Favorite bands imitating other favorite bands

I’m not gonna include bands whose whole schitck is imitating their betters, y’know the whole Blur (Kinks) / Jamaroqai (Stevie Wonder) thing…just classic bands “doing” other classic bands for fun.

The Byrds do CCR - “Lover of the Bayou”
The Byrds do Dylan…ummm, about half of their songs, but they’re bloody marvelous at it!
The Stones do the Kinks - “Mother’s Little Helper”
The Stones do the Hollies - “Dandelion”
The Stones do the Beatles - “We Love You”
The Stones do the Flying Burrito Bros. - “Wild Horses”
The Beatles do the Beach Boys - “Back in the USSR”
The Beatles do the Kinks - “I’m Only Sleeping”
The Beatles do the Who - “Helter Skelter”
Neil Young does the Beatles - “Broken Arrow”
The Beach Boys do the Beatles - “Girl Don’t Tell Me”
The Who do the Kinks - “I Can’t Explain”…and about half of their other songs, but like I said about the Byrds/Dylan…
The Beatles do everybody else - The White Album
Radiohead do U2 - Pablo Honey
The Clash do Dylan - “Groovy Times”

Aw hell, I can probably think of a zillion other examples…

Jeff Buckley doing Leonard Cohen
R.E.M. doing The Byrds
Pearl Jam doing Neil Young
Led Zeppelin doing Robert Johnson
The Black Keys doing The Beatles & The Kinks

Every modern band with an edge doing their best to replicate The Pixies

Who sang “Long Cool Woman in a Long Black Dress”? It’s not CCR, but it sounds exactly like CCR.

I think The Hollies?

I always thought Radiohead did Echo and The Bunnymen meeting Straitjacket fits on their first two albums.
U2 doing Lou Reed ‘New York’.
Red House Painters doing The Go-Betweens on Red House Painters 2.
Red House Painters doing The Smiths on Down Colorful Hill.
The Cult doing AC/DC ‘Wild Flower’.
The Mission(UK) doing U2 on their Carved in Sand album.
Nirvana doing Killing Joke on ‘Come as You Are’(Weird, how that one panned out).
Queensryche doing Pink Floyd (Silent Lucidity).
Nick Cave and Tom Waits seem to crossover a lot.

I’m sure I’ll think of more in a few days.

Y’all should download and listen to Coverville, the podcast show that specializes in classy cover versions.

WTF? Really? One of my favourite songs of all time was written by one of my favourite bands? And I never even knew. Christ, I’m even acquainted with John Bleland who plays for them now.
Learn something new every day!

Stevie Ray Vaughn doing Hendrix (Little Wing, Voodoo Chile, Sky is Crying)

Nick Cave doing Neil Young (Helpless)

Nick Cave and Shaun MacGowan doing Louis Armstrong(What a wonderful world)-This one was a bit disappointing because I expected them taking the song in a completely different direction but they seemed to sing it like the original.

Oh.

Yeah.

That’s some GOOD SHIT! :bravo:

This thread is supposed be about bands’ imitation of other bands and rather than covers!! Think Oasis ‘doing’ The Beatles.

The best cover songs thread is below.

[Best Cover Version?

I heard something new on the radio a little while ago that sounded very, very reminiscent of the Kinks Village Green Preservation Society.

Any idea what it was? :s

The Kinks are easily one of the most important and influential UK bands of the sixties and seventies. You can make out their rifts or melodies in so many tracks of the eighties, nineties, and noughties. Damon Albarn did an outstanding duet with Ray Davies on TV’s The White Room, performing a flawless and impressive rendition of Waterloo Sunset.

Saw the Kinks live back home a few years back and they still rock. Met Ray Davies, too. Awfully decent chap.