Exit Plan(s)

Why? Is it that hot in February? climate change? Or is 50F considered hot to Canadians?

In Texas loss of AC function is considered an emergency, meaning you can call your landlord at 3AM to get someone to come out and fix it. But Texas gets quite hot, like over 110F in the summer, and night is still over 85F (that’s 30C for the rest of the world). You could die in that heat without AC.

It’s -5°C in feb.

1 Like

Don’t know, maybe it’s the parka people wear and the AC helps people to not get sweaty and people don’t want to take it off? Could have just opened a window or let some outside air in via their air handler. Does AC even work at -5C?? The coils would have frozen over. Unless you mean they ran their AC backwards in order to get hot air inside and stuff, like a heat pump (which is actually a highly efficient way of getting heat from electricity).

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Being a serf in the land of Golden Pony Trudeau, his soccer mom admirers, greasy poutine, maple syrup, plonk wine/overrated beer, CBC wokeness, Celine Dion, pompous self promotion of universal healthcare that most other countries of the same GDP per capita have, etc. Boring and insular people defining themselves by what they are not (Americans) rather than producing/contributing anything of substance.

What is not to love? Well to be fair, I miss the view from the family residence.

https://scontent.flba3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/38002664_10156262213200813_293148650576543744_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=fhxGs_gaM90AX8FGmo5&_nc_ht=scontent.flba3-1.fna&oh=a9f2bf6b4763f8d66ec95e16830112d8&oe=60CF67FE

Frankly though, I would still rather be an expat in pretty much any other country.

6 Likes

Still cannot really grasp the paranoia flying around about a virus.

I made my plan b a decade ago as well, good to always have one. As yet, still have no reason to use it.

This ccp virus is so far away from being a serious worry its not funny. currently there are only 2 scenarios i can think of that would make me leave due to an emergency.

Nuclear disaster like a fukishima. Taiwan is too small to move somewhere safe. or,

China invades

Covid is far further down the panic list. Are thye spiking the water with somehing? Too much smog is blocking oxygen to the brain? Why are people acting so irrational in recent years?

4 Likes

Cos I don’t wanna catch the rona?

Well, ya. no one does. But we dont run for the hills cause we dun wanna catch the titis or the lenza…

2 Likes

To be in a place where the virus is on the way out, not the way in, and to be in a place where it’s possible to get a good vaccine.

I don’t dispute that it can be costly to leave (permanently or temporarily), if you’ve made up your mind, you can come up with any justification for your decision. Like, you don’t have to leave permanently, buy a car, etc. but it sure is a good way to talk yourself out of having an exit plan.

The virus is far from on its way out in Canada. Thousands are infected a day and are spreading it to thousands more.

Taiwan’s numbers have not indicated an explosion. leaving would be an unnecessary expense to hell to a place that remains far worse and would likely remain worse while Taiwan gets this under control in a time that even the domestic vaccine is 8 weeks away.

Leaving would be terrible logic.

2 Likes

It’s not just about the virus. It’s about being stuck in a place that could be going into lockdown with severe restrictions on movement and access to basic services.

As an example, what if you have a health issue that you just started treatment for and you can’t do your tests and get a refill of your prescription because non-emergency outpatient access is curtailed and Taiwan (from what I saw) is behind the curve on telemedicine?

Essential services would remain open. That’s why they are essential.

One must think pretty low of Taiwan to even consider leaving to an objectively worse situation. Especially when such a mess would begin to be resolved in 8 weeks.

2 Likes

Talked to anybody who actually lived through a lockdown? What you might consider “essential” might not be “essential” to the government. As an example, you might have a health issue that greatly affects your daily life but since it doesn’t threaten your life, your treatment could be jeopardized because outpatient services are suspended. At least in the US they were able to address this type of issue for many people quickly because telehealth was already a thing.

