Famous pet store bankrupts, all animals are given away

This is the problem of selling animals as goods. Place has 17 stores all over Taiwan.

is this a trend? the pet store culture of taiwan is something that quickly needs to die off.

2 Likes

The people in there are a bunch of scums. They will try to sell you animals that are hard to take care of and say it’s easy. Or sell you animals that are way to young.

2 Likes

What’s the problem? Could you summarize it for those who can’t read Chinese?

Well, basically this mega pet shop that sold animals by teh boatload went belly up, leaving employees and cats and dogs hanging…literally. Animal associations and common people are in shock as in many stores the animals just dissappeared from one day to another. Goods can be taken back to manufacturers, animals can´t.

holy shit, they hanged the unsold pets?

Well, they probably sold them to puppy mills or worse, but some of teh stores are trying to be responsible and give them away to people who want to raise them… Unfortunately, people here still buy pets that are unvaccinated and not fixed, so these people are giving away pets that are indeed unvaccinated and not desexed, with logical consequences.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they did do something like that to the smaller (read: less valuable) ones. Not easy to get rid of a truckload of, say, gerbils or turtles or rabbits, except via an unfortunate accident.

BTW, the animal associations got 40 plus rabbits on hand to give away. Seems someone was raising them and forgot they reproduced well, like rabbits…

1 Like

I agree with your statements about animals as merchandise. While I have not read the article, the first thing that comes to mind when reading the threat title is that some (many) of these animals are facing a sad fate. Some will be taken in only to be discarded again and end up in shelters (which are likely over capacity already) or worse. I don’t think this is the case only in Taiwan; I’d have the same reaction to such a case happening anywhere in Europe or the US.
:cry:

Yum yum, rabbit stew!

Oh Dear. :smirk: Reminds me of the Viz piece:

1 Like

They wouldn’t have any pot-bellied pigs by any chance, would they?

You are incorrigible,:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last time I checked, there were 7 or 8 pigs that were sold as tiny pot bellied piglets. Alas, they grew to over 100 kilos…

Not related but I thought I share

download