Expat vs. Immigrant

Expats live in countries poorer than from from whence they came. Immigrants live in countries richer than from from whence they came. An expat always has the fallback of going back home to her more prosperous “motherland.” An immigrant doesn’t.

As someone alluded to before: British expats in Spain soak up the sun all day. South african immigrants in Austrailia adapt quickly to their “new” environment.

Explain that statement to the American expats living and working in the Netherlands. Go to the forums at:

expatica.com/

I’m sure they’ll be entertained.

Ok, I’ll qualify my statement. One is an expat, rather than an immigrant, when one lives in a country poorer than, or at least as affluent as, the country from whence one came.

The Netherlands are rich in Cheese, but else?

(No offense intended.)

[quote=“Rascal”]The Netherlands are rich in Cheese, but else?

(No offense intended.)[/quote]

Cheap dope…ever been to Venlo on a weekend?

I happened to grow up just a stone-throw away from the dutch border (walking distance really) though I haven’t been a customer of the famous ‘coffee shops’.

Love their cheese, fries and licorice though. :slight_smile:

Lubricants, rubbers, and red light districts.
Tulips, dykes, and van dykes.
Brews, pews, and Nistleroys too.
Rembrandts, Queen B’s, and White Widow’s
high down low.
World Dart Champion, sturdy boats, canals
winding through courts
Justice Den Haag.
Ports, train’s, trucks.
Not so small brains.
Green cities, international
Trade
Suicide hotels,
Heroin halfway houses,
Gay marriage,
Euthanisa,
Euros first and firmly adapted.
Global aid
Laughing and tripping
Through Schipol
Nearly Everyday.

An interesting view of expats and sex.

fredoneverything.net/Expats.shtml

I think this is more of a draw to Taiwan for expats than “because they want to enjoy sex with lovely young lovelies.” (I mean, it’s not as there aren’t plenty of those back home as well) I enjoy a considerably wider range of personal freedom here than I could back in the U.S. The tax rate is a LOT lower than most other countries, encounters with cops are generally more easy-going than back in the U.S., you can crack that beer open as soon you walk out of 7-11 and walk around without getting busted for open container, etc.