I hope the outbreak is under control in 8 weeks but there’s no guarantee of that, and based on what we’ve seen around the world, I would not expect full eradication, meaning the bubble we were living in won’t be coming back until there’s mass vaccination with an effective vaccine.

From what I see, Taiwan’s response is disturbingly chaotic and slow. Disappointing given that the people in charge had a year to prepare and learn from other countries.

Your comment about domestic vaccines is very curious to me. Medigen hasn’t undergone a proper Phase III trial. Rolling out a vaccine, the efficacy of which is unknown, to the general public is a huge red flag and looks more like a desperate move.

I left Taiwan to get vaccinated in the US and have no regrets. It’s about putting my health in my own hands, not trusting the people in government to protect me. As the outbreak shows, no government anywhere in the world can guarantee protection from this virus.

6 Likes

Due to your condescending tone. I am ending this conversation.

2 Likes

It was a serious question because you seem totally ignorant to or dismissive of the fact that outbreaks and lockdowns shut people out from healthcare access.

People will die because they can’t follow up with their doctors and get screenings.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(20)30388-0/fulltext

Substantial increases in the number of avoidable cancer deaths in England are to be expected as a result of diagnostic delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the UK. Urgent policy interventions are necessary, particularly the need to manage the backlog within routine diagnostic services to mitigate the expected impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on patients with cancer.

1 Like

Where have I claimed to speak for anyone else besides myself?

You said:

Essential services would remain open. That’s why they are essential.

I was just pointing out the reality that what’s “essential” to the government isn’t necessarily what’s “essential” to real people.

Many people around the world have lost their ability to get important health screenings and follow up on health issues that affect their lives because of COVID.

That alone can be a valid reason to get outta dodge for somebody who doesn’t want to risk being stuck in a situation where they can’t deal with a non-life threatening but still consequential health issue.

1 Like

I remain confused as to where I claimed I spoke for anyone outside of myself.

Edit: Since it seems I will not get an answer. I will answer it.

No I didn’t. Not once in my posts did I claim I gave any more than a passing thought about other people’s situations.

Therefore:

But I don’t. So… irrelevant.

Irrelevant

Never used such a thing in my life. Irrelevant.
Would also never get treated in the US and pay $10 million for a broken arm.

Yet you seem to be quite adamant in trying to convince me to put myself in danger by going to a zone that I clearly mentioned was high risk.

Everything you have said in this quote is irrelevant to me.

I’m not talking about people. I’m talking about me.

Why do I give a flying fuck about the UK? I’m not going to the UK, I’m not allowed in the UK. Irrelevant.

What happens to others is irrelevant to me at this point in time as I have clearly indicated in my posts that you have failed to read and are now avoiding the answer to my question.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Have I made myself clear?

The only reason why one would adamantly continue to attempt to convince me to leave Taiwan, despite already clearly saying that staying was best for me is if the person in question held Taiwan in low regard. I have confidence in Taiwan. I am staying.

In almost the same breath, you simultaneously talk about taking your health into your own hands while calling me ignorant because I have chosen the opposite path to you. That is some mental gymnastics there and I can only speculate that one with a particularly low regard for Taiwan would even consider calling someone ignorant and dismissive for making the active choice to stay here.

So… Here’s the rub - you say you have to have an exit plan, but in actuality, you can’t have one, because you say you have to stay. So you’re just gonna have to wait and see.

3 Likes

What is your magic standard? Which magic land has had a more orderly, clear, and prompt response to this mess?

I get that we’re disappointed now (I am too) but these sorts of comments are frankly ridiculous.

Guy

2 Likes

IF I WERE YOU - I say again, if I were you - I might think about leaving ASAP. The government isn’t handling this situation well, and since you’re going to Canada anyway maybe it’s better to say goodbye to that airfare reimbursement?

I don’t think that breaking contracts is good, but if we’re all teaching from home by then what’s it going to matter? I suppose if you were very conscientious you could offer to continue teaching online from Canada.

3 Likes