External hard-drive knackered?

I turn it on and it just goes… meep…meep…meep… nothing else. Doesn’t show up on my desktop.

Should I junk it?

Probably. I’ll happily take a look if you like, as long as it’s not got some Apple system thing on it or something.

Could be the external box or something else, but chances are it’s the drive.

Erm, hold on. The meep meep meep is coming from your motherboard, right? And if you unplug the drive, the motherboard stops complaining? Is that right? Just wondering.

Nah, the drive itself is meeping.

Can you take it out of the box and stick it inside your computer?

And is it Linux, Mac, or Windows?

Can you take it out of the box and stick it inside your computer?[/quote]

Ain’t enough room inside the MacBook…

Eh? Well, most of the stuff was put on there with a Windows PC, and a few odds and sods with the Mac. But it meeps whether or not it’s hooked up to anything else.

Anything important on there?

My extensive stash of Kylie music videos?

No, nothing vital I can’t replace.

Make ? Model ? OS ? Disk make, model, size ? Enclosure make model ? etc…

I’ve never heard of hard disks beeping. Need more convincing…

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Make ? Model ? OS ? Disk make, model, size ? Enclosure make model ? etc…

I’ve never heard of hard disks beeping. Need more convincing…[/quote]

OK, OK. I’m running a 2GHz Intel MacBook with OS10.4.8. The disk is a 3.5" 160Gb Barracuda 7200.7 from Seagate. The case is a “T.C.Star” dual interface USB2.0 to IDE and USB2.0 to SATA.

And it does meep. Listen. :slight_smile: It does the same whether it’s plugged in to the Mac, or to the missus’ Windows machine.

He said it was meeping, not beeping. Meeping is the death rattle of electronica. I have had six separate devices with significant meepage, pre-death. Usually caused by dropping the device or getting it cold.

Sorry T, sounds like you killed it.

[quote=“Buttercup”]He said it was meeping, not beeping.[/quote]Don’t try to get technical with me laddie.

I’m still not sure if it’s the drive or the enclosure that’s meeping. What I would do is open it up and make sure the drive is plugged in nice and firm. The meeping might just be complaining about a loose connection.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Buttercup”]He said it was meeping, not beeping.[/quote]Don’t try to get technical with me laddie.

I’m still not sure if it’s the drive or the enclosure that’s meeping. What I would do is open it up and make sure the drive is plugged in nice and firm. The meeping might just be complaining about a loose connection.[/quote]

Good point, it’s probably the enclosure. I opened it up and checked all the connections, but it still meeps.

That kind of sound is usually because it is failing to move the read heads on startup. This can be due to a dead drive or due to insufficient power. You should try it out with a different power source before giving up on it.

Power, eh? I’ll try it, although the power cable with the drive has an unusual connector (6 pin), so I’m not sure where to find another to test it with.

Thanks.

Best bet is to put it inside a desktop system to see. Your power problem could be the power supply or something in the case’s controller board circuitry.

Best bet is to put it inside a desktop system to see. Your power problem could be the power supply or something in the case’s controller board circuitry.[/quote]

OK, I’ll do that. This is a desktop-free house, so it might be a while before I can report back. :slight_smile:

My external hard drive was meeping and malfunctioning until I changed the power supply from the strip outlet to a wall outlet. Now it works again.

Ah, I tried that already - no dice. Thanks for the suggestion though!

[quote=“Taffy”]I turn it on and it just goes… meep…meep…meep… nothing else. Doesn’t show up on my desktop.

Should I junk it?[/quote]

Are you sure that by mistake you haven’t tried to install Road-runner onto your computer?