Extra space on a laptop

Hi
Well, my laptop is fulllllll…and my friend told me that she had some extra space put into her laptop. Somewhere in Bade road. Is it legal to do this? If so, can I just take it to the Acer store there and ask for extra space?

I only have 40GB and it gets filled up…I do have an external HD, but would love to have more space.

Why wouldn’t it be legal?

I had 30 or 40 gigs, always ran short of room, and recently upgraded to 120 gb.
I went to the Apple shop on Bade. Cheap and quick.

how much did it cost you? I don’t know why I thought it would be illegal…maybe because they like keeping things the way it’s sold? If you can just add space nobody would buy newer bigger computers?

I don’t know…

You just made me splash some Montieth’s Gold on my keyboard, Battery9. Replacing a HD is certain NOT illegal. If it were, there’d be a lot of empty shelf space in Guanghua (Bade rd). Me, I replaced my internal HDD at apple not long ago (from 120GB to 360GB). Cost, forget to be honest but it was in the vicinity of 5K (but that included getting a 2.5 inch firewire/usb casing to keep my old 120GB internal as an external). I’m pretty sure there are now 500GB internals available for notebooks now.

hahahah ok ok ok okkkkkkkkkkk so I’m a little stupid when it comes to stuff like this. Hope your computer isn’t going to explode or something…:slight_smile:

I don’t want to replace it completely…just want to add on.

[quote=“Battery9”]hahahah ok ok ok okkkkkkkkkkk so I’m a little stupid when it comes to stuff like this. Hope your computer isn’t going to explode or something…:slight_smile:

I don’t want to replace it completely…just want to add on.[/quote]
If it’s a laptop there is no add-on for the internal harddisc (at least I don’t know any with more than one internal drive), you need to replace it - and that includes transferring or re-installing the operating system and all your software.

I think it would be easier for you just to get another external drive.

aaaaah now thats useful to know! Ok, going to do this tomorrow…thank youuu.

[quote=“Battery9”]Hi
Well, my laptop is fulllllll…and my friend told me that she had some extra space put into her laptop. Somewhere in Bade road. Is it legal to do this? If so, can I just take it to the Acer store there and ask for extra space?

I only have 40GB and it gets filled up…I do have an external HD, but would love to have more space.[/quote]

But dOn’t go to the Apple store on Bade for your Acer. Go to the other places… on that street but shop around, first. Some are more expensive than others. Also there is Nova by Taipei Main Station… poke around that building and you could probably find something. Or, scrap the f**kin’s thing and go Mac and never have to worry about crashing sunsets. lol

I echo bushibanned’s thoughts on going mac :slight_smile:. You have an acer, Battery, so certainly don’t go into the mac store. That said, if your acer only has a HD of 40GB, then a new HD installed is probably going to be 1/3 or even 1/2 the resale value of your notebook. If your notebook is a keeper though, forget that last sentence. Just food for though.

ohhh Mac Schmac…like I said…I like the 5minutes it takes for the windows to unfreeze and roll down over one another to go and make coffee…and the constant scratching and loud thinking process kindof comforts me…

or …translated…I can’t afford it and always look on the bright side of life…lalaaa lala lala lalaaaaaaaaaa

I think I paid NT$3,000, but it may have been less. I forget.

Look, what you do is tell a shop to upgrade the hard drive for you and ask them to transfer all the data on your old drive onto the new one, it’s not very hard and they most likely have the right gear for the job. I could do it, but it’s a bit more of a pain as I don’t have all the gear set up.
How much more space do you need? You can get a 160GB drive for about NT$2k and if you wanted to keep the old drive, then a USB enclosure for that would set you back another 500 or so, depending on fancy a thing you want.