Feature writers who cannot write smooth proze

Quirky: No, in this case, you are wrong. I have never met or seen the dame in my life! I don’t even know what she looks like. But I have read her stories very often, that’s all. I know you believe in conspracies, but not here. Honest. I was just curious about her background and career path. The discussion has been eye-opening and interesting, without I think hurting her reputation at all. I am not in the mudslinging business, and never have been. - M

btw, Qirky,sir, since you met her once at the Far Eastern,dish, man, dish, in a kind way: what does she look like, how old, fashions, hair, demeanor, did you shake hands and chat. That is my dream, one day!

Wolf, laugh all you like at Lu’s pathetic lack of writing skills, but please don’t laugh at people afflicted through no fault of their own.

Sounds to me that most of you are joking around mostly about Nancy’s style and not her writing ability or grammar. In all fairness, pick up any paper in the States or Europe and this is the “style” many of them use when reporting on soft news like celebrity visits, new restaurant openings, etc. It is supposed to be exciting or jazzed up a bit. For that matter, take a gander at what passes for sports news. If you want to beef about bad writers (looking through the three English papers), even if you do not like her style and I am sure many do, you can sure as heck find a lot worse writing than Nancy’s. Give her a break.

A normal paper in the US would have different people writing stories on an entertainment page, therefore getting an electric mix of writing styles. Having to read her writing, day in and day out, for decades gets a little old.
Most of the stories she writes are so obviously payolas it hurts. I used to write for the papers here too, and getting free food in return for a puffed-up article starts to lose its attraction after, say, maybe the age of 30.

Here’s a bit of drivel from Joshua Samuel Brown in the AmCham Topics magazine: The Lighter Side of the Drought.
Aside from the author referring to himself 30 times in the story (and the copy editing errors), this is a grand example of one thing: don’t try to write humor unless you are SURE you can pull it off.
Few people can successfully and Mr. Brown is certainly not one of them. There is nothing remotely worth even a chuckle here.
This sentence grated like fingernails across a blackboard: “However, I’m not normal folk. I’m a freelance writer, often working until just before dawn and sleeping until noon.”
Well, la-de-da! How special you are indeed. No wonder you refer to yourself with such frequency.

quote:
Originally posted by CRACKPOT: Here's a bit of drivel from Joshua Samuel Brown in the AmCham Topics magazine: [url=http://amcham.com.tw/topics.php?id=217]The Lighter Side of the Drought[/url]. Aside from the author referring to himself 30 times in the story (and the copy editing errors), this is a grand example of one thing: don't try to write humor unless you are SURE you can pull it off. Few people can successfully and Mr. Brown is certainly not one of them. There is nothing remotely worth even a chuckle here. This sentence grated like fingernails across a blackboard: "However, I'm not normal folk. I'm a freelance writer, often working until just before dawn and sleeping until noon."

Having seen JSB’s articles in the Taiwan News, I always assumed he was an English teacher who dabbled in journalism.

No, he’s a raconteur. Kinda like this guy I once met years ago, who had a name card with that awful typeface (you know the one I’m talking about) and a sort of pearlescent surface, his name smack in the middle, and the four corners of the card occupied with TEACHER, WRITER, PHOTOGRAPHER, POET.

I dunno though…maybe my water’s been off too long but it didn’t seem like that bad a piece to me. It seems to have done what it set out to do. I don’t think it was intended as heavy-hitting humor or anything. The only thing I didn’t care for was the transitions – very textbooklike, I thought!

Terry