Everything but the kitchen sink--should I rent it?

Evening, I’m looking for some plumbing advice. Advanced apologies about the incredibly banal subject matter.
I’m looking at renting a 5th floor walk up; two rooms and a bathroom, plus one covered square balcony with drainage and one uncovered.
I like the flat, and “light cooking” is allowed, however there isn’t a kitchen sink, or an extractor fan for that matter.
The under cover balcony has a cold tap fitting.

Without washing up in the bathroom, I wondered if anyone has come across something like this, and found a way around it?
I’ve heard you can get free standing sinks, I was thinking of putting one in the undercover balcony section, plumbed in via the cold tap. Is this an awful idea come the winter?
Also is frying/boiling water inside wise without an extractor fan?
Any suggestions, anecdotes and advice would be warmly welcomed!

Insistently does the place sound like a good offer for 14000 inc water/gas, 15 pings, 10 minutes from Shilin MRT? I’m new to this, and rather naive.
Thanks everyone.

Is this one of those illegal rooftop conversions? Be aware that those things can heat up like ovens in the middle of summer, and since they have no planning permission they’ve probably not been inspected for seismic performance, electrical safety, etc.

Yes, you can buy a sink for not a lot of money. Can’t see any particular problem with that. A 水電 guy will sort out a nice bodge job for you, I’m sure. But it’s not a good sign that the landlord couldn’t be arsed to fit one to begin with.

Rent doesn’t sound like a particularly good deal, though. Not bad, but not great for what (I’m guessing) you’re likely to get.

Thanks for the feedback Finley!
It’s a rooftop conversion, yes, I imagine its an illegal one. I see; because they seem to be incredibly common place I thought they were worth looking at. The fact that the landlord hasn’t fitted any plumbing is a concern, however it won’t be if half the building collapses.
I’ll ask the agent who is negotiating if the landlord would consider fitting a sink, and if he has any safety certificates for the build, however I’m imagining a resounding NO to both questions.

Sounds expensive. Will be smelly, uncomfortable and annoying. I wouldn’t do it.

I lived in an illegal shed on the roof of a building near 101. It was great but it was enormous and very well kitted out. One of the downsides though was that because anybody has the right to go onto the roof, I had a couple of attempted burglaries.

[quote=“scarlino”]Thanks for the feedback Finley!
It’s a rooftop conversion, yes, I imagine its an illegal one. I see; because they seem to be incredibly common place I thought they were worth looking at. The fact that the landlord hasn’t fitted any plumbing is a concern, however it won’t be if half the building collapses.
I’ll ask the agent who is negotiating if the landlord would consider fitting a sink, and if he has any safety certificates for the build, however I’m imagining a resounding NO to both questions.[/quote]

have you asked the landlord/agent if cooking is even allowed? Yes, there are many places that rent out where cooking is not allowed. Yours seems of that kind, which means any changes you make n order to cook will void your contract and make you lose your 2 month deposit.

If you want to at least boil water, better look for some place else. And talking about that, electric kettles are the safest bet.

If you want to cook find a place you can cook!

my place has a sink, an electric stove but no extractor fan…

Thanks all for replying,
The place allows “light cooking”, so a hot plate, electric over, but no deep fat fryer. There isn’t a kitchen area so equipment would have to go on a desk or table.
There is actually public access to a section of roof adjacent to the balcony, which has piping and things I don’t understand. Security would be a risk due to PC equipment, good point, thanks. The heat would be an issue, particularly if working from home.
All things and advice considered, I think this is a non goer, and I was romanced by idea of a roof garden and the location.
HeadhonchoII, do you find you get smoked out if boiling or frying? Do alarms in your apartment get set off? It’s just I’ve seen some places that have a kitchenette with no extraction and those were my concerns.
Thanks for your help!

Definitely sounds like poor value in my book. If you look on internet sites you should find better offers.

tmm.org.tw/
taipei.kijiji.com.tw/
rent.591.com.tw/
citynet.com.tw/
happyrent.rakuya.com.tw/

Sounds nice.

Nope, even if it is 20 ping or more. For 14 should be newer, closer to MRT -it’s Shilin already, not Shida- and Internet/cable included.

Electricity is a biggie. make sure you always get an independent meter and pay according to it. Never get one of those collective deals, or pay average, it will come to bite you in the behind.

Yeah, guys come up to ‘fix’ (hit things with hammers and drill) usually in the extreme a.m. :laughing:

In terms of security, all your windows are accessible whereas they usually aren’t in a regular apartment. Although I had a great metal front door with two locks, the back doors were sliding glass things with metal shutters that never quite worked right because of the humidity. And dodgy sliding Asia-windows. I actually caught a guy with my shitty top-loading washing machine. Said my landlord told him to take it to be fixed. Landlady came up and ripped him a new one, then went and gave the guanlis and earful as well. She was a scary old lady. :laughing:

I lived in a rooftop for years

Pros

• cheap
  • huge
  • chill out space and a bit of a view
  • more breeze

Cons

• stairs
  • hot in summer
  • cold on winter
  • typhoons really felt like typhoons
  • gf not feeling secure, they are easier to rob
  • water tank noise can be a problem
  • dodgy electrics and mouldy wAlls from leaks

We cooked in mine had a fan in the window. No extractor is a problem if cooking Chinese food a lot, otherwise should be okay.

