Famous singers that were not 'born' singers?

She said it on Merv Griffin or summin.

1 Like

Morrissey was a pretty dreadful singer at the start of his career with The Smiths:

His singing voice became more refined over the years, but thereā€™s something very special about the raw and unpolished early songs.

On that note, Morrisseyā€™s fellow Mancunian, Ian Curtis (from Joy Division), was also not a ā€œgoodā€ singer by any conventional standards but, as with Morrissey, it was that rawness combined with the introspective soulful lyrics that made him special:

2 Likes

This the cheapest. Some dudeā€™s backyard before the kegs arrived.

5 Likes

I think it depends on what you are talking about when you say ā€œa good singerā€.

Does the person hit the notes accurately and consistently? This to me is the hallmark of a good singer.

The rest is all personal taste in relation to the tonal quality of a personā€™s voice, which also can vary a lot by culture, personal taste, etcā€¦

For example, here is an interesting analysis of a professional singer/voice coachā€™s analysis of a Sound of Silence cover by Disturbed:

2 Likes

Leonard Cohen - brooding, poetic, evocative, but no singer (who cares? it about the effect, the emotion, not the technicality)

2 Likes

Heā€™s still a shit singer. Always has been.

Curtis is dreadfully flat. Actually, the first time I heard JD, I thought that someone was taking the piss. I was young then, and had just moved from Pink Floyd and reggae to more ā€œalternativeā€ music.

Speaking of awful Mancunian singers, add Shaun Ryder to the list.

All three of the above transcend their ineptitude with charisma. Same with Shane McGowan, Howard Devoto and John The Chop Lydon/Rotten.

3 Likes

Candy came from out on the Island
In the back room she was everybodyā€™s darling
But she never lost her head
Even when she was giving head

She says, ā€œHey, babe
Take a walk on the wild sideā€
Said, ā€œHey, babe
Take a walk on the wild sideā€

2 Likes

Shane MacGowan probably belongs on this list.

Mind you, for all I know he had a fantastic voice until the booze kicked in. Which was around, what, age 12?

1 Like

Younger.

MacGowan began drinking at age five, when his family gave him Guinness to help him sleep, and his father frequently took him to the local pub while he drank with his friends.

Although none of that was extremely unusual back in the day.

1 Like

Ha ā€¦ I just went down a rabbit hole to figure out what MacGowan had been up to lately (and partly to confirm heā€™s somehow still alive, but apparently has been stuck in a wheelchair for five years), and was about to post the same quote. I assumed you were joking when you had only written ā€œYoungerā€!

EDIT: I remain frigginā€™ bitter at my high school self for refusing a friendā€™s dumb suggestion that we go see some band Iā€™d never heard of before. The Pogues or something like that. Why the hell would I want to go see a contemporary band?! Nothing worthwhile had been recorded since 1980 or so, after all!

1 Like

I have a biography of his, he did have an unusual childhood and upbringing moving between very rural and ultra urban . His mother was a singer aswell. Extremely talented musician/songwriter. Itā€™s a bit of a tragedy he has ended up like he has but sure he has been pretty much constantly drunk and on and off drugs since the early 80s.

There was some quote of his from an interview, along the lines of ā€œI have no interest in being soberā€, that I had pinned up on my wall through a stretch of college. It seemed cool at the time. I feel differently now. Never have seen him live - saw the Pogues once with Joe Strummer singing, and another time with the regular line-up without MacGowan.

(Still bewildered, decades later, that MacGowan has long since outlived Strummer.)

Heā€™s like Keith Richards. Everyone marvels at how heā€™s still alive.

1 Like

Until you see him now and itā€™s very far from marvelous.
Iā€™ll post an Irish TV clip but it may make you feel sad.
I saw McGowan in Ireland in the 80s AT MY FIRST CONCERT EVER, he could barely stand during the set, came on late, and the crowd got so pissed off they started flinging objects including flagons full of piss at the stage and at each other .Different times!

(Those flagons sometimes didnā€™t have tops on them so as they sailed over your head you could see a fountain of urine gushing out :neutral_face:, whole sections of the crowd started lobbing them back and forth at each other- incoming!)

2 Likes

He is indeed decrepit. But he still made it to 63. And his teeth look WAY better than mine.

Only recently. Maybe they are false teeth.:grin:

100% false. Theyā€™re all implants.

1 Like

Yes, I was going to say Leonard Cohen.
When I was younger I didnā€™t get it. He just spoke over music. Iā€™ve come to appreciate him now, mostly his older stuff.

1 Like