Extension of ARC: Do it yourself or allow agent?

Hello guys,

I am coming near to the end of my current contract. Whether I will stay or not I don’t know. Even if I do, there will be a month’s gap between this contract and the next one–so I need to extend my present ARC.

The agent offers to do it but some have advised against this. Perhaps they are careless? Is it better to do it alone? If I do it alone, my understanding is:

1. I must apply within the last 30 days of the ARC before expiry
  2. Complete an application form
  3. Take a photo
  4. Pay 1000 NTD for a 6 month extension.

Anything else? And should I let the agent do it rather than go in person?

Do it yourself. Then you know you have it once you have the receipt.

1 Like

I’ve had a bad experience with an agent (I ended up having to do a visa run to HK as a result), but I’ve also had a good experience with an agent.

Doing it by yourself really isn’t hard. Just go to NIA and they’ll walk you through the process. Bring photos and cash.

Even though I’ve had a bad experience, I still used an agent again (someone else, of course) because I was super busy, and having someone else do it for me was worth the risk at that time. But if you choose to use an agent, please make sure that you do it early enough that in the event they mess up, you still have enough time to do it yourself.

But remember: You are liable for any mistakes that are made, even if it wasn’t your fault.

Thanks. So I should do it myself I guess. I guess I can just complete the form in the immigration dept. office? Or get the form and do it before? I suppose it is easy to complete?

I believe you can do it all online now.

I believe its just for students.

1 Like

Do you have the link? I just wasted two working days applying for and picking up mine in person because I didn’t see anything online for work-permit based ARC extension

A strange development is that the agent–after showing no previous interest and telling me only a handful of people in Taiwan hahave the Gold Card–now wants me to let her do the application for me! She has even started an application in my name though I did not give permission for that.

Anyone know why an agent would do that? Anything in it for her? Maybe she is just trying to learn about the GC? I don’t see how someone else could do it for you really as the information is very personal.

Sounds like its the first time she has done it.

I would run in the opposite direction.

Are you a blue collar worker? Why would you need an agent. When you renew, they will need your passport. Would you trust someone to take away your passport for who knows how long? Where are you located (major city)? And when do you need to get it done?

Are you a blue collar worker? Why would you need an agent. When you renew, they will need your passport. Would you trust someone to take away your passport for who knows how long? Where are you located (major city)? And when do you need to get it done?

Sorry, I think you misunderstood or didn’t read the first part of the thread. The agent actually made a gold card application for me–without telling me–and the obly reason she didn’t submit was because they asked for a 3500 online payment. Otherwise, the application would have gone in with failure as an outcome assured: none of the necessary documents were included and what she tknows about me is limited. I had simply told her that I was thinking of making an application–and she took it from there.

I can only think that agents and companies might not like independence on the part of those who could be saying bye bye. Perhaps a pathetic application and sure failure would have been considered funny and a deserved come-uppance? Anyway, I calmly told her to cancel it, which she did. I also wrote to immigration telling them the application had not been mine. Of course, it is dead anyway if you don’t pay.

Interesting.