Favorites icon for Safari Start Page

Thanks for looking into it, but it’s still not working. I think I know why.

Your HTML code looks correct and the image URL works fine, but it seems you might have typed the HTML code into the wrong place. It should go in a new line immediately above the closing < /head > tag. It looks like you currently have it somewhere after the < body > tag. See screenshot below.

Everything I highlighted in blue in the screenshot should be moved up to where the red arrow is pointing, in a new line between the < /script > and < /head >

If you don’t see that part in the code where the red arrow is pointing to, it’s entirely possible you don’t have access to anything within the < head > tags since you’re using a graphical HTML code injector interface. It might be something that needs to be done within the raw home.html file (or whatever it’s named).

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m doing, in short. I tried another promising option though, take a look.

1 Like

I take it that worked? Does the logo look good?

It worked! Thanks! Now would you mind doing the same across all the other themes? :grinning:

1 Like

Done

3 Likes

ChatGPT is getting pretty nuts. That was an obscure request

3 Likes

Ok, so it worked on my MacBook and iPad, but not on my iPhone for some reason. Maybe I just have to wait…

If anyone else has Apple devices, feel free to check if the logo is now there.

@lostinasia @mad_masala

1 Like

Try it now in Classic.

On both iPad and iPhone: no change. The tab-favicon is the stylized F. But I still see the dull default F on the start screen for a new window. I’ve tried quitting and restarting Safari, no change. I haven’t tried turning the iPad off and on.

Ok, I removed the favorites, changed it back to classic theme, re-added the website as a favorite, and now the stylized icon re-appeared in my iPad and MacBook, but still not on my iPhone.

I will continue to consult with ChatGPT.

1 Like

Hw about Google or their support forum?

ChatGPT has been the most helpful thus far. The issue is too obscure and specific for a Google search to yield any insights of value.

What device(s) and browser(s) are the stubborn ones?

Safari on iPhones.

Looking into it. In the meantime, can you try the following?

To delete Safari’s icon cache using the Finder, open your user folder, navigate to ~/Library/Safari/ and move this file "webpageIcons.db to the Trash.

Have you guys tried that?

EDIT:
I see that apparently you guys used a link tag instead of a meta tag. It would be worth trying.

This only applies to Safari on computers.

I was wondering if it would be possible to clear the cache in iOS too. There should be some way…?

Thanks. I thought this might have been the issue, but upon looking more into it, it seems sizes no longer need to be specifically defined.

Ever since the iPhone X came out, there has been numerous different icon sizes for different iPhone models because of all the diverse screen sizes, so Apple now recommends one large icon that can be scaled down automatically and applied to all smaller devices.

But loking at the screenshot posted above it seems you’re using a link tag instead of a meta tag. That might be the explanation.

No, I haven’t even inspected the code yet.