Fastest Scooter (Your bike's top speed)

I had my Majesty 125 souped-up to run a little faster. Each time I took it in for a service I’d get another part replaced, until, after about 18 months, there wasn’t much more I could do apart from upgrading my newly replaced parts. Used to be able to run it comfortably at around 115-125kph, although it’d scare the crap out of “the company” riding on the back.

One night I was flying along HsinHai Road at about 125kph, when, from outa nowhere, a policeman jumped from a bush(?) just ahead of me, waving his little glowing orange stick quite frantically in an effort to make me stop. Well, it scared the utter crap out of me, and I jammed on the brakes with a reflex action, coming to a stop about two metres past the rather nervous officer… fortunately he had enough common sense to jump out of the way while I went careening past.

My heart was racing at about as many revs as the bike had been half a minute earlier, when he approached me screaming something like “I can’t believe what you just did” in Chinese.

Realising the urgency of the situation, I calmed down pretty quickly, and, while removing my helmet, I turned to him and smiled (I was completely farked, so what else could I do?). After greeting him with a “hi, howzit goin?” he stopped, looked at me carefully before slowly gathering a smile in return. But, it quickly changed from one of those “ooooh, waiguoren…” smiles, to one a wry “mate, I know you know you’ve just farked up, and I know you know I can’t speak any bloody English, but if I catch you out then you’re buggered” kind of smiles.

He asked me a few simple questions in Chinese and I had to look pretty stupid while pretending to not understand anything, but I managed to reply with my worst possible accent “woe boo dang”. He scratched his head and paused for a moment, before mustering his best broken English to say, “ni… ah, you… qi tai fast… qi tai fast”, while at the same time offering his best Biaggio-motorbike-racer-driving-too-fast-gesture (hands frantically revving an invisible throttle). I tried my best to look even more stupid as he repeated the phrase while playing charades with me.

Eventually, I gave a surprised “Ooooooooh… you mean I drive too fast?”, while pointing at my bike. That seemed to excite him and I think he might have actually danced a little before repeating my phrase, “dui, you drive too fast”. So I gave him a nonplussed, friendly smile, and said to him, “ok… well I’ll drive slow”, adding the “thumbs up” sign for extra (“no worries, mate”) effect. He looked a little surprised, but then gave me another one of those “I know you know” kind of smiles before replying, “ok…”, and so I drove away at a much more respectable speed of about 95kph (well, I was entering a built-up area)…

Then there was a time when I was travelling along an old, straight road on the way to FuLong Beach. I was able to clock a little over 130kph, but that was pretty much flat out.

Each time I got the bike serviced, my mechanic would have a little laugh about one of the burnt-out parts he found in my bike. Then, about a month ago, I had a problem with the transmission. Took it in for a bit of a goosey-gander, and as the mechanic removed the engine plate, my partly molten clutch fell out, in about 25 pieces… Also, the piston’s in a bit of a bad state. At most, it’s got a year left in it, and that’s only if I can keep the speed down to legal limits and am prepared to put up with a bit of oil leakage and noise…

Sadly, it seems my hooning days are over. The Majesty is now referred to as “The Blue Whale”. I’m a slower driver, and definitely safer, too. Crime doesn’t pay, 'coz the replacement parts are way too expensive…

The Big Babou :?

Poagao, I did a search for those Venoxes. The engine specs look fine - double the torque and double the horsepower of my current bike, on a comfortable, stable frame.

What’s your best guess for how much they’ll go for second-hand by the end of the year?

PS I found an interesting road test on them;
iol.co.za/index.php?click_id … 1&set_id=4

The SPEED
The
THRILL

The
DANGER

Real men on scooters :unamused:

[quote=“joesax”]Poagao, I did a search for those Venoxes. The engine specs look fine - double the torque and double the horsepower of my current bike, on a comfortable, stable frame.

What’s your best guess for how much they’ll go for second-hand by the end of the year?

PS I found an interesting road test on them;
iol.co.za/index.php?click_id … 1&set_id=4[/quote]

Yeah, I saw that review. Most of the reviews have been positive. I rode this one http://www.poagao.org/venoxred.jpg around our parking lot last year but wasn’t able to take it out on the road. They started selling for NT$180,000; hopefully Kymco has realized the folly of selling a bike that’s made in Gaoxiong for more here in Taiwan than anywhere else in the world (check out the prices in France and the US; they’re sold much, much cheaper because Kymco feels they can pull the wool over Taiwanese people’s eyes). I don’t know what list price is now, but I would hope to be able to get a 1-2 year-old model for 80k or thereabouts. I would need to be living somewhere where I had a place to park it, though, as well as enough money to buy one in the first place, neither of which I have at the moment.

