Fawlty Towers

John Cleese and his daughter are doing a reboot. My gut feel is it will be a disaster as Cleese stopped being funny in the 80s. However, Rob Reiner’s on board, so perhaps I’ll be proved wrong.

Prunella Scales has got Alzheimer’s, so presumably she won’t be involved. She made the series, IMO.

1 Like

Will Manuel be back?

Sachs is dead.

1 Like

I really thought he was Spanish, ha.

1 Like

When they show Fawlty Towers in Spain he’s Greek, IIRC.

4 Likes

i hope it will be good.
Not Cleese related, but I wouldnt mind if one day they will remake "Yes Minister "

3 Likes

Just watch the House of Commons debates

2 Likes

Margaret Thatcher’s favourite programme, IIRC.

Now THAT is a glorious quiz fact. Love it.

2 Likes

I don’t know, sounds like the kiss of death to me. Reiner’s lost a lot of his sense of humor since his Spinal Tap days.

1 Like

Actually, they did remake Yes Prime Minister and it was bloody awful Yes, Prime Minister panned by UK critics - BBC News

When Flowery Twats show in Spain they tried to make Manuel Italian and it didn’t work. When broadcast in Catalunya they made him Mexican and it seemed to work, and when broadcast in the Basque region he was back to Barcelona He's not from Barcelona: how Manuel became a Mexican buffoon in Catalonian version of Fawlty Towers 

I was wrong.

Third funniest movie of all time, after Life of Brian and Some Like it Hot, IMO.

That’s not really a remake. I enjoyed Yes, Prime Minister, but it wasn’t quite as good. I didn’t consider it bloody awful, for sure, but it relied on farce a bit more.

You beat me to it with the Manuel in Spain link!

I had an inkling I must be wrong because Manuel being Greek wouldn’t work with the Greek chef episode.

A classic for sure, but he hasn’t done anything funny in years. His most recent comedy was awful.

1 Like

What is it with comedians hitting middle age and then not being funny? And then not realising that they’re no longer funny?

2 Likes

The better comedians die young from alcohol and drugs. Best case scenario: Reiner just puts up the cash and doesn’t get involved in the creative process.

Comedians die at 32. Rock stars at 27.

EDIT: fuck, 33

DOUBLE EDIT: 32. Bill Hicks

1 Like

They should do an AITF next generation remake with him as the new Archie. You wouldn’t even have to tell him

1 Like