Favourite Chinese character?

And there comes Fengxu, going shishu again…

2 Likes

I’ll be darned, they have a character for just about everything :grin:

1 Like

醁醽今夕酒,緗帙去時書

Tonight (dear brother) we drink fine wine,
But tomorrow I must pack my books in yellow cloth and bugger off…

2 Likes

I’m scared… does google actually know what 𠀃 looks like, so it gives me a bunch of ads that looks like 𠀃 ?

Or does google actually know that 𠀃 means air purifier in ancient China?

I haven’t been looking for air purifiers or talking about air purifiers, so it’s probably not from my search results.

One of the meanings of 凸 is convex although the drawing is a non-convex polygon -_-

That’s because it is easier to carve polygons into animal bones. However, both 凸 and 凹 are pretty good representations.

Wait… maybe there’s a complete set of Tetris pieces…

罒田凸𠃑𠃊𠃎

2 Likes

黑 Looks like a ‘black’ spider

1 Like

Despite how some later interpretations claiming 黑 is a window turning black due to smoke from fires, the earliest version of the character clearly shows a person with a line across his face. So 黑 actually means tattoos. So originally it was pretty much the same meaning as 黥, which uses facial tattoo to mark a person for life as a form of punishment. 墨 originally likely also meant the ink used to tattoo a criminal’s face.

4 Likes

His crime? Being a butthead.

4 Likes

1 Like

I like 洪 because it’s my mom’s Korean last name and because I think it looks good when handwritten. I also like 漢 because it formed a part of my Chinese name given to me by my Mandarin teacher (洪漢璋), which I don’t use anymore, and also because I really like writing this character out.

凸 for obvious reasons

Fred Fu Manchu, bamboo saxophonist.

It’s amazing how seemingly slight errors in the composition of the radicals when added together can get you from ‘two pints of larger and a packet of crisps’ all the way to ‘five bathtub fulls of linglu and a deep fat fried baleen whale’ and that’s before you even consider the tones

1 Like