Feb 24 Betelnut Beauty Photo Exhibition

South African photographer Tobie Openshaw will hold a photo exhibition at the Hong Chong Gallery on Feb 24, 2007. Opening is at 2:30PM.

Hong Chong Gallery
396-1 Ren-ai Rd. Sec. 4
Taipei

That main pic is REALLY near my house :slight_smile:

If Tobie is going to be there I’ll bring him that Toy I promised him.

I’ve got dibs on it if he’s not there.

MMmmmm…voyeurism…

I thought you had one (or three.) Don’t you?

The exhibition opened today. If you’re even remotely curious and interested, it’s welll worth going. I was already a fan of the photos beacause I’d seen them a while ago on Flickr, but having heard Tobie’s (the photographer’s) introduction, the story behind the project, the stories of some of the girls, made it all a lot more interesting and substantial.

No matter what you think of binlan girls, or if you think of them at all, you will find out more through these photos. Talk to the photographer, if he’s there, ask him questions if you’re curious. He and his project partner have spent a lot of time interviewing these young women.

Oh, and it was surprising to find out that Tobie has never tried bin lan actually :slight_smile:

I enjoyed it. And low and behold, I was driving down past Bitan and saw a bunch of binlang booths again. You forget about this stuf when you never go more than two miles from 101. What a sheltered life I lead.

Beautiful photos. I felt like I was spying, though. And I wish I’d talked to the young betelnut girl, if she’d wanted to talk to me. (Must improve my Chinese.)

Truly Taiwanese phenomenon. No one outside Taiwan can believe that all you can buy from a bin lang xishi is nuts.

I once planned to do a masters on this and did quite a bit of leg work on it, so to speak. Pity I missed the show.

HG

Thanks so much to everyone who attended the opening of my show, and for the kind comments received. If you didn’t make the opening, it’s still up for two weeks - and in fact, I’ll be there all day Saturday with snacks and drinks on hand, if anyone wants to come around and browse and chat.

Tobie Openshaw
Photographer - Betelnut Beauty
www.flickr.com/photos/tobie_openshaw

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Truly Taiwanese phenomenon. No one outside Taiwan can believe that all you can buy from a bin lang xishi is nuts.

I once planned to do a masters on this and did quite a bit of leg work on it, so to speak. Pity I missed the show.

HG[/quote]

Not so. You can also buy beer, coffee and pocari sweat, and if you pay them $100NT more, you can give them a brief boob feel. (not all of them)

[quote=“Doctor Evil”]

[/quote]

Armani… ah yes, it’s good to be the king.

Is the gallery open Monday?

It says Feb 24th-Mar 8th on the picture, so I would assume so.