane to lift the first crane out of the building :slight_smile: .

The answer to your crane question is in children’s literature. They simply incorporate the crane into the building structure, just like how Mike Mulligan’s steam shovel became the furnace for the city hall. They attach some ducts and ta-dah… you’ve got an air conditioner or an elevator or something.

The machines that built the channel tunnel. Some were dismantled, some are still down there, driven into the rock and covered up.

Why did I buy that hideous Jansport backpack?

One time I had just come back from a trip to the US and neglected to empty all the
American coins from my pocket. I inadvertently dropped a couple of pennies into the coin box along with the NTs. The bus driver actually noticed and asked, “What’s that?” And I had to fish out some 1 NT coins to make up the difference. :blush:

Why does that toilet paper have puppy dogs printed on it?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Is it dangerous to stand too close to the microwave? (I don’t take chances and stand back a couple of paces.)

Do cell phones cause brain damage?

Which is more harmful: a soda packed full of sugar or one full of aspertaine or nutrasweet or whatever the alternative is?

Which is more damaging to the environment: paper bags which result in deforestation or plastic bags made from petroleum?

Why are cats afraid of water?

Do blind people dream? In color?

Would the bus driver know if I paid with foreign money or just NT$13?

Why do cockroaches alway die on their backs?[/quote]

I’m still trying to figure out why weebles wobble,but the won’t fall down.

Depends on what kind of bag and what kind of plastic …

Because my 3 year old girl won’t let us buy any other brand.