Exotic Masala House - nice southern-Indian-ish curry place

Indian restaurant with some South Indian food such as masala dosa, coconut/green chutneys, and idli. Just off Shi-Da Road, opposite Out of India. Inexpensive and definitely worth going back to. More info here:
laorencha.blogspot.com/2008/09/e … house.html

Recommended:
Masala Dosa set with & coconut chutney & sambar (lentil soup - I’ve heard it called sambal before but I guess that’s just an alternate spelling). Lovely crispy dosa with tasty curry filling.
Green chutney
Mango Lassi
“Indian milk tea”, but make sure you ask for more spice mix, as pointed out in a follow-up post on the Lao Ren Cha blog.

I wasn’t massively into the idlis but that’s my personal taste. And the lamb curry was just average. But I’ll definitely go back for more masala dosas and tea, and I’ll try some of the other stuff on the menu next time too.

Sambal is Indonesian and Malay chili paste, sambar is a Tamil chowder made from daal and tamarind. It’s a staple in the south of India and usually accompanies masala or idli dosa.

Do they have south Indian coffee? Tea is more north Indian.

Sounds good! Mind you I got plenty of south Indian here in HK.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Sambal is Indonesian and Malay chili paste, sambar is a Tamil chowder made from daal and tamarind. It’s a staple in the south of India and usually accompanies masala or idli dosa.

Do they have south Indian coffee? Tea is more north Indian.

Sounds good! Mind you I got plenty of south Indian here in HK.

HG[/quote]
Sambar it was then. It wasn’t very sour though… I guess maybe the authentic version has a bit more tamarind in.

Don’t remember seeing coffee on the menu… as the tea was highly recommended, I went for that, and wasn’t disappointed (definitely worth asking for extra spice mix in there- a good strong cardamom/cinnamon type kick that’s hard to find here).

Guys, can anyone help? Anyone in the vicinity of Gongguan can tell me if it is still open? They moved a while ago from Shida to an alley in Gongguan close to Taipower building station, and I was going there happily but last time I went for lunch - Wednesday- it was closed. Have they been kicked out again by the neighbors? If anyone knows, please do tell, it has great food at reasonable prices.

They were there a couple of weeks ago. I’m kind of in the area now, I’ll wander down and check after I leave the coffee shop I’m in.

Masala House is at the Gongguan area, was there several weeks ago … take Taipower exit 2, cross the road (Xinhai Rd. sec.1) when at the other side turn left, it’s at Lane 34, Xinhai rd, sec.1 on your right. But the actual address is 106, Taiwan, Taipei City, Da’an District, Lane 269, Section 3, Roosevelt Road, 6號 … so Xinhai lane goes over into a Roosevelt lane road just before Masala house. Coming from Xinhai it’s on your right. It’s about 4-5 min. from exit 2 depending which way you take, Roosevelt or Xinhai.

Sambal Oelek is an Indonesian chili paste commercialized under the Suzy Wan brandname in Europe.

Ehem, address I had, dear, thanks. But last time I went at noon it was closed. Found the phone number and called ahead to make sure they were still in Business. So many restaurants are under threat in the college areas, there is no budget stuff anymore.

They had some staffing problems or something … they’re closed on Tuesday or Wednesday (like you said) I believe. I always go in the early evening, than continue to Odeon2 for Belgian Beer.

Just walked past, still open and packed.

Beat ya, just ate there, very happy. :smiley:

Too crowded to ask if they were on a break or something, but I did noticed new staff. So if anyone else goes, gotta be patient!

Recommended: Myosore chicken. Crispy and tender, spicy with fresh sauce, mmm

Is it still run by guys from Tibet?

Guy

Warning to the people like Icon who do not pay attention to signs: they are closed on Wednesdays. Found this the hard way: imagine you are drooling, dreaming of delicious Mysore chicken… and find the doors closed! Yes, there is a sign:

But waiting for the reward is worth it:

Thanks Icon. It is in my list now. :lick: