Favourite film of the 00s so far?

What’s your favourite post 2000 movie (as of Aug 2008)?

• Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  • The Dark Knight
  • City of God
  • Memento
  • Amelie
  • The Lives of Others
  • The Departed
  • The Pianist
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Pan’s Labyrinth
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Downfall
  • No Country for Old Men
  • There Will Be Blood
  • Donnie Darko
  • Gladiator
  • Kill Bill
  • Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
  • Million Dollar Baby
  • Mulholland Drive
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
  • Lost in Translation
  • Spirited Away
  • Crash
  • In the Mood for Love
  • Yi Yi
  • Traffic
  • Dancer in the Dark
  • Oldboy
  • Brokeback Mountain
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?

0 voters

Well, we’re not finished yet, but what’s your favourite film from the 2000s? Personally, I think the 90s was better, but maybe that’s partly my isolation since moving to Taiwan. I don’t think the current number one rated film of all time on IMDB is even a good film.

I’m voting for City of God, The Lives of Others, Lost in Translation, Yi Yi and In the Mood For Love. But Eternal Sunshine and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon have to come in close. Oh and maybe Zoolander.

I’m interested to hear what others think are the great films of this decade. My greatest recent discovery of a film which seems to have had little fanfare is ‘The Lives of Others’ which I strongly recommend.

Brian

As a Tibet junkie, I’d have to name “Samsara.”

After looking over Wikipedia’s list, I am amazed by how much crap has come out–and how much of it I’ve watched.

Of the bigger-ticket items like the Lord of the Rings movies, “Gladiator,” and “Crouching Tiger…” I think they’re okay, but not great-great. I do think “Brokeback Mountain” is great, period. (Ang Lee got burned at Oscar time, when the Academy decided racism was a more pressing social problem than homophobia.) I thought Mel Gibson’s Jesus movie was mediocre-to-bad for all kinds of reasons, though I remember liking the guy who plays Pontius Pilatus.

Some great cartoons: “Persepolis”, “The Incredibles”, “A Scanner Darkly” (well, rotoscope)–which is one of the great sci-fi films of all time, IMHO

Comedies: “Death to Smoochie”, “Little Miss Sunshine.” I also liked “Shaolin Soccer.” “Kill Bill” isn’t exactly a comedy, but I liked it too. I hear “Bubba Hotep” and “Idiocracy” are good but haven’t seen them yet. Same for “Freddie Got Fingered,” which sounds like the sort of thing I’d enjoy. Oh yeah! “Team America: World Police”! Love it.

The new “Pride and Prejudice” was quite good. (Not to be confused with “Bride and Prejudice,” the Bollywood version.) And put me down as a fan of M. Night Shyamalan’s “The Village” (and to a lesser extent, “Signs”). I agree that “Lost In Translation” is a worthy film. (Bill Murray was also great in another serious role, in “The Razor’s Edge” a couple decades ago.)

Let’s see…“Ararat” (about the Armenian holocaust)–great. “Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall, and Spring” (about Korean Buddhist monks)–also great. “Hedwig and the Angry Inch”–interesting. “Whale Rider”–well made, if a bit overboard on the PC-piety.

Turning to the bottom of the barrel, “Battlefield Earth”–immortal. “Pearl Harbor”–the South Park guys called it in “Team America”. “Catwoman”–ensured that the next Batman villainess will be Talia al-Ghul. “Star Trek: Nemesis” broke the even/odd curse, and forced Paramount to reboot the whole thing. Haven’t seen “Gigli” yet, but people say it’s one for the ages.

Where was Rambo and the Rocky 8 or whatever the last Rocky movie was called? Surely there have been better movies than the ones on your list? Is Cinema truly dead? :fume:

LOTR definitely. The Harry Potters ones were okay.

Batman Begins & The Dark Knight, both equally good IMHO

City of God definitely and also Whale Rider. The Man Who Wasn’t There I found really enjoyable too, I’m surprised it isn’t mentioned more often. I was also surprised by Pirates of the Caribbean, I now consider this to be the greatest pirate movie ever. I can’t mention a single animated film because I’m a big animation fan and I feel those films need their own topic, but I’m too lazy to make one right now.

Besides Johnny Depp, the first “Pirates” had the advantage of a really good script. (Very witty in the characters’ banter.) The CGI was just kind of blah, but the rest of it came together. The sequels suffered the same problem as the Matrix, though.

P.S. Thought of another worthy mention: Woody Allen’s “Match Point.”