Farm-sourced raw milk in Taiwan: Does it exist?

Is locally-produced milk, whether cow or goat, available in Taiwan? If so, where can it be purchased?

try organic stores, but they all sell pasteurized milk.

At the farm. I used to buy goat milk years ago from the farm, not cheap, 100 NT$/liter. They had this big milk cooler where they scooped it out. I made fresh curdled cheese of it.

3 Likes

I wonder where do milks come from in Taiwan? There’s gotta be cow farms where you can get raw milk from them, but by law milk sold has to be pasteurized. When I was living in a small town in Germany I was told that the local cow farmer will sell raw milk for something like 50 euro cents per liter.

I tried getting some at Chulu Ranch near Taitung a few years ago, but was told it wasn’t possible.

Probably liability. I mean they pasteurize milk so it isn’t full of germs.

Some years ago I went with my friend’s family to this place

2 Likes

Here in the States a local producer sells it somewhere between five and six US$ per gallon at the farm. Same product at the store goes for eight to ten-fifty.

Cheese making is the reason I asked. Just cut into this one today after three months affinage.

6 Likes

That’s more than he gets from the dairy companies. and what is pasteurizing? It’s heating up the milk to a specific temperature for a specific time.

Bottom line is if you want unpasteurized milk the only way is from a cow farm. Pasteurization isn’t just to kill germs, but also make it last long enough to make it to a store shelf. So no store is going to sell unpasteurized milk.

Ask the folks at Dida Creamery. I read they get it
Dida乳酪 Dida Creamery(迷你門市)(康拓洋行裡)
02 2254 2375

2 Likes

Looks like a very tall Brie wheel. From the coloration in the photo it doesn’t seem like this one aged long enough for the center to soften up. How did the taste turn out?

1 Like

It was a 1st attempt at Savoie styled tomme. Tastes nice, but not what I was shooting for. I doubled up on the acidifying cultures because they were beyond active date. Also, most likely added too much weight while pressing. There should be a nice amount of black mucor on the surface, but not so much. Try and try again. Regardless, everyone still loved it, or they were blowing smoke up my ass. :laughing:

This photo should give you some idea of what I was looking for.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor in a most excellent place. Thank you for your service, and I am happy that you have found Forumosa. A great resource with helpful and knowledgable travelers and expats, as well as some local Taiwanese who have a lot to contribute. Looking forward to see posts of your progress and experiences.
:beers:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words.

My family (more specifically my dad) were artisan cheesemakers up until mid-2022. Business had to close down due to the lack of replacement recording instruments for the cooking process. Knocked the business out of public sales that it wasn’t able to recover and we don’t have the capital or manpower to start it all over again.

Good on ya for the attempt though. Artisan cheese is - by definition - an art and every batch will be slightly different so don’t be too critical of yourself. If it tastes good then it is good.

3 Likes

Assuming the business was in the US, the gov places many hurdles and restrictions, so I can understand why your father had to close down OPs. Very sorry to hear that. I could not sell the cheeses I make due to the raw milk aspect and in the TDZ ripening. But a nice red wine made from the same cellar pairing it, good to go!

It was in the U.S. and the horror we went through just getting everything off the ground was a big deterrent in trying to restart again.

Cabernet or Merlot? Pinot Noir would work if the taste is mellow and rich, but I find that it clashes with the more acidic tasting cheeses.

I have a Bordeaux style blend from 2021, which the Merlot seems to be the dominant grape in the finished wine. Seems to pair well, but would like to do a revist on a yearly basis. Unfortunately, the wine may not be around for 5-10 years.

I discovered this cheese (tomme de savoie) when I lived in Taiwan eons ago at a gourmet shop, paired it with a good French Burgundy. Perfect match.

We’ll get there. Lot’s of patience.

1 Like

Wow prices have really gone up that much?

When I was living in Wisconsin just a few years ago, it was 3.50 (actually usually less) a gallon. 5-6ish for the expensive Amish stuff

1 Like

Remember this “cat milk” I found at the mia cbon at 101?

The carton says 100% raw milk. There are others like it, that doesn’t have cats on it. Has anyone tried them?

This link has more info about this product. It’s about 95 per carton.