Fast ones you've pulled on the locals

I’ve told my students such untruths as:

I once saved a woman from a shark
I am 13th in line to the throne
I didn’t eat or drink ANYTHING for 8 years

they always believe what I say, including the last one. 8 years!
all you have to do is keep a straight face and occasionally add
an extra detail

‘fortunately she wasn’t bleeding’
‘but I’ll probably never be king because I’m buddhist’
‘i get energy from the sun shining on the base of my neck’

Yeah, but it’s still much easier to “pull a swifty” on Americans than Taiwanese.

Stories about drop-bears, kangaroos in city streets, killer sharks/crocodiles/blue-ringed octopii/monster spiders/dingoes/emus/platypus (the list goes on) are eagerly consumed by gullible Americans. Also, it gives me a warm, glowing feeling to dupe someone who has just laid claim to his country being the centre of the universe and his culture being the only one that matters.

Oh look! Here comes a Seppo now, I’d better get busy with another story…

I told people Julia Roberts was my cousin and they really believed it.

sam vines,
yeah there are a lot of people in taiwan who think this is THEIR shangrila for some reason. i myself am gonna get to know every foreigner i can cause it’s a rich lot!! i feel richer than ever being on forumosa!!!

I have told local kids here that foreigners don’t fart, we just explode when we reach 50 years of age.

[quote=“The Big Babou”]Yeah, but it’s still much easier to “pull a swifty” on Americans than Taiwanese.

Stories about drop-bears, kangaroos in city streets, killer sharks/crocodiles/blue-ringed octopii/monster spiders/dingoes/emus/platypus (the list goes on) are eagerly consumed by gullible Americans. Also, it gives me a warm, glowing feeling to dupe someone who has just laid claim to his country being the centre of the universe and his culture being the only one that matters.

Oh look! Here comes a Seppo now, I’d better get busy with another story…[/quote]

Try this.

[quote=“The Big Babou”]Yeah, but it’s still much easier to “pull a swifty” on Americans than Taiwanese.

Oh look! Here comes a Seppo now, I’d better get busy with another story…[/quote]

lol believe me it’s nothing compared to what Hollywood pulls on the rest of the world.

Hey Folks -

I have a sure fire business deal that I would like to make available to those here who obviously have the …smarts to recognize a [i]WINNER[/i] when they see one!

I am raising $$$'s to finance an [color=green]Intra-Island Canal system here on the Green Paradise Island![/color]

Only 35,000,000 shares will be sold and they are [color=red]HOT![/color]

Don’t miss this deal! Financing is available for qualified investors so [b]Move NOW![/b] on this limited time opportunity!

I wasn

This didn’t happen here… but, I did it when I was in grade school. I first secretly put a piece of hard candy in my mouth and then sought out a group of 1st graders and told them that I could eat rocks. They screamed their disbelief and so I then placed a small pebble into one side of my mouth and then crushed the hard candy on the other side of my mouth… making sure to let the 1st graders hear the crunching sound of the hard candy. You should’ve seen the looks on their gullible faces!

[quote=“Durins Bane”]I have told local kids here that foreigners don’t fart, we just explode when we reach 50 years of age.[/quote]You be sure and give us some warning before your birthday eh? :astonished: :sick:

Well, the resemblance IS striking, you have to admit.

[quote=“Sam Vimes”]
If you’re the kind of pale, earnest, thin-skinned Shi-Da student I’ve met so often who’s arrogant about his own cultural insights and language skills and despises every other foreigner who treads foot in his private Shangri-La . . .

. . . why then, yes, please do stay away. We’d appreciate it.[/quote]

I’m a very tanned, lazy, thick-skinned (I suppose) college drop-out who only projects the arrogance of my cultural insights and language skills on Shi-Da students and foriegners who bark English at Taiwanese people expecting them to understand, and getting pissed off when they don’t. Which typically involves me apologizing to the person due to the fact that I feel guilty by association. (i.e.那個 外國人太不好, 外國人都不一樣)

If I’d have said anything, it would have been simply: 那個 人太過份… 真不懂事.