Fastest Scooter (Your bike's top speed)

I was just wondering…what bike do you drive and what is the fastest you have gone and where was it? Details?

I took my old Vespa 150cc up over 100kph on the coast road by the Dog Temple.

Life is hard, then you die.

I used to get my 135cc 1988 Yamaha RZR http://www.poagao.org/gendoyun.jpg up to 140 on Da-du Road back before they made it less race-a-riffic. The engine had more in it and I could have probaby gotten it up past 150, but the body’s too light and was starting to shake in a rather alarming, floaty fashion.

On a side note, the old railway crossings where Civic Blvd now runs were great for getting airborn at high speeds.

My Yamaha Dragfire 150 has hit 140 (on the coast road to Fulong) with a little to spare, but I had to leave it wound up all the way for quite some time. Still handled quite well though, as its big and heavy (for a mini-bike).

For cruising, it’ll sit quite happily at 100-120. Extra-long wheelbase makes it very stable, can even steer it one-handed.

I clocked just over 50mph (80kph) on the drop off Hehuanshan on my hardtail Heavy Tools mountain bike. Do I win?

80 on the road down Hehuanshan? Word of advice, Salmon. Next time, try pedalling. That way you might achieve a respectable top speed.

Anyway, our own Timogan should at least get a special mention for hitting 60 on the road to Fushan village – on his rollerblades! :shock: :shock:

din say nuffin bout no road :sunglasses: (well, okay… but them’s some tight hairpins)

I don’t know how fast he was but I saw a guy taking a 15m slide on his back after hitting a car. With bits of skin on the road as he was riding almost naked.
Yummy… :?

I think that deserve a special award

My Majesty 250 cruises nicely at 130, but I haven’t had a lot of opportunity to get it going faster than that. It’s a solid, heavy bike that steers nicely with one hand, so that’s nice. The double discs make stopping easier too. Acceleration is ok (better than most other scooters out there), but still nothing to write home about.

I still tremble when I think of my Yamaha RZR 135cc bike that I had six years ago. I hopped it up with custom suspension, new engine from Japan, flash paint job, etc. After I was totally finished with it (60k later), it was wicked fast. Unfortunately, it was so light that I felt out of control whenever I was exercising it. I sold it to another foreigner who wiped out within the space of two weeks, breaking his arm. I figure he got off lightly.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]I was just wondering…what bike do you drive and what is the fastest you have gone and where was it? Details?

I took my old Vespa 150cc up over 100kph on the coast road by the Dog Temple.
[/quote]

Anyway Wolf, you should be coddling that bike of yours by now – you’ll be hard-pressed to find as cool a replacement for it these days.

My current scooter goes about 80-90kph. I once got my first bike, a Honda Grand King up to 140kph when it locked up on me. I skidded about 50ft, and I think I pissed myself as well. Anybody break 140?

I suppose I could – there’s another Dragfire I encounter quite often in the Sinden whose exhaust I suck on regularly and who pops wheelies away from the lights (surely not possible on my machine!). I’ve been meaning to ask him where he got his bike tricked out, but really, what’s the point? Screw redlining for a top speed of under 160 – give me something that’ll let me cruise at 130 at 3,500 revs and I’d be much happier.

I got 140 out of my Mountain bike on the flat last week without even
drawing a deep breath.
The speed came down fairly dramatically when I took it off the bike rack
on my car.

A GIANT mountain bike.

How fast have I gone? As fast as I can pedal, and a little bit faster down a big hill :laughing:

[quote=“Scuba”]I got 140 out of my Mountain bike on the flat last week without even
drawing a deep breath.
The speed came down fairly dramatically when I took it off the bike rack
on my car.[/quote]

:laughing:

I used to ski train for aerodynamics by getting strapped on top of a speeding car in a racing suit at a disused airbase. Pretty damn fun, but scary as hell if the driver would brake too hard! (I used to be far stupider than I am now).

unmodified Kymco 250cc Ego(not the dink) around 130-135 on flatland in the city…pretty heavy for a scooter…

accel from 0-50kph is okay…
50-110 is fairly quick…
110-130 is not so fast…takes several seconds…

unfortunately i took a spill the other day and the bike ain’t running so beautifully…took it back to the shop to get the insides looked at and the outer shell replaced…my bad :blush:

can only dream that it’ll ever run as nicely as it did…

wondering how it would run against the majesty 250 or the new suzuki xxxxwavexxxx 250 scooter…

offtopic:
anyone know where i could buy a new Honda Hornet 250 in taipei? and hopefully where might one go to get a hornet fixed/serviced?

-mungz

Corner of Jilong Rd and Roosevelt, across Roosevelt from the cinema. Its a rental place, AFAIK, but they have a nice new shiny blue Hornet 250.

My plain old 150CC scooter:
90 easily
100 with a god run
110 under optimal copnditions

What I like is that it accelerates to 80 or 90 very fast, is still perfectly smooth at top speeds and doesn’t slow down too much for uphills.

Brian

Try this…TaiDa (Roosevelt and Hsin Hsheng Nan Lu) to deep Zhong Ho…Friday night at 7:00 PM…on my custom-built mountain bike…

9 minutes :sunglasses:

Of course the bike was stolen whilst double-locked in front of RT Mart/Conforama for 20 minutes…that was really fast… :imp: :x :imp: :x :x :x :x :x :x

Yamaha SR150s only do about 100 tops, but they have bucketloads of torque. It makes little difference whether you have a pillion. Front drum’s pretty strong although a disc would be better. I’ve been quoted 10,000 NT to put a disc brake on the front though, so it can wait for now.
As I get out in the hills most weekends this engine characteristic is more useful than a revvy unit with more horsepower. The engine will probably last a lot longer as well.
Having said that, I tried one of those Yamaha 135 two-strokes and it was a lot of fun. Does anyone know if they still sell them new? They smoke a lot, being big-ish two-strokes, so if they’re not illegal now, they will be soon. Plus if you buy a used one, it’s probably been thrashed - the two that I’ve seen were.

I believe you can buy new Honda NSR’s, which are 150cc two-stroke racing bikes and even faster than mine. Same basic set-up, except a monoshock rear suspension and more disc brakes. Probably the power equivalent of a 300-350cc four-stroke engine, but smoky and loud. They’re light as well, so I imagine they get quite floaty above 140kph as well, but the one I drove seemed pretty comfortable. To tell the truth I’d rather get one of those 250cc Kymco Venoxes used, as I don’t tend to do as much racing about as I did in my younger days.