Everyone Draw Mohammed Day

[quote=“Chewycorns”]To me, while not finding the cartoons all that funny, it is a matter of free speech and the broader question of permitting society to question religion without the threat of sanctions or intimidation. As was demonstrated with the fatwa against Salman Rushdie, many states in the world do not allow such freedom or tolerance. To me, that is evident in societies that have not undergone a renaissance or have modernized.

What I find more objectionable is actually how Mohammed lived his life. Life of violence combined with marrying underage girls in the single digits. :thumbsdown: And not a lot has changed when it comes to the rights of women in most societies ruled by Islamic law.[/quote]
It’s a rare instance that I’m in full agreement with Chewy. This is one of those rare instances.

Ask any Roman historian and they’ll confirm the best present day example of what wine tasted like in Rome during the time of Christ is sangria. So perhaps that miracle wasn’t all that spectacular :laughing: :laughing: Walking on water–that’s cool shit.

[quote=“igorveni”][quote=“lbksig”][quote=“igorveni”]I am utterly amazed at the fact that so many people are completely unaware of the principal of respecting other people. I am actually flabbergasted by that.
With all the hatred in our world today, your little mocking and nagging doesn’t help peace. But hey, it’s your freedom of speech right? So, go ahead, mock others and draw cartoons if it makes you more human. Good for you all.[/quote]

Yes because you know, drawing a satirical, mocking cartoon is morally equivalent to death threats and physical violence. Someone teases you and you have the right to physically assault them, firebomb their house and try to murder them with an axe. They broke a rule you live by, but they don’t, so its your god given right to intimidate them into shutting up! That’s the kind of respect we need.[/quote]
I won’t even bother to answer that because it shows how completely ignorant this post is.[/quote]

I don’t think it is ignorant at all, when people issue Fatwas and think it is okay to kill someone because they drew a caricature of someone who allegedly lived a long time ago then you have problems.

This day wasn’t created because a bunch of agnostics wanted to stick it to Islam, it started because satirists lives were threatened because of the satire they were producing.

off color or poorly thought out jokes should not mean someone has to die.

Free speech, is all very well. But as the excuse of art for art’s sake is a motto of the inept, free speech solely for the sake of free speech is a vapid and vacuous endeavor.

[quote=“hardball”][quote=“igorveni”]I am utterly amazed at the fact that so many people are completely unaware of the principal of respecting other people. I am actually flabbergasted by that.
With all the hatred in our world today, your little mocking and nagging doesn’t help peace. But hey, it’s your freedom of speech right? So, go ahead, mock others and draw cartoons if it makes you more human. Good for you all.[/quote]

If one knows they don’t like, why do it? That’s not free speech. It’s being a dickhead.

[/quote]

Its both, and the reaction of death threats and attempted murder of the cartoonists, is just as offensive to those that believe in the right of free speech as a match stick man depicting Mohammad is to Muslims.

[quote=“Voltaire”]
“I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.” -[/quote]

In this case the two beliefs are in conflict. But as long as the Islamic world thinks depictions of Mohammad as a cartoon justifies violence and death threats, there is intolerance and disrespect of those who believe with all they hold dear, people should have the freedom of speech.

Respect goes both ways, where is Islams respect for a belief system where people are free to say as they please? Where is their tolerance?

Case in point? :laughing:

[quote=“Mick”]
Respect goes both ways, where is Islams respect for a belief system where people are free to say as they please? Where is their tolerance?[/quote]
Er…in every neighborhood close to a mosque that hasn’t been beset by violence?

Silent majority and all that…

[quote=“hardball”][quote=“Mick”]
Respect goes both ways, where is Islams respect for a belief system where people are free to say as they please? Where is their tolerance?[/quote]

Silent majority and all that…[/quote]
:bravo:

[quote=“hardball”][quote=“Mick”]

People are free to follow whatever religion or system of beliefs they please. But they must accept, not everyone will share the same values, they have perhaps a different religion or set of beliefs, and when these two come into conflict, attacking or killing those that make fun of your way of life, is not an appropriate response.

