Excitement comes to Cin Shuei

It’s just after lunch, I ride my bicycle to Da Jia.

On my way back, between Ja Nan and Cin Shuei, I notice two policemen stationed at every intersection. Odd, but I quickly forget about it.

Just as I am coming into the north end of town the air raid siren starts. WTF? Thinks I. Has China finally made good on its threats? I look up. No war planes sallying forth from the airbase behind Taichung Airport.

The siren continues.

Coming along Jongshan Road into the heart of town things are getting really eerie. Not quite two O’clock. Where is everyone? Not a soul in site. Downtown Cin Shuei is deserted. My bicycle is the only vehicle on the road. Finally I see a policeman who waves me off Jongshan Road.

I take the backstreets to my apartment and walk back to Jongshan Road to see what’s going on. Something’s up, I think to myself, better go home and get the digital camera. I get it and come back. The air raid siren has stopped. Yes, me thinks, whatever it is it’s going to be good.

I wait. And wait. And wait. And wait some more. Nothing happens. I step into the street, looking in both directions. Nothing. I call my laoban. “Do you know what’s going on in town?” I ask. “You have to go inside,” she says, “we are practicing like we are at war. You have to stay inside until 2:50.”

2:50? Almost an hour. I run back to my apartment and use the quiet afforded by the military drill to take a nap.

I wouldn’t expect there to be any sole on site along Jongshan Road… :wink: They are normally found in the ocean.

I wouldn’t expect there to be any sole on site along Jongshan Road… :wink: They are normally found in the ocean.[/quote]

No matter how careful I am, I always seem to miss one error when proof-reading, providing opportunity for someone to show their smartassedness.

ah so that’s what the sirens were for…

practicing war drills…

doesn’t it involve looting shops and having your way with that sexy girl from the next door appartment?

in which case ,taking a nap made you fail

Ahh yes…the famous Taiwanese - “Stay inside and take a nap ‘We’re at War’ startegy”

Ah yes, were you also shuffled into the 7-11 bomb-proof shelter?

HG

Ahh yes…the famous Taiwanese - “Stay inside and take a nap ‘We’re at War’ startegy”[/quote]

Where’s Tigerman when I need him?

I dunno TC, maybe it’s a Taoist thing. Do nothing and nothing will not be done.