There are rooftops with better ‘kitchens’ so maybe keep looking or else ratchet back expectations on how much you will cook.

Oh, gosh, yeah, rooftops are prime targets for thieves and perverts and whatevers, even stray cats. One ran away with a friend’s rabbit once.

They lived in this flimsy “Japanese style” hut, and by Japanese I mean wooden sliding doors with rice paper covers. That was their “room”. The bathroom was a portapotty and they had the fridge with a lock outside in the common space aka corridor, along with the washing machine. Privacy? Well, they could hear all the comings and goings of the couple next door…who had proper semi concrete walls. And I mean no need to strain their ears… But, oh, it’s a rooftop, so nice, so romantic classic Asian ambiance, you know, Japanese style, so cheap (14k too if I remember well), so much space… I think one of them still has issues with her back, from the time spent sleeping on a futon and then on one of those folding beds. Cannot tell you how cold it was in winter, but compared to summer… At least it was a fine Shida location.

It was the space I loved (I had an eight person dining table in my kitchen), and the view. Elephant mountain on the left and in the ‘back garden’, the city in front (no tall buildings anywhere near), Yangmingshan to the right. Citrus trees in pots.

But yeah.All the problems that HH mentions.

Thanks TempoGain, I found the apartment through 591, I haven’t heard of the others, checking them out now.
This is all great advice, I realise I’ve been very green in my approach, so to speak.
I had no idea security on the top floor would be so much of an issue; I thought it would be less accessible if anything. As mentioned, PC and camera gear are my main security concerns, so perhaps it is better to look for an apartment block with a guard? Is it too foolhardy to buy a safe?
That sounds lovely Ermintrude, I understand the appeal completely! From what I can gather, and it is quite an obvious observation, the amount of space is the compromising factor for a kitchen, security and location?
A side note, while I’m new here, I’ve been quite aware that I’m not going to find an apartment with the amenities and dimensions I’m used to in the west (England in this case), however I’m wondering how much to lower my expectations by? I thought 14000 for Shilin as described was a reasonable deal, however clearly I was wrong; what is the middle ground?

The price is kind of reasonable for Shilin, if close to the MRT and you have the whole thing to yourself. Shilin is a bit pricier than some areas but it’s also a very nice spot compared to some areas.

Have you been through a Summer or Winter yet.
Get ready to go mostly naked for much of the Summer and eskimo style for Winter if residing on the roof :bow:

It really depends on what type of lifestyle you lead, rooftops are a great option for some people (chilled out type), and not worth the aforementioned issues for others.

It’s highly variable. Look at as many places in your range as possible. The map on that Rakuya site is useful. There are thumbnails with available apartments and size/rent under the map.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]The price is kind of reasonable for Shilin, if close to the MRT and you have the whole thing to yourself. Shilin is a bit pricier than some areas but it’s also a very nice spot compared to some areas.

Have you been through a Summer or Winter yet.
Get ready to go mostly naked for much of the Summer and eskimo style for Winter if residing on the roof :bow:

It really depends on what type of lifestyle you lead, rooftops are a great option for some people (chilled out type), and not worth the aforementioned issues for others.[/quote]

I think 10 minutes from the MRT is not that close, and Shilin is quite variable. Is it next to a traditional market? On the MRT tracks? 10 minutes by foot or by bus or by scooter? Still, it is an illegal structure, can’t imagine the kind of walls, so I say too much if the walls ain’t solid.

The guard in the building will not be much help as thieves usually jump from roof to roof.

As with dating, do not lower your expectations to accommodate what you think is local custom -it is probably not. If you have to justify it with: but that is the way of life here, can’t ask much… it is not worth it. Take a local friend with you -which is helpful to add here NEVER sign anything without a local witness on your side. If they cringe, bail.

Great stuff. I’ve decided to leave that apartment be, but it is ten minutes walk north of Shilin MRT, overlooking Shaungxi River, near Fulin Bridge. I was told the walls were steel with enforced concrete, and using the upper limits of my structural engineering knowledge, when I knocked on them they seemed pretty solid.

I’m looking at Neihu also, and will view some properties tonight. I don’t wish to abuse your hospitality by talking you through every property I look at, but for reference, both properties are on top floor. Now my eyes are more open regarding rooftop living, I think I can spot an additional storey added to the top, and I’m aware of the issues.
From photos, the properties look a lot more finished (and have a plumbed in sink); I’ll look more closely for details mentioned, eg. properly sealing windows, access rights, plumbing. Regarding structure however, are there any tips for finding out whether the building can hold its own in a typhoon or earthquake? Is it common for the landlord to have safety certificates (I feel this may be another naive question)? Should I just toughen up and sleep in a hard hat?

Nice comparison regarding dating, icon! I’m glad you didn’t link it back to the topic of plumbing! I’ll bring a friend to help out.

If you work from home, won’t you consider the hills of Xindian? You can rent a house -I mean, a free standing building with garden- for 14k. Plenty of space for BBQs and not so far from civilization in case of partying.