This is what I think is behind “everyone draw Mohammed day”, it may be for many just a chance to poke fun. But when they see a tv show axed out of sensitivities, a film director killed because he made a movie on the treatment of women in Islam, writers having a fatwa placed on them. They see it as taking away a right which is fundamental in their belief system. The freedom of speech.

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“hardball”][quote=“Mick”]

People are free to follow whatever religion or system of beliefs they please. But they must accept, not everyone will share the same values, they have perhaps a different religion or set of beliefs, and when these two come into conflict, attacking or killing those that make fun of your way of life, is not an appropriate response.

This is what I think is behind “everyone draw Mohammed day”, it may be for many just a chance to poke fun. But when they see a tv show axed out of sensitivities, a film director killed because he made a movie on the treatment of women in Islam, writers having a fatwa placed on them. They see it as taking away a right which is fundamental in their belief system. The freedom of speech.[/quote]

Yeah…Hollywood and worldwide cinema has REALLY slowed down churning out stupidity, filth and offensive movies and TV shows that negatively depict Muslims, Arabs, blacks, Jews, Asians, Latinos, Mexicans… Canadians (as being funny)…among others…

Most people who draw will draw a RIGHT HERE FUCKERS!! cartoon, and some egghead will justify it while trying real hard not to appear closed minded and insipid…

Here’s a nice example of what they’re posting:

facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho … 1147866960

hahaha…that’s so not funny… :s :thumbsdown:

and this:
facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho … 8913265704

disgusting…

How do people know what he looks like? I’m kind of thinking like a kind of shortarsed , swarthier version of Jaboney.

[quote=“hardball”]

Yeah…Hollywood and worldwide cinema has REALLY slowed down churning out stupidity, filth and offensive movies and TV shows that negatively depict Muslims, Arabs, blacks, Jews, Asians, Latinos, Mexicans… Canadians (as being funny)…among others…

Most people who draw will draw a RIGHT HERE FUCKERS!! cartoon, and some egghead will justify it while trying real hard not to appear closed minded and insipid…[/quote]

Are you condoning threats of violence and killing of people because they draw a cartoon of Mohammad?

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“hardball”]

Most people who draw will draw a RIGHT HERE FUCKERS!! cartoon, and some egghead will justify it while trying real hard not to appear closed minded and insipid…[/quote]

Are you condoning threats of violence and killing of people because they draw a cartoon of Mohammad?[/quote]

You GOT me! :laughing:

Plus, most of those pics are of Bin Laden, not Mohammed. Or does “prophet” now mean simply “muslim fanatic” to the Facebook halfwits?

Weird. Everyone thinks I’m from the Middle East, even Saudis and Lebanese on the streets of Montreal, and Moroccans in the suq.

May have to have a talk with Mom about the milkman.

Maybe it’s genetic maladaption. Everyone used to think Dad was native.
Native then, or Arab now: neither’s all that popular.

[quote=“hardball”]
You GOT me! :laughing:[/quote]

:slight_smile: I’m glad we can discuss and still be civil. I haven’t looked at the pictures on Facebook, I can just imagine some of the crap they are posting.

But consider this, lets say my religion is being a vegetarian. Does that mean I would be justified in attacking someone eating a Whopper with cheese? It’s in bad taste, and offensive to MY religion.

Mick, that’s a silly analogy because you’ve got no emotional stake in the matter. For you, it’s an intellectual exercise. If you really want to have a go at it, think of something that really matters to you. Think of something that’s taboo. Then hand someone a rusty pin and invite them to have a go.

[quote=“Mick”]
But consider this, lets say my religion is being a vegetarian. Does that mean I would be justified in attacking someone eating a Whopper with cheese? It’s in bad taste, and offensive to MY religion.[/quote]

Huhsaywhat? :eh:

Forgive me mick, I am not really familiar with your posting style…are you always like this?

Mick, that’s a silly analogy because you’ve got no emotional stake in the matter. For you, it’s an intellectual exercise. If you really want to have a go at it, think of something that really matters to you. Think of something that’s taboo. Then hand someone a rusty pin and invite them to have a go.[/quote]

Fair comment :thumbsup: