Favourite Chinese character?

What are people’s favourite Chinese characters?

I’m busy writing a lot right now, so I got to thinking about this, then I wandered past a red poster with
that crazy made-up character on it.
The one that is a combination of [i]jin /i and bao (treasure)
and has a few other wealth-related characters thrown in for good measure.
Seems to be quintessentially Taiwanese.

But I guess what peoples’ favourites are would depend a lot on what stage they are at.
Like if you’re just beginning you might like one that’s easy to remember,
or you might like one that has got a story to go with it,
like xiu (rest) - which Chinese say is “a man leaning against a tree”.

This? papahuhu.com/images/other/01 … jinbao.png

I like 囧

休 is a good one

i always thought the more graphical characters are interesting… like 東 or 旦 or 嬲 or 嫐…

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]This? papahuhu.com/images/other/01 … jinbao.png

I like 囧[/quote]

That’s the blighter.
Tough one for the calligraphy practice.

Another one I like is the ru (enter) above a rou (meat), which is in Hong Lou Meng but rather rude,
and not in my dictionary so I dont know how to say this one either,
but its not too hard to guess at the meaning from the context.

[quote=“anotherlaowai”]

Another one I like is the ru (enter) above a rou (meat), which is in Hong Lou Meng but rather rude,
and not in my dictionary so I don’t know how to say this one either,
but its not too hard to guess at the meaning from the context.[/quote]

肏 cào

often replaced by 操 cào in daily writing

[quote=“hansioux”]休 is a good one

I always thought the more graphical characters are interesting… like 東 or 旦 or 嬲 or 嫐…[/quote]
Nice choices. I had to look up the last two!

This is probably a common choice, but my favorite character of the moment is 忍 (endure), and also 刃 (blade). Very 傳神, as a Taiwanese person might say.

My least favorites are the ones that are nearly impossible to write. 亞 and 惡 are tough enough, but 繩, 蠅, 釁, 龜, and 鬮 are just nasty. If you can read (or, crazier still, write) all of those without a dictionary, you get a gold star.

(I bet a lot of people have had to magnify their browser’s font size on this thread.:laughing:)

1 Like

[quote=“haokaiyang”][quote=“hansioux”]休 is a good one

I always thought the more graphical characters are interesting… like 東 or 旦 or 嬲 or 嫐…[/quote]
Nice choices. I had to look up the last two!

This is probably a common choice, but my favorite character of the moment is 忍 (endure), and also 刃 (blade). Very 傳神, as a Taiwanese person might say.

My least favorites are the ones that are nearly impossible to write. 亞 and 惡 are tough enough, but 繩, 蠅, 釁, 龜, and 鬮 are just nasty. If you can read (or, crazier still, write) all of those without a dictionary, you get a gold star.

(I bet a lot of people have had to magnify their browser’s font size on this thread.:laughing:)[/quote]

a character i always have trouble with (and i went through 7th grade in Taiwan before moving abroad) is 羲, or characters based on it 犧曦. I can never remember the bottom part of it…

My favorites change as I learn more Chinese, but for now I like 鼎 ding3. It looks like the cauldron that it represents.

The character ,
larger version
, pronounced biang2, is not in any dictionaries (hence the image file), but it seems to be found on signs in China. Here’s an article about biang biang noodles.

My favorite Chinese character is Chun-Li from Street Fighter.

1 Like

I was thinking that guy Charles who used to hang out at Mad Dog’s in Tsimshatsui in Honkers, back in the late 80s-early 90s.
The guy with the Davy Jones haircut who always wore a pinstripe suit and bigass bowtie and was constantly honking on a huge ass stogie.

He was a real character.

I always liked Hop Sing.

just came across this one, and immediately thought about this thread…

I like 母 because it’s a drawing of a pair of tits.

2 Likes

indeed… then wouldn’t it be even better when you add another girl facing the pair? i.e. 姆

EDIT: like to throw in a few others… 呣 拇

San Te (Liu Chia Hui aka Gordon Liu) in “The 36th Chamber of Shaolin”

San Te claus is coming to town… to kick your ass

Come on,

is a very cute character, no? My favorite one actually since I first saw it on the highway, pointing to Gueishan near Linkou. It really looks like a little turtle… maybe even more so in the old seal script version:

And that is also one character that was really mutilated in simplified Chinese:

The turtle head (no pun intended!) looks very fishy now:

:laughing:

Sorry ladies, but my favorite Chinese character is the simple, graceful and meaningful 安 ān. “Peace” & “quiet” when the lady of the house is actually IN the house (have they got this back-to-front???)… “Safest” when the womenfolk are within, rather than beyond, domestic bounds… Interpretations could be seen as sexist… which is perhaps why I like this particular character, hehe…

The above reference says: “Inside the house there is a bowing woman… ‘A woman stays inside the house’ has long been considered the condition of peace…”!!! (Illustration and reference at chinesehour.com which I found via my post with over 20 free online resources for the study of Chinese Radicals - Etymology, Origins and the Evolution of the Basic Components of Chinese Characters.)

2 Likes

[quote=“the chief”]I was thinking that guy Charles who used to hang out at Mad Dog’s in Tsimshatsui in Honkers, back in the late 80s-early 90s.
The guy with the Davy Jones haircut who always wore a pinstripe suit and bigass bowtie and was constantly honking on a huge ass stogie.

He was a real character.[/quote]

That’d be “Roger”, Chief.

[quote=“Longfellow”][quote=“the chief”]I was thinking that guy Charles who used to hang out at Mad Dog’s in Tsimshatsui in Honkers, back in the late 80s-early 90s.

He was a real character.[/quote]

That’d be “Roger”, Chief.[/quote]

Yeah, Roger, what did I say?

OK, roger that, LF.

(see what I did there? :roflmao: )