Fawlty Towers

Till Death do us Part

1 Like

Just sit him down in a recliner and whisper “Trump” in his ear. :sweat_smile:

The great irony of All in the Family is that a blue-collar bigot living in Queens in that era would surely have been a Democrat, not a Republican.

1 Like

The Yes PM episode regarding the new chain-smoking Health Minister could have been redone for COVID without too much effort.

1 Like

Thatcher loved the show because it was so spot on.

1 Like

It’s too late. I’ve now stored the Greek fact.

Comedians talk about their lives. It either resonates or it doesn’t. I find young comedians terribly unfunny, as they talk endlessly about their sexuality and their politics. “Hi, My name is Jo and I’m a pansexual liberal.” Fuck off, Jo.

Alexei Sayle’s Imaginary Sandwich bar. Henry Paker in Three Bean Salad. ANYTHING Mike Wozniak does (including TBS) Rob Newman’s Half Full Philosophy hour. Mike Bubbins. Steven Speirs. Joe Wilkinson. David Mitchell. The physical comedy of Mark Heap. Katherine Parkinson. All incredibly funny middle aged comedians. Check them out, if you haven’t heard of them.

Here’s a comment about America, just to be inclusive. Dave Chapelle.

2 Likes

I’ve never found Alexei Sayle to be remotely amusing. My daughter agrees. She considers him weaker than Mike in the Young Ones, and it can’t be argued that he’s even the straight guy.

I didn’t like him for a long time either. You should check him out now though. He has finally hit his stride.

1 Like

I’ve given him 5 minutes so far. I’m impressed! Cheers, sir.

1 Like

He has really found his voice.

That’s what friends are for. :hugs:

1 Like

They’ve just repeated the series again a few weeks ago. I watched them all again, though, I already know every word. I think the Sayle and Mike thing was interesting that you mentioned. I think the programme would have been equally as good if not better without either of them (though I liked Mike playing the Christmas character in Bottom, so he acted better with age!). Saying that, I think Sayle might be a bit like how I consider Ben Elton to be… a good writer, but I just can’t stand watching him act or perform.

Going back to Fawlty Towers, I am looking forward to it. I know it should be left as it is, but, I’ll take a chance that it might be ok. I think they might be 10 years too late really, as I can see a lot of the humour based on the old Fawlty not being able to use tech, and password issues etc, which I think now is old hat.

Did anyone of you see when it’s going to be done? I only heard it, so not sure of any timelines.

3 Likes

Que?

1 Like

I guess they’ll make it less ‘racist’.

They actually took the Germans episode off streaming for a while, but I think it’s back.

You mentioned it once

I’m going to bet a 100 NTD this will be a “woke” disaster.

No, Minister! You can’t remake these classics because today’s audience are too knee-jerk sensitive about everything. Hell, many people want the repeats banned.

What odds are you offering? I’m not accepting less than 50/1

Not sure where to out this, but John Cleese is going to Taipei

https://tixcraft.com/activity/detail/23_jcleese

3 Likes

I think I’ve said it before, but unfortunately he stopped being funny about 30 years ago. I might go to hear him rant about political correctness.

EDIT: No, I can’t. I’m flying back to blighty on the 4th.

2 Likes

I’d fork out the 2500NT in Kaohsiung, but not worth it for me in Taipei

He’s a legend

1 Like