[quote=“fredericka bimmel”]The SPEED
The
THRILL

The
DANGER

Real men on scooters :unamused:[/quote]

My personal experience (mountain bike not scooter) has been

The SPEED
The
SPILL

The
PAIN

I have considered getting a scooter as this would open up a whole new avenue of sports injury. ( I assume scooter riding is classified as a sport here in Taiwan based on other posts I have seen on scooter experiences)

[quote=“Toe Save”]Try this…TaiDa (Roosevelt and Hsin Hsheng (Xinsheng) Nan Lu) to deep Zhong Ho (Zhonghe)…Friday night at 7:00 PM…on my custom-built mountain bike…

9 minutes :sunglasses: [/quote]

How about…Tai Da (Keelung and Tun Hua) to Tien Mou(Chungshan near Mary’s Hamburger) Saturday Night at 5:30pm, bad traffic

26 minutes…on my one speed Trek Vert BMX bike

thats about the same time i’d get riding the Ego along the same route

-mungz

A new Hornet 250 will be aroung NT$280,000. If you are serious about getting one I know a place.

Yes, I’m afraid my eyes are bigger than my wallet right now. I’d have to wait 'til Venoxes start being resold, and even then I’d have to save for a while.

Parking is also a worry. Call me old-fashioned, but I don’t see why decent bikes have to be either cruisers or race replicas these days. It makes them a thief magnet and I actually prefer the look and riding position of a straightforward, no nonsense bike bike, like the SR150 or if you want something a bit snazzier (though slower) those Sanyang 125 retro-style bikes. Of bigger bikes, there used to be loads - Honda CBX500 is a case in mind.

A number of people have said that my bike looks like an old man’s bike. I don’t often clean it either, partly because I’m lazy and also because it makes less likely to be stolen. I don’t care about the looks; I only care about the thrill and the speed (to some extent); and the fresh air, the mountain scenery, the feel of banking round the corners and the convenience and flexibility (a lot). I would rather not have the danger.

Fredericka, if you’re ever in Taichung, you’re welcome for a ride on my rather slow but comfortable motorcycle anytime :wink:

The Big B:

nonplus
tr.v.
To put at a loss as to what to think, say, or do; bewilder.
n.
A state of perplexity, confusion, or bewilderment.

The nonplussed police think you wanted the word ‘nonchalant’:
nonchalant
adj.
Seeming to be coolly unconcerned or indifferent.

I am nonplussed why women lust after men on bikes. Real men don’t ride bikes, real men walk, or take the MRT, but most often, they hail taxis.

Who needs speed, thrills, and danger, when you have AC?

The AC is pretty fearsome at 100kph… :shock:

I had my Majesty 250 at 145 over the Minquan bridge from Neihu to Taipei yesterday. It was completely stable - no vibrations or wiggle at all, but even though the engine took me to 145 pretty willingly, it would not budge past that. So it looks like I’ve found my top speed… :slight_smile:

Are there many 250 motorbikes (not scooters) available in Taipei now? How about Japanese imports? What are the prices like? I haven’t seen too many 250s in Taichung yet, although I may not have been looking in the right places.

My bike will be due for an engine rebuild in a few months. It’s probably worth doing because the other components are still pretty good, but another possibility is to sell it off cheaply and put the cash towards a 250.

i have this really old kymco scoot, i had to up to 80kph going down a hill… but i think i broke it as it never stops smoking now :unamused:

Now I’ve got a 1996 SYM Jet 100cc, goes really nice too. I haven’t tested it’s top speed, but it easily cruises at 60kph, so I’m happy.

pic of my new scoot :slight_smile:
dodstudios.net/uploads/uploa … ooter1.jpg
dodstudios.net/uploads/uploa … ooter2.jpg

tell me if you’ve seen me, I’m the one usually giving the finger to everybody :smiling_imp:

Da Bian: I thought your scooter’s top speed is as fast as you can push it until you pass the test ? :laughing: Sorry, I’m being mean :frowning:

LOL you’re a strange one :wink:

i’m going for my scoot license tomorrow! :mrgreen: anyone wanna come shout ‘go go da bian go go da bian’ while i’m there?? heh heh :laughing:

Can I come and shout “Stop Stop Da bian Stop !” just before you crash ?

How are you getting there? :wink:

That’s what I love about the test. Everyone rides up on their bikes.

Brian

Da_Bian (refering to your pix)
Yo! Dem der’s da shit, bro! You be scootin’ in style.

All,
Only made it to 98kph or so through the suidao. Wimpy. But there was that one brazen move after 4am heading home on JianGuo Highway. “Honest ocifer, I was being followed! Where did they go?”

[quote=“Quirky”]Da_Bian (refering to your pix)
Yo! Dem der’s da shit, bro! You be scootin’ in style.[/quote]

you’re extra strange, i’m afraid i’ll need translation on that one :? :wink: