External 5.25" USB floppy drive?

Is there such a thing? How does one go about extracting legacy data from 5.25" floppies when one does not have an old computer?

Wow! Interesting question. I’m sure the interface must be IDE, isn’t it? Then it should work with any sort of USB to IDE convertor. Then find an internal drive and just plug it in (I don’t think you’ll have much luck finding an already-made external one).

EDIT. I think you’ll have to find an older-style cable (see below). I’m sure you’ll be able to find one somewhere, especially at the computer market.

The connector on the right is for the 5.25" floppy.

Now, if you need to connect it to a laptop, this will be a bit more difficult…

Floppies don’t use IDE.

If you can find a drive (no idea where) you could connect it to the floppy controller, I don’t remember those connectors being changed recently, but it’s been a while.
Won’t a 5.25" disk be all moldy now. Who’s really really old and remembers 8" floppies ?

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Floppies don’t use IDE.

If you can find a drive (no idea where) you could connect it to the floppy controller, I don’t remember those connectors being changed recently, but it’s been a while.
Won’t a 5.25" disk be all moldy now. Who’s really really old and remembers 8" floppies ?[/quote]

Not IDE? My mistake. What’s it called then?

EDIT: Just found this great link:
ask.metafilter.com/mefi/19449

[quote=“irishstu”]Not IDE? My mistake. What’s it called then?[/quote]I don’t think it has a name, it’s just called a floppy disk controller, it’s definately not IDE. IDE is newer. You would need that old style cable that Stu posted, 5.25" drives use the bigger connector on the right.

I have an external USB 3.5" floppy drive: just plug in the USB cable and Windows recognizes it as Drive A. I’d imagine a 5.25" external USB drive (if such a thing exists) would be similar.

I worked for a company that still used 8" floppies back in 1993. Even then I laughed when I first saw them!