Exchange rates and fees for foreign currency

I’ve read on another thread that China Trust and the “Uighur guys who stand outside the foreigner hotels” are places to get good exchange rates. But I know that the fees per transaction vary from 30NT (at the airport) to 100NT or even 300 NT. Exchange rates seem generally quite good, assuming I don’t exchange in a hotel, but do you have suggestions for where I get low fees?

And if I go with the grey market (e.g. Uighur guys), should I be concerned about counterfeit money in Taiwan?

Thanks.

No answer…

So, has anyone changed cash (other than at the airport or a hotel with an awful exchange rate) and paid a fee of less than 100 NT?

I never change US$ to NT$, but when I exchange from NT$ to US$, I just go to the bank.

[quote=“Sola Topee”]I’ve read on another thread that China Trust and the “Uighur guys who stand outside the foreigner hotels” are places to get good exchange rates. But I know that the fees per transaction vary from 30NT (at the airport) to 100NT or even 300 NT. Exchange rates seem generally quite good, assuming I don’t exchange in a hotel, but do you have suggestions for where I get low fees?

And if I go with the grey market (e.g. Uighur guys), should I be concerned about counterfeit money in Taiwan?

Thanks.[/quote]

I hear that jewelry stores will exchange money for cheap rates. Not sure how true it is, but doesn’t hurt to give it a try.

Bank of Taiwan near the Presidential building … good rates, no fees …

If you have USD then at Bank of Taiwan they do currency exchanges for free, aside from a small NTD$30 for every US$100 if the bills aren’t the newest “big heads” colored ones.

I don’t know what you mean by free, since as you just said they charge 30NT for each 100; that’s already 1%, and in my experience the rate they give you on top of that is by far the worst of any bank out there, with the 1% add-on I think it’s about 5%. I’ve found a few other banks that charge as little as 1.5% free and clear. Trouble is I never write the damn names down which is why i’m now searching for exactly that information :stuck_out_tongue: Only advantage is Taiwan bank will take the money no other banks will accept, again at egregious rates, I think you can pay nearly 15% if you have old bills and the ‘bad’ serial numbers on top of that, for example.