Family-friendly places to live and recreate around Taipei

I’m not sure whether to put this in the “Living in Taiwan” or “Real Estate and Housing” forums, so pls feel free to move this thread if appropriate.

My wife, 14 month old daughter, and myself will be relocating to Taipei next month. Having lived in Taipei before, I’m really leery of living in Taipei proper, with all the pollution that tends to collect there.

But I have fond memories of areas along the Danshui MRT line, especially the Shihlin, Zhishan, and Beitou stops. It seems like the air is cleaner and there’s a bit more green where we can take a toddler out for a walk. Also, the areas up Zhongshan N. Road from section 3 through section 7 (Tienmou, I guess) seem nice.

What is life like in those areas? What would renting or buying a place be like? Rare? Expensive? Inconvenient? Decrepit? Gangster-ridden? Are there equally nice or better areas I should be looking at?

I live on Hsintien mountain. It is pretty cheap to rent (20 000 for a house with 3 storeys) and the air up here is great. Best part is the MRT at the bottom of the hill, and Bitan just a stop away.

I recommend Lotus Hill. :slight_smile:

Just don’t move too close to the Beitou garbage incinerator if you want your air to be free of dioxin.

This afternoon was warm and sunny, and the Lotus Hill outdoor swimming pool has just reopened for the season, so we decided to spend some time pool-side. If there’s a nicer place to live, please tell me!

http://maoman.blogspot.com/2007/05/first-day-of-summer-at-lotus-hill.html

[quote=“Maoman”]This afternoon was warm and sunny, and the Lotus Hill outdoor swimming pool has just reopened for the season, so we decided to spend some time pool-side. If there’s a nicer place to live, please tell me!

http://maoman.blogspot.com/2007/05/first-day-of-summer-at-lotus-hill.html[/quote]

dammit, we should’ve moved to Lotus Hill…dammit

(I like “private” pools :slight_smile: )

My backyard:) Coolest part is that I the wall becomes lower so I can just climb over it and be in the pool. And the kiddie pool has a waterfall so it’s cool to fall asleep to. But the best part is that nobody every uses it…and that its open 24/7 all year round. ooooh yeahhh!!

Your place looks great. Where is it?

I live in Xindian (Hsintien, Hsindian whatever) on a mountain. It’s about 3 mins to get down the mountain and into the city where the Hsintien City MRT hall is. I pay NT$ 15 000 a month for a huge 1 bedroom apartment, with my own backyard. Other places in the building has 2 bedrooms, but is also NT$ 15 000. Around the corner you get rows and rows of houses (no pool though) that cost between 16000 to 20 000 for 3 bedrooms. My gf lives in a 3 storey house that has 4 bedrooms (1 very small though) for 20 000.

Street is called Hsin Po I Jie.

How big is your family? Haven’t you done enough recreating? Think of the chi… er, environment.

No houses with yards in your area battery 9?

No huge yards that goes all around the house. The houses are in rows…and have a little bit in the front…but ones on the sides have more space. The hill behind us have real homes though. With front and back yards. I will go for a drive there this afternoon and take pics of the area ok? It’s pretty cool.