Face shields

These keep popping up on my Facebook.

Just how beneficial are they?

Just a waste of money?

1 Like

A lady at my community wears the sneeze guard without a mask. It looks hilarious.

I think they’re a waste of money.

2 Likes

I think they’re recommended in conjunction with a mask. I believe that I remember reading preliminary research that they did a decent job of protecting the wearer but not anybody else…though if they were tinted, they could be cool.

Oh FFS no. Please.

These were mandated in Elbonia based on some dubious local research that nobody else had replicated. They are useful, as far as I can tell, if someone is literally sneezing in your face.

The medical basis was an observation that the virus may enter through any mucous membranes, eg., the eyes, but this idea seems to have been largely discredited. If it happens at all, it’s a fairly minor consideration.

2 Likes

Our results show that, in our experimental conditions, when the receiver alone wore a face shield, the amount of particles was significantly reduced compared to when the receiver alone wore a mask, even with small particle size emission (≤0.3µm). When the emitter wore a face shield or mask, it was more efficient than when only the receiver wore protection, with no difference between mask or face shield. In our conditions, the double protection allowed for even better results: 98% reduction for face shields and 97.3% for masks. Furthermore, face shields are durable, can be reused and are easy to clean. They prevent the wearer from touching their mouth, nose and especially eyes, a possible route for the transmission of SARS-CoV-2. The efficiency of the face shields also encourages the development of their use where no facial protection is possible (school canteens, bars…), through the integration of Plexiglas between users. Finally, the results of our experimental study suggest that face shield should be included as part of an expanded arsenal against SARS-CoV-2, as a possible face covering alternative for people (in priority children, disabilities or medical intolerant to masks), for situations where no facial protection is used (collective sporting or cultural practices without masks) or in addition to masks.

2 Likes

Yesterday, I saw a handful of eye shields and saw a guy get out of his car, don a mask and face shield and pull on plastic gloves (i.e. like the kind you would wear in food prep) in a residential neighborhood.

1 Like

I use the gloves when shopping, atms, etc. Toss them in the bin when done.

2 Likes

That makes sense.

This was a residential neighborhood and he was getting out of his car.

Does anyone know where to actually find them, either online or in shop? Not sure it’s a pharmacy type item or where to look for one.

I’d wear one for trips into the grocery store, in the hope they might provide some amount of protection to my eyes. Saw a few people with them when I was at Costco earlier. Probably not much better than glasses, but I only have reading glasses, and think glasses or even safety glasses will get constantly fogged up with a mask on.

You can buy them on Shopee etc.

1 Like

I have seen Safety Glasses at the following stores : 光南大批發 , 小北百貨 , Poya ,

I see them next to the table of the guy selling socks. Seems common all down Zhongxiao.

It will help prevent you touching your eyes with your fingers.

1 Like

Makes sense for some people. If you’re working in a high-risk environment, for example.

Otherwise, I’m not paranoid enough to don more safety gear when I leave the house.

2 Likes

I wonder if the people who wear these glasses or shields are the same people who don’t look left when turning right onto a busy street, or them heavy smokers…

2 Likes

I don’t get the connection…
:ponder:

1 Like

Perhaps I have seen too many people being careless and overly worried at the same time.

1 Like

A local FB group says they are for sale at the Red Apple store on Tienmu W. Road in Tienmu.

Teaching phonics with face masks has been impossible though. In that regard, I’m glad we are online now so masks aren’t needed.

2 Likes

All these things will find their way to the incinerator by year’s end. :fog::wind_face: