Exciting news: Taiwan to reduce penalty for growing marijuana for personal use

I read but i must have been high

Weed has medicinal properties , people can hate thats all good .

Im glad gay people can marry in Taiwan, there was a time nobody thought it would ever be excepted .

I grew up in usa and never ever thought weed would be legal and then wow things change.

Its a exciting positive movement for the pro weed crowd. Sorry im excited, im two years without my medicine and yes im struggling with pain . It was the biggest issue of moving to tw .

3 Likes

A lot of people were excited when they repealed Prohibition in the States, too.

Not if you smoke it. It’s as carcinogenic as tobacco.

Mod can i still post here?

In the article which i have read multiple times im curious they mention minimum and mandatory

Im from the u s of a and normally even minimum sentences can be disgarded buy a judge
Mandatory is pretty firm.
For example my friends growing weed in their home for profit were feared that having a gun at a grow op was 5 year mandatory federal prison(if busted)no gun maybe a slap on the wrist. Yes no gun means guys with guns come and take their harvest so dont tell anyone…

I have only read stories about Taiwan punishments but in this article are they trying to say it was 5 year mandatory and they want to change it to 1 year mandatory? I dont want have a taiwanese penal code print in chinese to parse .From foreigner knowledge is minimum also mandatory? Enlighten me

Weed being taboo and excessively overpriced is TWs Achilles heel in terms of daily life.

@jimipresley weed not a carcinogen. it has other drawbacks though.

2 Likes

No where close to tobacco. Weed has anti-carcinogenic substances which reduce the carcinogenicity. And you won’t ever smoke that much. In fact, even alcohol is way more carcinogenic.

2 Likes

There is a old question weed heads use to ask , how many people have died from SMOKING weed?? Back in the day the answer was zero!! Today its probably changed (potency)i remember years back in the news a kid was so high he jumped out a window to his death

Not necessarily penalties. but legalisation. The GDP of a country, simply speaking, is how much we in a society produce every year. Taiwan, when adjusted for purchasing power, produces an average of $54000 US per person of goods and services, which, combined together is about $1.276 Trillion US. One person is a drop in the bucket but many people add up. When someone dies prematurely or is incarcerated, their ability to contribute and produce goods and services is eliminated from the economy causing a drop, which costs us. We know that Marijuana is fairly innocuous and that Nixon’s war on drugs in the US started as a big fat lie to disrupt black and left wing communities.

How does this relate to China? Both the People’s Republic of China and the Republic of China have very strong anti-drug views due to the effects of opium and the opium wars and Ch’ing China’s century of humiliation.

So in Chinese and many Asian cultures, drugs and Marijuana are seen as extremely bad things and unbelievably harsh sentences are given. Legalising Marijuana in Taiwan would have four positive effects on Taiwan in its defence against China.

1. It would keep people out of prison for smoking something that is fairly innocuous, keeping them in society as productive members, continuing to squeeze every last drop of our economy.
  2. Marijuana would become a good, meaning that purchase and manufacture would contribute to economic production of a good that could easily be made in Taiwan, increasing wealth and creating jobs.
  3. Incarcerated people are not just unproductive, but they cost taxpayers money directly. Preventing people from going to prison means court costs are saved, incarceration subsistence costs are saved, freeing money for the government to budget on more useful things to continue to improve Taiwan. Money that could be used towards extra defence etc…

The first things are about improving Taiwan’s economic situation and living standards so that we are able to be as strong as a country can be. A strong Taiwan can better fight China, buy more weapons etc… the most important is 4.

1. The Chinese Communist Party is unlikely to change its mind on Marijuana and is deathly afraid of it. A weed-smoking Taiwan with it easily available would make Taiwan even more unpalatable for the Chinese Communists to swallow the country. Bringing in a ‘Province’ that does drugs, potentially being able to distribute them in China and cause headaches for the Communist Party? There is nothing that screams Taiwan is a country more than being able to do things in Taiwan that you can’t do in China despite their lies about Taiwan being part of China.

‘You can’t smoke weed here! It’s illegal in China!’
‘Hahhaa, we’re not in China bro… we’re in Taiwan. We have our own laws dude… Lighten up by lightin up mannnnn’

And this stuff would continue to push Taiwan onto the map further and further into the mindshare of foreigners that Taiwan is a country.

There’s no downside!

4 Likes

Weed is like gay marriage in that people without firsthand experience are usually against it until some legalization laws pass and then they are all like “why the hell were we against this anyway?”

Just imagine a Taiwan that has legalized smoking and producing weed. Damn that will look good on the global stage. I will wager that tourism will boom like it has never before in this country.

4 Likes

… well… there is that coronaviras-thing-a-ma-jig…

If you want a lot of backpacking weed tourism in the place. Pros and cons with that obviously.

The closest place for legal weed is GUAM - only 4 hrs. away with great beaches!!

3 Likes

Try selling that to your average Taiwanese voter.

Get ready for a barrage of high-posting on Forumosa. Hehe hehe. Low incomes and no place to park. Hehe.

Taiwan doesn’t have a war on drugs. It just gives drug dealers the death penalty.

I agree. But regardless, it comes down to it’s my own body and my choice for me.

1 year is ridiculous considering cannabis has been grown and cultivated on the island since the aboriginals.

1 Like

The most socially harmful drug in Taiwan is alcohol by far.

The most costly to Taiwan is tobacco with the alarming high cancer rates in Taiwan.

Drug use and addiction should be a public health issue, not criminal. It’s time Taiwan moves ahead on this issue.

1 Like

I didn’t say Taiwan had a war on drugs.

1 Like

Smoking any substance is probably bad for you.
Whereas a small amount of alcohol is supposedly good for you.

1 year minimum for a plant is still way too draconian.

1 Like