Explain speed to me

OK I’m seeing some posts about the difference between 600! cc bikes and 1000!!! cc bikes and how fast they get up to astronomical speeds in Taiwan. But tell me… Why is this necessary? The speed limit doesn’t pass 110, as far as I know(and correct me if I’m wrong), and most places it’s 50.

Admittedly, I speed too, but the minute I get past 80, there’s a blue truck, a dumbass scooter punk, or a taxi in my immediate way. Biking is dangerous here; why push it?

I might be the guy doing something stupid in your immediate out of control zone. Do you want to kill me?

I would love to have a big bike by the way; but I don’t want one for the crazy power. I want one because of the many other options it has. excellent braking. Good power? Carry a pretty gurl comfortably? Looks? Range? You name it.

How fast do you need to go?

I’ve been riding since I’ve been 7: dirtbikes, motocross, enduro, streetbikes, big bikes, and now limited to 150cc bikes in taiwan. I can’t see myself needing more than a 400 cc for any need in taiwan. 4 stroke.

A bike that wants to pull a wheelie in 3’rd sounds scary to me. Too much power. I never race, and I never cut “too” loose when I’m not familiar with the road.

I haven’t had any sort of accident since I was 15. Now I’m 31 and I hope to go another 15 years.

Somebody please explain the need for speed for me.

I like to keep the skin on my body, thanks.
:slight_smile:
Note: his post wasn’t meant to disparage anyone. Just trying to get it through my thick skull.

smashy crashy

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]OK I’m seeing some posts about the difference between 600! cc bikes and 1000!!! cc bikes and how fast they get up to astronomical speeds In Taiwan. But tell me… Why is this necessary? The speed limit doesn’t pass 110, as far as I know(and correct me if I’m wrong), and most places it’s 50.

smashy crashy[/quote]

I hope I don’t offend anyone, but I think “big” bikes in Taiwan are a waste. I love big bikes to death…God they are amzing, astonishing, engineered to perfection etc, but in Taiwan they are stupid and too expensive. Also I don’t think that many people know how to work on them (maybe I am wrong, I just don’t know) I am comparing it to the US. I think 150cc NSR’s RZ’s, FZR’s are the perfect rockets in Taiwan. Cheap, light, pretty quick, handle well, cheap to fix. The biggest I would go in Taiwan would be a CBR 250cc. God I would love a NSR 250cc…anything bigger just scares me here. Watch out for the blue trucks!!!

Too lazy to search. But this topic has been debated many times on this fourm before. The usual conclusion is that those who own or have owned a big bore bike here know they aren’t useless and that there are many roads outside the cities that are quite suitable for big bikes. And those who haven’t just won’t understand. I’ve been riding big bikes here for 5 years, there have been so many places I would have never been to if I didn’t have a big bike. Sure I could drive, or spend a day riding there on a scooter, but it just isn’t the same. Without a big bike there’s no way I could head out to Juifen for breakfast, and cruise along the coast to Tamshui, and be back in Taipei by lunch.

I loved NSRs when I rode them. They’ll keep up with the big bikes easily enough. BUT, now that I’ve owned a big bike…I won’t be going back. I’ll ride my scooter and make do until I have enough money to buy a big bike again. The NSR is speed without emotion…the CBR is speed WITH emotion. I’ve actually had tears come to my eyes a few times on big bikes…no joke.

There are plenty of roads suited to big bikes in Taiwan…you just need to know where they are (east coast mostly). For a few months I was taking my big bike to work…I was hitting 250km/hr on a bi-daily basis…just going to work. And I’m still here typing about it…didn’t get me to work much faster…but it was fun.

My bike is gone now…and I feel a little empty. I have all this money…and the only thing I want to do with it is go riding…on a bike I don’t own anymore. :frowning:

I discuss owning a big bike here: [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … &postorder](Is buying a "big bike" in Taiwan stupid? Most would say yes

I hope that clears some things up.