Eww! Cockroaches!

I’ve visited Taipei for a month, seen a few cockroaches, not that many since it’s winter time; not sure if that really is the reason. But I’m sure summer has tons!!

I will be moving to Taipei soon!

BUT COCKROACHES!! HATE TO SEE THEM!!! exceptionally afraid of them!!!

How can I avoid cockroaches in my home? I have a 13 months coming along so I cant spray anything in the apartment (will be living in Zhongxiao Dong Lu area). What else can I do to help? Anything I can buy to make cockroaches stay away from my apartment door and windows?

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!

You can’t entirely avoid them but keep the place clean (no food and drinks lying / standing around openly, wipe away any “droppings”, wash out used glasses / cups when leaving them on the sink etc.) and cool / dry, that should reduce the occurence of cockroaches and other pests (ants, mosquitos …). Also spray the entrances once in a while with pestizide.

The cheap sticky cockroach traps work really well too.

The baits work the best for me. You have to not use in conjunction with the spray and it takes about a week for them to show improvement, but it’s worth it. They kill the roaches, plus their mommas and their children and their aunts and uncles.

Yeah, they can be pests, and it’s not just the big ones either. The little ones are everywhere, even if you keep everything immaculately clean. Never had problems with ants and flies, though. I’ve found that the only thing that really works is insecticide, but like you, I have a 13 month old which kind of rules out that option. Perhaps you can let off some bug bombs in the apartment before you move in, and then clean everything thoroughly. That will be a big help in the beginning.

You’re very brave coming here with a toddler. I’ve found that Taiwan isn’t very toddler friendly, especially if you don’t have a granny that can take care of the child. Daycare is expensive and dodgy (although Taipei may be better) and kindergartens only accept kids two y/o or older.
I’ve found moving around the city and in crowded areas to be an ordeal, and not being the most patient person on the island, it is exacerbated for me with everyone pointing and commenting on how big his eyes are etc… All and sundry also think it’s ok to poke your baby in the face and pinch his cheeks. Not a good idea at the moment as there’s a potentially fatal intestinal virus doing the rounds that is spread by contact.

I have found that the higher up you live in your apartment block, the lower the number of cockroaches.

YMMV

[quote=“Funk500”]I have found that the higher up you live in your apartment block, the lower the number of cockroaches.

YMMV[/quote]

This is true. Houses seem to be the worst wrt cockroach infestations…

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Dr. McCoy, does baits really gathers their ENTIRE family!? I’m gonna get cleaning services, and have baits a week in advance! I knew I would freak out when I “see” the results. I wish I could overcome cockroaches.

bismarck, I truly understand your feelings towards people touching your little one, especially it’s the season full of hand-foot-mouth disesase. But it’s really cute that everyone’s making comments about his big eyes!! =)

And don’t have any paper in your apartment – roaches are quite happy to survive on that.

[quote=“nubymom”]Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Dr. McCoy, does baits really gathers their ENTIRE family!? I’m gonna get cleaning services, and have baits a week in advance! I knew I would freak out when I “see” the results. I wish I could overcome cockroaches.

bismarck, I truly understand your feelings towards people touching your little one, especially it’s the season full of hand-foot-mouth disesase. But it’s really cute that everyone’s making comments about his big eyes!! =)[/quote]
The roaches eat the bait and then they go home and it gets transferred to the nest and they all die. That’s why if you use sprays it doesn’t work. You need to let them go home. The good thing is that they don’t die in your house. You don’t see the dead ones, but after awhile you don’t see the live ones either. I have best luck with the Raid brand.

… and don’t forget, they like water … clean up all sinks and bathroom for water residu …

don’t forget to take out the garbage at the end of every day

Such dispargement of the roach, as is not oft seen.
What are we, a band of housewives?

The roach is a magnificent being, to whom we should really all get down & hail as the phantom lord!
Especially those flying mofos!
Damn, if they aint the Shizznit!

Don’t get me wrong, I marvel at them outside.
Yet inside, my domain, and my ever-expanding perimeter, i will lay waste to them all.
First, block off likely avenues of entry. Seal & spray windows and doors. Block off and spray nearby sewer vents.
With a little foresight & contingency planning, all that’s left are those that did not die. Most of the time they are quite weak, yet show no mercy. Unless, of course, they run over to thy neighbour’s house…
Shocking, I know, yet why let them in? Keep them pinned down long enough for the fire teams to either deal death or dispersion…

HuzzAH!

Sealing entry points off is very important. We bought a sealant gun and sealed up every possible entry point, and also kept our place extremely clean and had garbage cans with lids. It’s also essential to avoid clutter, and keep things as neat and tidy as possible.

I only saw one cockroach in our place, and that was after a big Costcos shopping trip, so I’m convinced it came out of a box we brought home from there.

Cats love to kill cockroaches!
I have two proven cockroach killers available for adoption through Animals Taiwan.

I am fostering these lovelies until they find a real home.
They would be delighted to keep your home cockroach-free! And poison-free, too.
Can’t beat that!

They look lovely.
Temperament?
How do I know that said kats don’t konsider my kids roaches to be swatted or scratched?

Can they kill snakes and mice?
they look a little bloated.
Just curious.
Gingah!

uhm, yeah. Bit round.

Ginger (the male) is on a diet. The picture shown was taken months ago.

Ginger’s temperament is sweet - you can pick him up and haul him about. He is a bit cross-eyed, which adds to his character (…okay, okay, it’s cute). He has a fantastic name and equally fantastic colouring, which I’m sure should appeal to the masses (ie - you!)
Mistletoe (Missy) the female calico is very cuddly when you are sitting still ( eg. watching TV, reading, or typing). She doesn’t like to be picked up at all. Her fur is the softest in the world (I can produce the papers necessary to prove this).

Both are really shy with strangers. It took over a month for them to warm up to me. They are fine now - even lounging around when the dog does her bouncing thing. (Although they kept a lower profile when there were puppies in the house…)

As far as mice and snakes - I am sure Missy would love to give it her all - she is a very active cat and delights in chasing things. Ginger would be thrilled beyond words to lie on the sidelines and cheer her on. (Thus the “weight -maintenance” food).

A few things that don’t kill cockroaches:

Nuclear bombs
Decapitation, cockroaches can live without a head for about a week until they stave to death.

So don’t try those.

I think nuclear bombs would kill them. They may survive the radiation better than us though.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]A few things that don’t kill cockroaches:

Nuclear bombs
Decapitation, cockroaches can live without a head for about a week until they stave to death.

So don’t try those.[/quote]

Am the only one here that sees a connection between the loss of a head and not being able to eat leading to one’s death?